Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: beta fish info

Default beta fish info

i am looking for some basic information on keeping beta fish. i have googled and done lots of research, but now i am looking for your opinion, those of you who have kept them. (i think i am starting a 'fight' with a place of commerce who sells many things, among them beta fish)

Default Re: beta fish info

Technically, Beta's can live in those tiny little containers. However, they won't be happy fish and I can tell you from experience, their colours are far more vibrant if they're kept in bigger tanks.

A knowledgeable Beta enthusiast would say they thrive in at least a 5 gal tank (for one fish) with a small filter with a low current output. They also need a heater and live plants like a Java Moss wouldn't hurt to help prevent ammonia burns on their fins. But fake plants are fine lol
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

i understand those little containers are used for transport and selling. but the water levels in them are so low, there was only an inch of water for one fish, and about 2 inches of water for the rest. i think the container could hold about 4-5 inches of water, so why keep them so low? that is what upsets me when they are being sold, kept on the shelves with the canned food in an inch of water.

Some of the "Beta tanks" available aren't much bigger than the containers they sell them in...just because Beta's can live in bad conditions, doesn't mean they should.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

exactly! just because they SURVIVE doesnt mean its right!

at a different job, the employeers thot it would be nice to have this litttle fish at the cash desk. they got a small bowl, and nothing else. i started researching and the basics of what i gathered are: they can live happily in a minimum of1 gallon with a plant and some rocks or glass beads. they also need stimulation with a mirror or by talking to them whatever throughout the day. they love live food like mosquito larve when available. so that is what we did for that little fish and he seemed quite happy.

is that about right?

ive spoken to the staff at this large store about the conditions of the beta and they just tell me that it is their natural habitat to be in shallow water. i then say there is nothing natural about being stuck in a plastic container with only an inch of water, and they said, oh we will get to it later... i say, why not just add a few inches of water for them right now, it will only take a minute to fix the water up and just add a little bit for them. blah blah blah...

it makes me so sad to see them in there to begin with, but when their containers are almost emply, then its just so wrong. so i want to write a letter to the pet manager and store manager etc about the proper necessaties while the fish are in the store waiting to be sold. do you know of any helpful websites ? any suggestions?

I'll admit, my current Beta isn't exactly well cared for at the moment. But he is in a 10 gal tank all by himself. But you're right, a tiny cup with an inch of water is not cool. If it's the giant store I'm thinking of, you could write to someone higher up. I really doubt they care about a little Beta fish, though, as sad as that is...

Senior Member EyelashExtensions's Avatar

All the pet stores(and big stores) that sell them, put them in those containers. Foremost , Pennys , and walmart. It's too expensive and to complicated to give them each their own tank. They get bought up pretty quick too, I don't think they stay very long in those containers in the stores. Maybe a week tops. They usually put them on top of another tank to keep their water warm as well. My opinion.....it's not a big deal for the short period of time they are in them.

lizzrdskills, its not the container that i am upset about, it is that there is barely an inch of water in the container. like i said in my post, why can they not take the time to mke sure each container is filled with an appropriate amount of water. i was asking others if they though an inch was appropriate. go and look at some of those little guys at the big dept store, their fins are flattened because there isnt enough water.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information