Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Emma

Unhappy My Emma

Well this is super hard but I don't know what else to do. I need to find someone to take my Emma Bella. I have to work and I can't be here all the time to keep an eye on her so she doesn't chew through her bandages. I'm not asking for money just someone that will take excellent care of her and can stay with her until her tail is completely healed...if anyone can help me I'd appreciate it. She is such a sweet dog and so smart. Ush this is making me cry but I have to think of what's best for her...

Last edited by **Owens Mommy**; 11-03-2008 at 09:14 AM.
    I Am a Firm Believer in Karma...."You Get Back from The Universe what you put into it..."

Default Re: My Emma

Have you tried finding a doggie sitter for when you are at work?
    If you want the best seat in the house, move the dog.

I have and my family has been very helpful but they can't be here all the time either...last night she was alone for 2 hours while I was at work and she chewed through her bandages again...I can't miss work tho for this I have to take care of my son and I just started a month ago at my job....I just don't know what to do....
    I Am a Firm Believer in Karma...."You Get Back from The Universe what you put into it..."

In case you can't get anyone to watch Emma, have you tried a cone on her?

Owen's Mom.
    it's been over a week since her operation hasn't it?
    I think ( and I may get shot down here) that Emma's tail will be just fine.
    My dogs have had injuries such as bites and cuts.
    All I've done was wash the wound, clean it with peroxide and left it alone.

The dog licked it constantly, and kept it clean herself. she never got any infection.
    If Emma has been on antibiotics, the tail will probably be fine.
    Dogs, like wolves, instinctively know to lick their wounds to keep them clean

My cat was once bit by a Dachshund and he took a quarter-size piece out of her. This was way back in the seventies when hardly anyone took their pets to a vet.
    she kept it clean and it healed quite nicely and completely .

Honestly if it was my dog, I wouldn't be too concerned . From what I've seen, the dog licking it may actually help it to heal faster.

Again, this has just been my own experience. do whatever makes you feel comfortable
    Good Luck.

If you want to put Emma up for adoption, send me her photo and I will put it up on our site for you to try and find her a great home.
    karen
    e-mail: karen@soonews.ca
    If animals don't go to Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went.~
    Unknown

it's just that she keeps chewing at her stitches...the stitches have to come out next week....I'm trying wrapping it in tin foil to see if that deters her

I on another posting you tried a cone, does your vet have a larger size? That might be what she needs.

she has the longest cone on and they duct taped 2 cones together cause she figured out how to bend the cone back to chew at her tail

Some years back we had an old sheppard and lab. He had a cyst on he hind leg. We found the cone too flexible and ended up cutting the bottom out of a bucket and attaching it to his collar. I wouldn't leave it on all the time, but when no-one is there to take care of her it might help. If I didn't work I'd offer to babysit for you.
    Attitude is contagious - is your's worth catching?
    The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..
    Make peace with your past, so it wont spoil the present

oh ma, that is so nice of you to offer. i hate to see having to give up emma. this is just a short time to get through.

if she is just licking at them, like karen says, it should be ok, as long as she isnt trying to chew them out, just licking.

hope you can get something worked out.

wow I say take the bandage off and she wont even bother her tail. it is dried and she wont feel the stiches she is chewing because of the bandage. Wont hurt to try it , would it? make sure you are home. then when you go away put the cone on but leave the Bandage off. I bet it WORKS

try a basket type muzzle... that should prevent her from getting her teeth close enough to the stitches and will still allow her to drink, pant, etc.

Well my sister came here last night to babysit my son and Emma while I worked...in the 10 mins it took her to pick me up she chewed throught the tin foil and bandages...where can I Buy a muzzle from....Yips? Do you have them there? Would it be ok to put Polysporin on the part that's still bleeding? It just looks like she got the scab off...it wasn't gushing blood by any means just a little spotting...

When we had our females spaid, I had bought a bottle of some kind of bitter from the vet. If they licked at the area it was sprayed on they would froth at the mouth and soon learnt to leave that area alone. I can't remember what it was called, but I only had to use it a few times. It might be worth it to call your vet and ask.

They sprayed it on her tail...my girl is one persistant dog....she kept at it....we'll be fine I think...I just gotta stay on it

i don't know much about dogs, but i agree with some other on here, just let it be, when it hurts she'll stop chewing
    my baby was spayed beg of oct (kitten) i swear, she came home she was all weird lovey dovey then it was like nothing happened! she was a freak all night, running, jumping etc.....never seen a cat do this the day she was fixed...
    when / if they feel pain they will stop
    oh ya she licked the crap out of her wound (not huge) but i was so stressed about her licking, meanwhile....i really stressed for nothing
    good luck with your dog
    everything will be fine

At the shelter we have had dog with tail wounds we tried to fix it but we it was more work then it was worth we left it a lone and it was Fine. They dont bother it as much, trust me ,,,,,,on this just try it.

im in a secret location, due to my popularity..

Quote Originally Posted by **Owens Mommy** View Post
    Well my sister came here last night to babysit my son and Emma while I worked...in the 10 mins it took her to pick me up she chewed throught the tin foil and bandages...where can I Buy a muzzle from....Yips? Do you have them there? Would it be ok to put Polysporin on the part that's still bleeding? It just looks like she got the scab off...it wasn't gushing blood by any means just a little spotting...
    You can buy muzzles alomst anywere i belive in town/walmart/zellers and probly all pet stores but u have to get her snout measuared.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information