Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another Draft Choice Doesn't Want to Come Here

GRUMPY

Default Another Draft Choice Doesn't Want to Come Here

It appears as if this years number one choice might rather go to the States to continue his education rather than play here. If this is the case I guess the Hounds have no choice but to wish him the best in his choice and the best in school.But also remind him that if it doesn't work out he can always feel free to come back to the Soo.
    http://www.saultstar.com/webapp/sitepage...ssif=OHL+Corner

Default Re: Another Draft Choice Doesn't Want to Come Her

Ya Grumper! It seemed to start with Lindros (Bonnies Baby). These kids want to control where they will go when drafted. As a hockey parent I have asked kids bdfore " if a team drafts you, would you report there" and all the kids said "I would be honored to play anywhere that I was drafted". Sad to say these kids all had heart, they probably would not get the chance to be drafted but they showed heart. Its too bad because a lot of kids would like the chance to play Major Jr. A.
    The General managers of these teams have got to get together and say, "We drafted you, we retain your rights, and if you do not play for us, too bad, you will sit out or try your luck at the U.S. college level." That way the league would be a better balance........
    Have a Great Day!

GRUMPY

While I will agree with you to a certain point,where they are trying to control which OHL team they go to I think that they have every right to go the American university route. If my son asked me which way to go I honestly would have a hard time telling him to go to the OHL route. One way you get a "maybe" shot at the big times and the other you get a free education that would cost at least $100,000(US) and a "maybe" shot at the big times. It would be interesting to know the total % of the kids who enter the OHL that move on to the NHL for at least 5 years.

Yes you are right, nice to get a free ride for education, provided you are smart enough and not just using this for a ploy to control a place where you would prefer to play. I certainly would pick a full ride schalorship for my kid over an OHL team if he had the smarts and gumption to finish the schooling.
    Have a Great Day!

GRUMPY

I forgot to add another plus for the university side and that's a faster more skilled oriented system not like the goonery of the OHL. If you get a chance next year take in a game across the river. I'd sure like to see a game between the Hounds and the Lakers, to me the main question would be how long would it take the hound players to start barfing from the fast skating.

I took in a couple of Lakers games last year and it is a real fast paced game. Boy can those guys move the puck.
    Have a Great Day!

GRUMPY

The Hounds could never keep up so it would be only a matter of time and it would be all clutching and grabbing.

GRUMPY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wing Nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes you are right, nice to get a free ride for education, provided you are smart enough and not just using this for a ploy to control a place where you would prefer to play. I certainly would pick a full ride schalorship for my kid over an OHL team if he had the smarts and gumption to finish the schooling. </div></div>

There's also another plus too for the American route, a player can in his final year quit the University and come back to junior hockey and by doing so becomes an unrestricted free agent in the NHL (if he'd been drafted). So by going that route he can then peddle his wares to the highest bidder.

Yeh but maybe the team would say we don't want you in your last year. Besides the last year they would be 20.

GRUMPY

There always a team that would take them.

GRUMPY

I get a kick out of those who feel that seeing the OHL was kind enough to draft them that the kids have to play there.

I really don't care who drafts them But I thought even if they don't report...............they are still owned by the team that drafted them

Why is this? Did they have a choice in who drafted them?
    No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen

I am sure that the team that drafts them retains their rights, it is up to the team that drafts them to either trade them, or let them sit and not give in to their demands. This was the case with Lindros, the hounds waited a year before trading his rights to Oshawa. I could be wrong on that but that is what I understand!
    Have a Great Day!

GRUMPY

Actually Mr nut I don't think that if the player is being honest that they want to go the American route that they'd care who has their rights. However while I totally agree with their rights to choose which route they take I don't agree with their using the system to get to play on the team of their choice. If the kid want to and does opt to go to the States the hounds should hold his rights and not trade them.

An examp;e of this(in the NHL) is Jack Johnson went to college.)(of course he is an American).......but Carolina owned him. After refusing to play for a couple of years Carolina traded him to the Duckies(I think)

sitting in a rocking chair in the good ole Soo

Too many players manipulate the system by saying they will go the NCAA route if somebody else drafts them.I think more teams have to take a chance like the Hounds did and call their bluff.I'm not sure of all the rules involved but it should be that the OHL team that drafts you retains your rights even if you go the NCAA route...and said team should NOT trade him if he drops out of NCAA.If several kids are made to pay the price for [censored] around with the draft system,maybe those down the road will have second thoughts about pulling this stunt.
    For the beauty of the earth,
    For the beauty of the skies...

GRUMPY

Thats true but one has to remember that all those who go the NCAA route are playing games. Look at what happen to Kingston's number one choice. He's signed a letter of intent to go to Boston U. in 2 years till then he'll be playing Junior B. It seems everyone knew that except for Kingston. The parents are adamant that the kid gets an A-one education first and if he has the talent to make the NHL he'll have to do it via the NCAA.

To eliminate kids holding OHL teams hostage they should be made to sign a letter of intention prior to the OHL priority draft stating clearly where they plan on playing in the fall the OHL or NCAA...this way it keeps the playing field level in the OHL and allows kids to decide where they want to play. Not fair to fans when children get selected by OHL teams and refuse to play for them. This is what, in my mind what David Branch wants. He wants the main attraction players playing in cities particularly in London with it's 9090 seat arena. This is why young players tell OHL teams "Don't draft me because I will go to the USA if you do."
    Why do you think London is a powerhouse for the last 4-5 yrs? The OHL draft has lost some alot of it's importance. Nowadays it's more like the States..recruiting! No child should dictate at this level where they wanna play. They should be privileged just to be asked to play in the OHL and for teams like the Soo. If the Soo was good enough for the likes of Ron Francis & Wayne Gretzky and countless other Greyhounds who went onto NHL careers then it should be good enough for some very young man aged 15 to play hockey.

GRUMPY

Sorry but I'll have to disagree with you on this one I think that a player has the right to wait and get all the information before he makes a choice that will affect his whole life. It could boil down to a simple thing as if I get drafted by a team that is very close to home where I'd still be able to stay at home with my family I'll go there ,however if I'm going to be up rooted I might as well get the most of it and get a free education. You also have to remember that Gretsky was a sure bet to make it to the NHL. But I have to question your argument of "if it was good enough for Ron Francis" hello this is his home town he got to live at home. ( on a side note for a second I would have been totally shocked if he hadn't have been the quality person he turned out to be seeing he comes from such a high quality family)
    How many 16 year olds are there out there that you can say with any certainty are going to make it? Now then lets say you have a kid who is good enough for the OHL but an American university is also interested in him and offer a free ride for 4 years, what to you tell your son? Lets also assume that he is smart enough to go there besides.Can you honestly tell me you would turn down a free education?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information