Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kitca.......or anyone esle who can answer

Senior Member EyelashExtensions's Avatar

Default Kitca.......or anyone esle who can answer

Will frost hurt my seeds? Should I start covering my flower beds at night?

Kitca you need to enable your private messages

Default Re: Kitca.......or anyone esle who can answer

i know, but i dont know how? i tried and got all confused and frustrated!

no, frost wont hurt hardy seeds. hardy ones are the ones that just reseed natrually (like all the ones i gave you) and probably most of the ones you have too. but, you are better off to wait till spring to sow them.

the problem in the spring is when they start to grow in hot weather then we get a frost, that is when they can get killed off. especially tender ones like petunias, impatients etc.

i have never had a problem with the ones that have reseeded, like the godetia even. i didnt plant them, they just fell off the plant and then grew the next summer. and they didnt seem to start growing till it was warm enough either.

if you seed them now , and they sit over winter, they will take longer to acutally sprout, so later in spring....or if it gets cold, fora few days, andthey by some freak incident, it gets warm fora few weeks, they will germinate....

I was wondering because the godetia, scarlet flax and white poppys still have lots of seeds to mature. I want to collect as much of them as I can.

oh ya, depending on how hardy they are they can continue to develope their seeds. and if the frost does get them you can always try just letting them dry out in the sun and see if they will keep developing, at that point youve got nothing to loose anyway.

thanks for the seeds you gave me. im very excited about them! your scarlet flzx is wonderful

Yes and thanks to you too....I can't find anything about the Victoria stuff....Not sure what the last part of its name is. I tried a bunch of variations and nothing. I was going to PM a thanks lol. Hopefully I'll have more for you soon. I have some love in the mist ready, but as soon as I have some more I'll send them your way.

thanks. it is victoria balsom, why does that look like the wrong spelling? it is in the impatients family because it throws its seeds when touched. if i find anything on it i will link it to you.

Well I found some information on Balsam Impatiens, not specifically Victoria balsam but I got a general idea now. What was the other plants you wanted me to look at that you thought I might like? A horny plant lol and the sage?

lol! no, not horney, but horminum - tricolored sage. i wish i had seeds i would give them to you, but after years of reseeding they are finially gone.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information