Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: sorry for the stupid question...

GRUMPY

Thumbs up Re: sorry for the stupid question...

Quote Originally Posted by giggle squirt View Post
    It is an acoustic. After talking to my dads friend in NC (who teaches guitar) he told me to let him play with it for a few days and if he still can not hold it comfortably then to just get a new one and not to flip an acoustic. Thanks for all the advice. He is so egar to learn and is very frustrated that he can't hold his guitar right.

I think that is the best route, at that age or any other now that I think of it its better to get rid of anything that might take the fun out of it. If he gets frustrated with just holding it what are the chances that he will carry on? By the way if he doesn't carry on with the guitar let him find something that does catch his fancy as the ability to play an instrument is a gift that last a life time.

Default Re: sorry for the stupid question...

Not a stupid question at all. IMHO it doesn't matter that he is left handed in other things he does. He's 5 and if taught to play right handed...he will learn to play right handed. Many people I know are left handed... ie. writing, hockey, golf......but play a right handed guitar. The only real disadvantage is if your son sticks to the guitar and later on in life he will be very limited to what guitars are available for a left handed player. Being a right handed player does not mean he will be better player....didn't stop Hendrix, David Cook, Tony Iommi, or McCartney.....
    Also if you decide to teach him lefty, you can switch the nut and bridge on a beginner acoustic guitar because they are usually "overbuilt" in th efirst place...meaning...they have laminate tops, heavy bracing and so forth. On more expensive acoustics the bracing inside the guitar is a bit more on the heavier strings because of the tension...not all but most.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    He'll be a better player if he learns to play it right handed.
    tell that To Jimmy Hendrix

forcing a kid to try being right handed when he his left handed will create a very stubborn left handed kid. My family tried thier damndest to turn me right handed and now my right hand is useless lol.

GRUMPY

Quote Originally Posted by X-Man View Post
    tell that To Jimmy Hendrix
    So you mean that all lefties can play like him? I'd let the kid play around with it for now and if it bothers him too much trying to be a righty then switch him over. In this day and age it ain't no big thing and besides the easier it is for him the more likely he will won't to carry on.

He has been around people who play guitars since he was little and every time he was handed one he always held it left handed. Even when he had the fake play guitars he holds it left handed. he plays hockey and golf left handed and eats left handed. So it is not like this is the first time he has ever been given a guitar. He wants to learn which is why he got a "real" guitar for christmas. But stupid me was not thinking and he ended up with a right handed one. Mind you that is not the first thing i think of when i walk into a store... I am keeping the right handed one he got (hopfully his brother will use it) and trying to find a kids sized left handed guitar. I have found a bunch online but nothing locally yet. I have yet to check out the music depo but if anyone knows if they have them or not to save me a trip let me know.

Check the pawn shop for a cheap beginners guitar.Do a trade in?

GRUMPY

that might be the easiest route to go.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information