Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: World Juniors

Default Re: World Juniors

you arent worth it

Canada Junior champs 5 years

good enough
    My apologies if defending seems defensive!!

Like I said, it's impressive for what it is, JUNIORS.

People really get impressed on a real stage, like the Olympics. But if juniors gets you goin', cool!!
    On the Shootout in Hockey: "It's like throwing a football through a ring. That's no way to end a game." - Fabian Joseph, captain of Team Canada

Banned
    Intersection of Hwy. 49 & 61 Clarksdale, Mississippi

If the IOC drops the pros........sure!
    Until than.......I pick the WJC.

Think about that, Jack.

You are saying the Juniors (amatuers) are better than the pros.

Does that really make sense?
    On the Shootout in Hockey: "It's like throwing a football through a ring. That's no way to end a game." - Fabian Joseph, captain of Team Canada

Banned

No answer, huh?

You are lucky you got this much..........
    Like I've said before, IMO, you don't know, you don't know.
    Sorry, that's the way I feel.

That's okay, Jack, no need to be sorry.

Have a good night.

Banned

You are saying the Juniors (amateurs) are better than the pros.

Ha, Ha, Ha........OK.......you DON'T get it.
    It has nothing to do with who is better.
    It's about, what is better to watch, for me.
    It's about pure sport, it's the right of passage, the showcase, no free agents and no millionaires. Not yet, anyway.
    It's way different with kids than professional adults.
    Expectations are different, they are less jaded.
    You know, raw emotion....it's different.
    For that matter, some of the best hockey all year, happens at The Soo Pee Wee Arena.
    Pure sport, for the love of the game.
    Most nights I would pick, let's say a AAA Pee Wee game over anything on TV!
    Last edited by Jack Butler; 01-07-2009 at 11:09 PM.

GRUMPY

you see thats where we differ a little bit (not much though) I prefer them when their idea of a good shift is when they don't fall on their butts.

Banned

you see thats where we differ a little bit (not much though)

It's huge Grumpy........that difference is HUGE!

GRUMPY

I guess it is in a way but I just love it when you watch these young kids are out there and they are just starting to get it together and the world is theres ,as long as they don't fall and they can stop from going over on their ankles.

You know Slow I actually agree with you. Those guys that played in the juniors for all countries have not even came to their full potential of playing yet. I'm sure after a few years in the NHL or AHL they will be up to their full potential and be even greater than they were for the past 2 weeks.
    By the hockey that I watched over the past two weeks it looks like the NHL is going to stay the same as it is now with great hockey and great stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow View Post
    When college kids beat the best team in the world, a team that beat the NHL all-stars 10-3 the week before, luck isn't involved nearly as much as skill and determination. The Miracle on Ice is one of the greatest sporting events in sports history. It was voted so by sports writers the world over at the turn of the century.

But there have been Game sevens in the Stanley Cup that were better than what we saw last week. The Olympics have given us games for the ages.

For god's sake, these are young kids. Many will be better two years from now.

It was very good hockey for what it was: JUNIOR HOCKEY.
    "miracle on ice " was the luckiest game the states ever had..their goalie was the only thing that saved them...if that constitutes a "great " game so be it.
    as for amateurs vs. pros....when you get 22 kids (thats right kids) from different teams, different styles of play. different systems, stick them together for 3 weeks or so and they adapt to win against their opponents is fabulous and speaks volumes for the system.
    sure there have been great 7 game series in the pros....but the incentive here is far different than NATIONAL pride. playing for your country is what its all about!!
    the skill level show cased by these kids (from all teams) was second to none....by far the most exciting hockey ...to watch!!

The night we were watching Canada Jrs win the gold. In between periods we turned to the NHL and it looked like they were going slow-motion compared to the Jrs.

Thats why I like Jr. hockey championships because all the kids from every country give their all.

Quote Originally Posted by lovearchie View Post
    You know Slow I actually agree with you. Those guys that played in the juniors for all countries have not even came to their full potential of playing yet. I'm sure after a few years in the NHL or AHL they will be up to their full potential and be even greater than they were for the past 2 weeks.
    By the hockey that I watched over the past two weeks it looks like the NHL is going to stay the same as it is now with great hockey and great stars.
    Let's face it, the NHL has never been faster or full of more talent than it is right now. And, as you say, the WJC tells us this will continue on for some time.

I just wish they would quit screwing around with the rules, in order to create more scoring, or whatever it is they are after. Some of the changes have been good (no line change after an icing), but some are too much. For example, if I see another hooking penalty because a stick blade was parallel with the ice, I'm going to whip my remote at the T.V. And I say this as someone who fully supported these rule changes a few years ago. They had to get the clutching and grabbing out of the game, it nearly ruined it. Five years ago, watching an NHL game was like watching players skate through quicksand. It's more free-wheeling now, and much faster, and the rules are to thank for that...but they need to calm down on the hooking calls.

Last month Bob Gainey put forward a proposal to the league competition committee that players should not be able to go down and block shots without at least part of a skate blade touching the ice. Only slightly less insane was Matt Schneider's recent proposal that defensemen should not be allowed to skate backwards through the neutral zone.

C'mon guys, enough is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Gram View Post
    The night we were watching Canada Jrs win the gold. In between periods we turned to the NHL and it looked like they were going slow-motion compared to the Jrs.

Thats why I like Jr. hockey championships because all the kids from every country give their all.
    Sorry, but I just cannot see how that could ever happen.

Have you ever been to an NHL game? The speed is amazing. It is a whole other level above and beyond college and Major Junior. Every Major Junior and college player to ever make it to the NHL will tell you that in a heartbeat.

GRUMPY

actually to compare the championship to the NHL is like comparing apples and oranges. In one its a ten day event with relatively few games and the other goes on for what seems forever and has a million games to decide which handful of teams out of the hundred or so get booted off the island. Then they seem to play for another half a year just to get to the point where it starts to get interesting,however by that time it's in the mid 80's tempurature wise and by then who actually cares.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information