Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LCD vs. Plasma tv's

Default LCD vs. Plasma tv's

Which is better and why?
    Racing is not a sport, it's a lifestyle.

Default Re: LCD vs. Plasma tv's

i dunno how to explain it, but plasma seems to have a much crisper picture. i just got a plasma and it was sitting side by side with an lcd.

lcd's are lighter, use less energy, make less heat. yes they dont make perfect black, but in my comparisons (and i love looking at TV's) they produce a better picture

Ya, plasma is suppose to be the better picture, the new LCD's are doing quite good. I myself went plasma just a month ago. Panasonic seems to be one of the best plasma makers out there. Many companies are going to be using panasonic's plasma's and then just re-naming them. The 2 biggest companies out there in plasma are panason and toshiba. The rest are basically just using one of these companies screens and just re-naming them to their own brand.

Yes I have to agree they do put off a lot of heat... so far I have not turned my heat on in my room yet. Between my computer and tv, my room is sitting at a nice 21 degrees.

The one thing I noticed is the half life of the screen fading is nearly double that of LCD. LCD's are about 60,000 hours and plasma's are 100,000 hour. Basically the plasma's colours will stay more true over the long term before things fade and the screen gets darker...

i heard for fast moving action plasma was better

Quote Originally Posted by Fudd Rucker View Post
    i dunno how to explain it, but plasma seems to have a much crisper picture. i just got a plasma and it was sitting side by side with an lcd.
    I find the opposite; LCDs are much more crisper, but plasmas have more of a "natural" softer picture.

There is no "better" when it comes to flat panel choice. Let your eyes do your judging. Go and look at them side by side and take your time.....and have fun doing it...

-they both use the same amount of power - it really depends on model and brand - check this chart out you would be surprised:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6475_7-6400401-3.html

-they both have great contrast and black levels
    -Image retention is not a problem on plasmas and ghosting and motion blurr is non existent on recent LCD diplays.
    -Plasmas DO very well in bright rooms due to anti-glare coatings on the recent plasma displays - so the old "if you have a bright room LCD is your only choice" point is BS with the newer plasma displays
    -they both have the same life expectancy

If you are looking at something in the 50 inch range plasma displays are the best "bang for your buck", 42 inch range there are mixture of prices in both plasma and LCD, and below 42 inch LCD is pretty much your only choice although I think VIZO or LG makes a 37 inch plasma....
    Last edited by 403_forbidden; 11-25-2008 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 403_forbidden View Post
    I find the opposite; LCDs are much more crisper, but plasmas have more of a "natural" softer picture.

There is no "better" when it comes to flat panel choice. Let your eyes do your judging. Go and look at them side by side and take your time.....and have fun doing it...
    I did have fun doing it lol. The wife finally got a taste of her own medicine (shoe shopping) when i went and picked out our new tv last week. After 70 min i finally decided on my LG plasma and i couldnt be happier.

I keep hearing from alot of people LCD's are better.
    Racing is not a sport, it's a lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by rmkryan View Post
    I keep hearing from alot of people LCD's are better.
    Please read my post above....don't let other people talk you into a TV, it's a major expense....take your time and look at many of the models and brands in your size range. This is a good time of year to shop for TVs.....LCD and plasma are at par with each other

Banned
    Intersection of Hwy. 49 & 61 Clarksdale, Mississippi

If you have a bright room plasma fades or softens.
    LCD doesn't seem to be affected the same.
    The 120hz LCD eliminates ghosting when watching sports.
    1080p 120hz LCD is awesome, plain and simple.
    I watch a 52" 1080p 120hz Toshiba LCD.
    My Dad watches an older 42" Panasonic Vierra Plasma.
    I win!

We are looking at getting an LCD. It was sitting right beside a Plasma in the showroom, and the LCD looked much better. Also, we don't have a lot of space to work with, so I think it will suit us better in the long run.
    I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

"I cannot live on bread alone...the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - RWGR, 2008

"I did not eat today. I do not need to eat any day, because the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - Aristotle, 2014

"There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people; Religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus Van Pelt

"If there is a god, why did he make me an atheist?" - Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JackButler View Post
    If you have a bright room plasma fades or softens.
    LCD doesn't seem to be affected the same.
    The 120hz LCD eliminates ghosting when watching sports.
    1080p 120hz LCD is awesome, plain and simple.
    I watch a 52" 1080p 120hz Toshiba LCD.
    My Dad watches an older 42" Panasonic Vierra Plasma.
    I win!
    Personally, the only flat panel TV I have is a Sharp 1080p 42 inch and I like it for what I am using it for. I have connected my PC up to it and played games and have no ghosting what so ever. When you are comparing your LCD against your Dad's older plasma keep in mind it is an older plasma......compare your LCD against a new plasma - Panasonic or Pioneer and you may think differently....but it boils down to what you like...if you like the softer natural movie theatre look than a plasma is for you....if you like a crisp sharper image than and LCD is for you.....a buddy of mine has both a newer LCD and a plasma set....he likes to watch hockey on the LCD because the ice looks "whiter" and he likes to whatch football on his plasma as the turf looks "greener"...that's his take on it....

...also keep in mind TV calibration...most TVs in the show room aren't calibrated and default to tourch mode with contrast and brightness turned to 100% full.....LCDs will always look brighter and jump out at you due to their backlighting.......what you need to do when you have TVs side by side is to turn them to their movie or theatre mode and view them in this mode as it will be close to the NTSC standards (fine tuning will be required when you get home)......Also, when looking at LCDs view from different angles as some LCDs suffer badly from off angle viewing PQ loss.....if you are looking at a LCD PC monitor try moving 45 degrees off to the side and you will see what I mean.....some of the newer LCDs have good off angle viewing , but that is something to take note of when shopping for TVs.....

...or you can avoid all of this, have no buryers remorse, and get the best flat panel TV out there:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/POC...PRO-151FD.Kuro

I rest my case

wow..... my wife is still nagging me bout the 1400$ in total we spent on our LG plasma.(and its a mighty fine tv might i add). That tv she would have me killed on the way home lol

Banned
    Intersection of Hwy. 49 & 61 Clarksdale, Mississippi

Some people maybe......

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...n100473n100460

I mean, I paid just over $2,000.00 for my 52", so....
    It's not $5,000.00 better, no way!

Chaotic Chick

Quote Originally Posted by 403_forbidden View Post
    Please read my post above....don't let other people talk you into a TV, it's a major expense....take your time and look at many of the models and brands in your size range. This is a good time of year to shop for TVs.....LCD and plasma are at par with each other
    I agree. People were telling me what they thought was best, but when it came down to it we went to the store (Fudd Rucker and I) and looked at them side by side. We chose the LG plasma because we liked the picture on it. We got a great deal, and we are very happy with it. We looked at TV's for a couple of months before we made that decision though.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information