Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Another Draft Choice Doesn't Want to Come Here

Default Re: Another Draft Choice Doesn't Want to Come Her

thes kids have ample time to think over with their parents what they wanna do what avenue they wanna pursue...OHL or NCAA...there is no need to get drafted by a team then reject them when u have no intention of reporting to the team that drafted u...as for the ron francis remakr i made it had nothing to do with him being from the Soo i was just trying to point out that the Soo is a fine place for any kid to come and play hockey and that NHL greats like gretzky francis and others have come here and succeeded in achieving their goal of a NHL career...i am not saying that a kid should ever turn away from a free ride as u put it grumpy but u r missing my point...and that is there shoudl be a deadline for what a kids decision is so OHL teams can deal with that decision...no wasting of draft picks and allowing the OHL to have parity throughout the league...hell if the kid gets offers from US college then by all means go that route but do it so that OHL teams arent thinking of drating u

GRUMPY

From what I've read the top choice for Kingston was telling everyone who asked that he was going the US route and he still got taken in the first round. I understand where you're coming from. However you might be missing a main point here, you are talking like this is a sport. It isn't (anymore) this is now the opening stages of a business, the owners are in it to make money for themselves and are not doing it out of the kindness of their heart. The kids are only trying to protect their future. As I see it the player (worker) has every right to do whatever it takes to protect his interests,while the team (company) also has the same rights. It's the same as the strike in the NHL where the owners said that all the troubles were caused by the greed of the players, but who agreed to pay them those wages.

geez grumpy u think i am that naive...i know it's just a business..however every business has soem sort of rules and protocol that it abides by...and my suggestion for teh OHl is to have kids sign a letter of intention indicating before the OHL Priority Draft which route they plan on going down....the NCAA or the OHL. I have no problem nor have i ever mentioned that i have a problem with how a kid wants to play hocket i just have issues with how they are not forced to make a decision one way or another. life is all about making decisions..if these kids and their parents wanna play the big league game then they should have to make big league decisions.

GRUMPY

See it's just the same old case of you see it one way I see it the other.Who's right, who's wrong ,in the end does it matter. With us it's just be cause we're fans (you maybe more than me, once the temp goes up to 80 I honestly don't care any more about hockey.) but the kids are making a life changing choice I see no reason that they can't have all the info they need to make it. Now saying that I too think that to play a game of which way they're going is wrong. The only way I can see to stop it is for the teams to have balls and when a play says he's going to the States they should wish him the best but that if he decides to come back that they'll be holding his rights and will not be trading them away.

Fact remains that this kid whether he is 15 or not....must be completely insane not to want to come to a place that is being coached by the World Junior gold medal winning coach, a proven excellent coach , and a direct pipeline to the NHL.....
    IF I GOT SMART WITH YOU....HOW WOULD YOU KNOW??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chuckles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fact remains that this kid whether he is 15 or not....must be completely insane not to want to come to a place that is being coached by the World Junior gold medal winning coach, a proven excellent coach , and a direct pipeline to the NHL..... </div></div>

my name says it all for your post

I lol'd.

GRUMPY

maybe he wants a free education

He gets it either way!!!!..But hey he ultimately wants to go to the NHL so he can waste away in a junior B league then try to make it in U.S&gt; college hockey
    IF I GOT SMART WITH YOU....HOW WOULD YOU KNOW??

i am right of course duh lol

Senior Member The 6th Member Of AC/DC's Avatar

What makes me laugh is when these players say they want to play closer to home and then end up playing at a university 6 hours away. The draft needs to be changed in order to remedy this..

GRUMPY

Nothing can be done about this because the last time I checked it was a free world.If a kid wants to go the University route thats his right.Also I agree somewhat as it being an excuse that somewhat sounds untrue but I guess its better than saying "Why the hell would I want to go and play in a one horse town out in the boonies where theres diddly squat to do and the biggest excitement is when Harveys reopens when I can go to a real city,plus get a free education at the same time?"

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information