Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Somethings wrong

Xibit

Default Somethings wrong

My car has had some recent overheating issues, it used to leak coolant like crazy and I recently replaced the rad and fixed that problem, but there is more. I can drive my car anywere in town for pritty well any length of time without a problem but when i go on the highway at speeds of 80-90km/h after about 15 mins or so my car starts to slowly overheat and hit the Hot zone, I cant figure out why. I stop my car and my overflow resivour is steaming and bubbling? My coolant is slowly leaking out of it somewere i think but I just dont know whats wrong with it at all. I cant go on a trip without that fixed. Any help?

Default Re: Somethings wrong

question for ya.....do u have the proper flow going through the rad? could be a blocked heater core...thermostat could be faulty..ie.stuck closed i do believe but if i am wrong someone correct me...a rad hose could of collapsed internally.....could be a variety...
    Dale Earnhardt Sr...is the No 1 Driver in Nascar History..

what kind of car is it?

J*B

Also the water pump could be suspect..

Xibit

its a 99 dodge neon, i always supected the thermostat, they are not expensive i could replace that

its a neon....i wouldn't be surprised to see a blown head gasket.....very common on these cars....

also, troubleshoot properly and fix the issue the first time, don't go replacing parts you don't need, otherwise you will spend huge$$$$$$

Xibit

Wouldnt it overheat right away tho if it was a head gasket?

Remove the rad cap and run the engine up to operating temperature. Look in the rad when warm , if you see bubbles you likely have a head gasket gone. If you have copious amounts of white ( sweet smelling ) exhaust, you likely have a head gasket gone. With the cap off and the engine at operating temperature there should be periodic but definite movement in the coolant.
    Make sure your coolant is up to strength and not freezing at highway speeds. At highway speeds the coolant can and will jell and therefore not flow.
    You might also have a problem with a plugged radiator, either interior or exterior. Exterior you can reverse flush with a garden hose and good pressure. Simply wash from the engine compartment toward the outside.
    If you suspect an interior restriction you will have to purchase a quality rad flush and follow instructions. When you do this keep two containers of ALUMASEAL handy just in case you cause any leaks.
    Replace the rad cap and watch the upper and lower rad hoses and assure they don't collapse thereby creating a restriction.
    Failing all of this you may have a vapour lock. Your water pump was created to pump water not air. When an air pocket reaches the impeller it ceases all movement in the cooling system.
    Your assumption regarding the thermostat is not unwarranted either.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

when was the water pump and timing belt changed they are supposed to be changed together as the pump is runed by the timing belt and it is a 4hr job to change them both

Quote Originally Posted by Xibit View Post
    Wouldnt it overheat right away tho if it was a head gasket?
    No. BTDT.

Xibit

if it helps i also loose all my heat in the car when it starts to over heat and it takes a long time to kick in in the morning and also when the car is stopped the heat gets cold when im on the gas its warm??? i dont get it

That is indicative of restricted coolant flow. This could be caused by a worn impeller, loose drive belt, or low coolant.
    You make it difficult to help as you don't let us know what you are, and are not trying. Without seeing the vehicle it's hard enough, but if your going to keep any and all information 'classified', our collective hands are tied.
    Joseph Joubert

Xibit

Lol there is no more classified information and tonight my friend is coming to help me with the long post you replied to see if that works

Giterdun!
    Joseph Joubert

My guess would be head gasket leaking on #1 cyl allowing exhaust gas to pressurize the cooling system.

Quote Originally Posted by Anapeg View Post
    That is indicative of restricted coolant flow. This could be caused by a worn impeller, loose drive belt, or low coolant.
    You make it difficult to help as you don't let us know what you are, and are not trying. Without seeing the vehicle it's hard enough, but if your going to keep any and all information 'classified', our collective hands are tied.
    drive belt for the water pump is the timing belt if it was lose there would be a timing issue with the car

Xibit

where is the belt drive for the water pump located?

I thought the Chrysler four cylinders had an auxiliary drive on the back, top of the engine for the water pump? (immediately over the transmission)
    Joseph Joubert

If you decide to change it remember to purchase new head bolts along with the gasket set. The old bolts will be stretched and won't torque down properly.
    Joseph Joubert

nope most cars now that have a timming belt runs the water pump as well so ppl will change both at the same time for better preventative maintnece wich i think is good but on the down side is to make money by changing both at the same time

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information