Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: genettis

Default genettis

does anyone have a good resipe for genettis I lost mine, and they dont have that on the internet. ty.
    yesterday is history,Tomorrow is a mystery. and today is a gift.

Default Re: genettis

Hi LIke - I have a good recipe - its in a magazine at home - I'll try to remember to get it to you after work today.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LIKETOWIN View Post
    does anyone have a good resipe for genettis I lost mine, and they dont have that on the internet. ty.

i just found this one online, and it sounds like the recipe i had, there are a few on the internet, just type in genettis recipes, but here it is

Ingredients:-
    6 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup oil
    3-1/2 cups flour
    6 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon anisette

Method:-
    Preheat oven to 400F.
    In a bowl, beat eggs well. Add vanilla, blend in sugar and oil. Beat well, add anisette.
    Sift flour with baking powder, add to egg mixture.
    Mix with a spoon, then turn out of the bowl and knead lightly to form a ball. Cut slices from ball; roll them to form long round strips. These should be approximately 2-inches long. Twist, place on lightly floured pans.
    Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
    ***Check bottom of cookies to make sure they are not getting brown. When cool ice with butter icing, you may flavour and colour icing if desired.

Makes a large amount.

Banned

Ingredients

* 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 3 large eggs
    * 1/2 cup canola oil
    * 1/2 cup whole milk
    * 1/2 cup white sugar
    * 5 teaspoons baking powder
    * 3 teaspoons anise extract or anise flavoring
    * 3 cups all-purpose flour

Directions

Beat eggs with oil and sugar five minutes.

Combine the milk and anise flavour.

Combine the flour and salt and baking powder.

Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients.

Make a soft, very soft dough.

Soft but not sticky.

If you add too much flour they will be dry cookies.

Roll pieces of dough into finger lengths,and widths, and shape into a figure 8.

Bake on parchment lined cookie sheet.

Bake 375F for 10 minutes, just bottoms slightly golden.

Tops should have no colour.

Frost with a glaze of butter, icing powder, and anise flavour; drop of milk.

thank-you so much.
    yesterday is history,Tomorrow is a mystery. and today is a gift.

Banned

np im glad i found them , i lost all my recipes in the move, i think next weekend im going to do some baking for xmas, when we go to spend time at my parents s house xmas eve and xmas day, then my aunts for boxing day. I love to bake, and i would like to bring some baking to my family's during the holidays and also have some for home incase people pop in.

i just spent the whole morning making them with a master itallian lady baker. her ginettis are the best!

6 eggs
    1 c oil
    1 c milk
    1 c sugar
    1/4 c orange juice
    2-3 cups flour - use your discretion as you are handling the dough
    5or6 tsp baking powder (i ll have to check) mix with the first cup of flour
    (she uses the anise flavoring in the icing)
    use a little bowl with oil for your fingers to help shape the figure 8's. and oil the outside of them before baking, it helps keep them soft.

bake at 350 and let cool. make sure not to open the oven while they are baking, especially in the first 10 minutes.

for icing, use icing sugar and milk, make a fairly thick paste. add lots of anise to taste. spread liberally on cookies and let 'set' on a tray before transferring them to your plates or containers. this lets any extra icing pool off, but it should be thick enough that not too much does. if you wnt to freeze them, freeze them on the tray first then you can put them on top of each other between wax paper to store.

Never put the anise in the cookie. It makes them hard and dry.

My master Italian lady makes the best genetti's I've ever had. She gave me her recipe, and I make them every Christmas. I just moved, so I don't know where it is yet, but it sounded like Kitca's recipe until the juice. I know it calls for a lot of baking powder as well (about 16 tblsp)

As for icing. Water, anise flavouring, and icing sugar only until it reaches the proper consistency.
    I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

"I cannot live on bread alone...the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - RWGR, 2008

"I did not eat today. I do not need to eat any day, because the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - Aristotle, 2014

"There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people; Religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus Van Pelt

"If there is a god, why did he make me an atheist?" - Ricky Gervais

I'm also looking for this recipe, I want to make them for my b/f's family (they have NEVER even heard of them lol .. poor people don't know what they are missing) but none of these seem quite right.

Lynys if you happen to find yours could you PM it to me please ? I agree with not putting the anise in the cookie (only in the icing) so I'd love to try the recipe you have.

Thank you.

Or if anyone has those cookbooks that HOLY FAMILY school used to sell (I remember them from like 10 years ago) I think that's where I got the recipe I used to use when I lived back home. If anyone has one of those books, it would mean a lot if you could scan thorugh and see if there is one in there .... I can't wait to make them, I'm so excited.

Thank you.
    .Wheresoever.you.go.
    .go.with.all.your.heart.

.Confucius.

lynys, i had never heard of the orange juice either. i think it is her 'secret' ingredient. they are just fantastic - i just cant exactly remember how much baking powder. they are so soft and yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by hollyb6 View Post
    I'm also looking for this recipe, I want to make them for my b/f's family (they have NEVER even heard of them lol .. poor people don't know what they are missing) but none of these seem quite right.

Lynys if you happen to find yours could you PM it to me please ? I agree with not putting the anise in the cookie (only in the icing) so I'd love to try the recipe you have.

Thank you.

Or if anyone has those cookbooks that HOLY FAMILY school used to sell (I remember them from like 10 years ago) I think that's where I got the recipe I used to use when I lived back home. If anyone has one of those books, it would mean a lot if you could scan thorugh and see if there is one in there .... I can't wait to make them, I'm so excited.

Thank you.
    I will be digging out my cookbook sometime this week.

"I cannot live on bread alone...the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - RWGR, 2008

"I did not eat today. I do not need to eat any day, because the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - Aristotle, 2014

"There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people; Religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus Van Pelt

Yeah hurry dad was whining about getting some genettis

Dad whines about genetti's, buttertarts, cookies, etc. I am just gonna give him abox of baking for Christmas this year, then laugh when he can't eat them cause of the diabetes. hahahahaha

Sweet
    Thanks Lynys.
    .Wheresoever.you.go.
    .go.with.all.your.heart.

.Confucius.

Genettis

6 eggs
    1 c. sugar
    1 c. oil
    1 c. milk
    4 c. flour (more if necessary)
    16 tblsp baking powder

I mix all ingredients in my Kitchenaid, adding flour gradually. When it reaches a good consistency for rolling, start the rolling. You will need to oil your hands and the counter top very well so it does not stick.

I bake them at 375, but it depends on your oven how long. I keep an eye on the first batch, and when it starts to brown on the bottom, they are done. Allow to cool for a few minutes, then remove from baking sheet. They must cool completely before icing.

For the icing, I put some water in a small bowl with anise (about a tblsp) Add icing sugar and mix well until you get a good consistency (not too thick) Dunk the top of each cookie in the icing and allow to drip off slightly. Place them on a plate or waxed paper and allow the icing to dry.

Okay. I baked my genetti tonight. Ten minutes at 375 degrees is what it took. They are good!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information