Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: my cat has a huge abcess under his jaw...

Default my cat has a huge abcess under his jaw...

Can I do anything at home? what are the vets like across the river for emergency services? I take my cat to the Chippewa animal clinic and I know its whatever vet is available but is it as expensive as here for emergency service. If I wait till monday can I wait till monday? Is this something that needs to be looked at now for the health of my cat? Any opinions would be helpful. Ann

I got this from googling it.

Cat bites and abcesses
    Almost all skin abcesses that cats get are due to fighting with other cats, so if you are woken by cats screaming in the night, check your cat the next day for signs of injury. Abcesses an take one to three days to develop after a fight and often the initial signs are only a scab or a tooth mark. As the abcess builds, your cat will tend to become lethargic and go off its food, and you may notice a painful swelling – typically around the head, on the tail base or on the legs. Most lameness in cats occurs from fighting. The abcess may burst, in which case the cat will start to feel better. However, without antibiotics the abcess will usually scab over and reform. It is always wise to seek veterinary attention for a cat abcess whether lancing (opening the abcess) is needed or not.
    LIFE IS SHORT: BREAK THE RULES! FORGIVE QUICKLY! LAUGH UNCONTROLLABLY! KISS SLOWLY! LOVE TRULY!

Default Re: my cat has a huge abscess under his jaw...

Why not call them and find out if they recommend bringing it in now? I don't know about Chippewa but I called Sault Animal Hospital once on a friday night and they met me there as soon as I could make it. The cat ended up being there for a couple of nights and needed some medication, she was having convulsions though we never did find out why. The cost was around a hundred dollars total so I think it's safe to say it is not nearly as expensive as here.

I'd call. If the abcess was on kitty's butt, that's one thing, but this one is relatively close to the brain. Call them and find out what they say, it may be able to wait for regular office hours. Poor kitty.

thanks, it stinks! I can see the wound but its all covered over and my husband is no help at all with this. He has a bad gag reflex.
    LIFE IS SHORT: BREAK THE RULES! FORGIVE QUICKLY! LAUGH UNCONTROLLABLY! KISS SLOWLY! LOVE TRULY!

tasma5, this is what happened to my cat. On the same day we were going to the vet , I picked her up and her abcess broke and it smelled like crap. The vet had to remove all of the surrounding tissue and stitch her up. It cost big bucks but all that was important is that she was okay.

Thats what I'm hoping is that it will burst on its own. But he isn't eating or drinking either. I just force fed him some water. The puncture mark where the abcess started is closed over. I put peroxide and water on it and tried to puncture it myself to open it up.

Banned

last year my cat ( she has very thick and long fur) started too loose her hair, her back and tail were completely bald and all [censored] and raw and stunk i got really scared, i went to the pet store and bought this spray called PET AID is was 14 dollars a bottle and it work for cats dogs and even horses, it heals just about everything, i sprayed my cat with this for a week and her fur grew back it took the raw and [censored] away, the pet store lady said it ll heal just about anything form abscesses to infections to abrasions and so on,. i suggest buying some of that first before paying lots of money at a vet, u will be surprised how well this stuff work. I swear buy it, it is awesome stuff..

oh ya the only place that carries it is penny pets on northern avenue.

I wouldnt chance it. Id bring him to the vet. Arent the vets on call across the River?
    Adopting one pet will not change the world but, it will change the world for that one pet.

chances are it was infected way before it burst or swelled. bet you could wait till monday. depending on how the kitty is acting.

he's been lethargic for two plus days and his breath was revolting Friday, but he is still alert and I give him water with a dropper. I will wait till Monday and then get my hubby to bring him in across the river for me.

dont let him dehydrate, bet its a tooth. keep us posted

If the cat wont drink, give an electrolyte solution by syringe into his cheek pouch. Pedialyte can be given to cats, two to four millileters per pound body weight per hour. I would personally be bring this cat to the vet on call right now though.
    If hes severely dehyrdated dont give too much water at once otherwise he will puke it up and loose more water.
    Adopting one pet will not change the world but, it will change the world for that one pet.

unless you really know what you are doing i wouldn't risk playing around with it, especially if the cat isn't eating or drinking...take it to the vet. abscesses can become nasty infections, not to mention they can be quite painful to the cat.

how is the cat doing?
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam, which means "Either I will find a way or I will make one."

how's your cat today?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orchid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">unless you really know what you are doing i wouldn't risk playing around with it, especially if the cat isn't eating or drinking...take it to the vet. abscesses can become nasty infections, not to mention they can be quite painful to the cat. </div></div>

I agree. I hope your kitty is ok, but I'd get it to the vet asap.
    Somewhere in a lonely hotel room
    there’s a guy starting to realize
    That eternal fate has turned it's back on him
    It's two a.m.

did you go to the vet yet?

Hi sorry I just got him back today from the vet. He feels humilitated he has a huge cone on his head and a tube in his neck from one side to the other! I have to clean the wound and give him antibiotics but he is here to tell another tale. He even ran outside today and tried to get under my vehicle with that cone on his head. Needless to say, I caught him pretty quick. I don't know how far he thought he could get with a tube sticking out of his face and the cone on his head! What a dork! Thanks for your concern, its really appreciated and I hope to meet all of you soon. Ann

YAH! glade to here he is fine. was it a tooth? did they know what caused the absecess?

Glad to hear you got him in and he's ok!!
    Somewhere in a lonely hotel room
    there’s a guy starting to realize
    That eternal fate has turned it's back on him
    It's two a.m.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information