Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Synthetic oil?

Default Synthetic oil?

anyone here use synthetic oil

what are the benfits and do u need to use special oil filters

Default Re: Synthetic oil?

less friction than conventional oil.. frees up horsepower (so they say)

can use normal oil filters or can use the ones designed for synthetic oil (few bucks more)

doesn't breakdown as easily as conventional oil so you get more mileage out of it

less friction = better peformance and longer engine life.. it's worth the switch

Banned
    Intersection of Hwy. 49 & 61 Clarksdale, Mississippi

No such thing as a true synthetic available, hasn't been since the middle sixties.

Today's systhetics are modified regular oils.

With todays engines easily outlasting the rest of the car, who needs it??

i agree who needs it i have 350 000km on my motor and do an oil change every 5000k and i use cheap oil it makes no differace u just got to do regular maintnence and u wont have problems

drench yourself in words unspoken, live your life with arms wide open...

my car uses sythetic and the one thing that I LOVE about it is that you don't have to "warm the car up" before driving it, give it a few seconds to let the oil get moving and even if it is freezing out you are good to go, the dealership told us last winter when we were complaining about not having an automatic start that it wasn't nesessary to let it run, better for gas consumption to not have to let it run too.

other than that it lasts longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    my car uses sythetic and the one thing that I LOVE about it is that you don't have to "warm the car up" before driving it, give it a few seconds to let the oil get moving and even if it is freezing out you are good to go, the dealership told us last winter when we were complaining about not having an automatic start that it wasn't nesessary to let it run, better for gas consumption to not have to let it run too.

other than that it lasts longer.
    The dealer told you that??

I wonder what other fantasies he told (sold)you??

You don't have to do that with ANY type of oil. Run for 30 seconds and go.

I used synthetic in one of my diesels and found it started much easier in cold weather. YMMV.

dont let it warm up humm i think pistons and rings will go through the block any motor needs time to warm up to properly seat it self into place its just like a horse u walk it before it runs so it dont get hurt

Synthetic oil is more consistent at the chemical level...and stays that way (it doesn't break down over its lifespan as much as conventional oil does).

This means that, theoretically, you can go longer between oil changes (although you still shouldnt).....but this also means that your engine is getting "better oil" all the time...and in the looong run, it is better.

Another advantage to synthetic oil is that it stays thinner to much colder temperatures...which means easier starts in the winter, and better lubicration right off the bat (the most wear on your engine occurs at startups).

Synthetic also handles higher temperatures, although this shouldn't be an issue for anyone driving in normal street conditions. Many race cars, however, use synthetic for this reason.

All that said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with conventional oil...but there are definite benefits to synthetic. It's just personal opinion on if you want to pay a little more for it.

drench yourself in words unspoken, live your life with arms wide open...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Morris View Post
    The dealer told you that??

I wonder what other fantasies he told (sold)you??

You don't have to do that with ANY type of oil. Run for 30 seconds and go.

it was after we bought the car, we bought it because we liked it not because it had synthetic oil. We thought thats why cars had warm up, guess we're wrong, either way our car does not need to warm up before driving it, the mechanic who does the maintenance told us, I doubt they would tell us something that would damage the car, since THEY have to cover it if anything goes wrong! LOL.
    If you saw what my Jetta's engine looks like maybe you'd understand better, it looks way different than older cars, the whole thing is cased in plastic.

I still do like the synthetic oil since we only have to change it once a year.

J*B

It appears that they are saying this is true synthetic oil..

http://www.enhancedsyntheticoil.com/

Quote Originally Posted by J*B View Post
    It appears that they are saying this is true synthetic oil..

http://www.enhancedsyntheticoil.com/

A true synthetic would NOT have ANY fossil oil as a source or base. The oil in the article sure SEEMS to say that is the case, but I believe it's just marketing.
    Modern synthetics still use crude oil as a base.
    The Germans made true synthetics during WW2, but they have not been available since the early sixties.

Quote Originally Posted by CjGaughan View Post

Another advantage to synthetic oil is that it stays thinner to much colder temperatures...which means easier starts in the winter, and better lubicration right off the bat (the most wear on your engine occurs at startups).
    This is the exact reason why I use it.
    CANADA................"often imitated but never duplicated"

id use synthetic if it didn't all leak out and burn before reaping the benefits of it

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information