Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Guinea Pigs

Default Guinea Pigs

I just got one for my son tonight from a friend of a friend, and this poor little guy was in horrible condition. The cage was disgusting, truly saturated with urine and feces, and it had a tennis ball sized matte on it's rear end. It also had mold in it's water bottle, which was empty, and a food dish which didn't look any different than the bottom of the cage, and I'm not even exaggerating. I'm so glad I decided to take him. I had to shave the entire back half of him to 1/4". (he is a long hair)

So, other than store bought food and treats, what else can I give a guinea pig? Will he eat veggies\like our bunny does? Any other tips and tricks would be appreciated, as I've never had one before. He doesn't appear to bite at all, athough I held him with oven mitts on because I don't know him yet, and wanted to be on the safe side. He's really jumpy and skiddish though, is that normal behavior, or is that from the neglect?
    I am not merely a mass of molecules, incoherently careening through time and space. I am a child of God, destined for another world, a world before which this one pales in significance. Our spiritual preparation for the next world is to be the priority of this life.

Default Re: Guinea Pigs

fresh, raw fruits and vegetables (such as apple, cabbage, carrot, celery, and spinach) or through dietary supplements

and if it was neglected it can be skiddish from the experience until it sees that is safe now..it should calm down....give it lots of love

here is some info on them....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinea_pig
    Last edited by puppy; 12-28-2008 at 02:17 AM. Reason: added link
    Dale Earnhardt Sr...is the No 1 Driver in Nascar History..

Oh goodness, that sounds horrible!!!

I have two guineas and I feed them brocolli twice a day, b.c without Vitamin C they get extremely sick. They need a lot of veges!! There's a lot they cannot have as well, so be sure to google the foods they are allowed and what they are not. Carrots are okay as a treat once in a while, but too much will give you a trip to th evet -I think it's bad for their liver (and acidic fruits need to be kept as treats as well, b.c it can hurt their little bellies. Mine love to munch on one piece of orange once every few days during this season though.) Guinea pigs probably won't bite you-as they are prey animals who will rather freeze or run away when they are scared. Running away is normal behaviour for all prey animals. They should be okay once you handle them, they will like to be pet after a while of socializing but will probably always try to run once your fingers go to pick them up lol. They will usually only nip your finger if you smell like food. They have awesome senses of smell and just touching a food item will make you smell good to them-and with their eye sight your finger may look like a carrot if it's sitting still in front of their faces. Mine have mistook my finger before, and they don't even bite hard enough to make a scrape. It's like a nibble...They don't use their teeth for defense. The most they do is scare tactics-Yawns usually are not tiredness but showing off their sharp teeth to the creature they want to be boss too lol.

Celery is probably not the best food, but can be given if you chop it into small pieces, it can get caught in their throats b.c it's stringy. I don't reccomend treats from the store. They are usually full of honeys, sugars and things that guinea pigs will not eat in the wild and shouldn't be digesting. They are not healthy for them-I'd stick to fresh fruits and veges. Also don't giv ethem salt licks..some ppl make that mistake...

goodluck with your new friends They are wonderful pets and it's fun to watch them Hop (popcorn) for joy and purr when they show their affection.
    When I was born I was so surprised I didnít talk for a year and a half.

http://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html

Really good reference charts and info in the diet section.

oh my goodness, how horrible for that little guy. makes me so upset when i hear of neglect . these innocent things are completely dependant on us. im so glad you took him.

Yeah, me too. I didn't know he was like that when I said I'd take him. My eight year old daughter has a bunny, and my four year old daughter has a fish, and my seven year old son was like "How come I don't have a pet?" LOL So when it was offered, I went for it, and am sure glad I did.

He seems a lot calmer today. I'm wondering if was a combination of travelling in a vehicle, then being cold, and in a new environment. The kids all took turns holding him today, and he's not running away now. He also definitely does not bite, which makes me quite happy, because I'm always worried about that.
    I am not merely a mass of molecules, incoherently careening through time and space. I am a child of God, destined for another world, a world before which this one pales in significance. Our spiritual preparation for the next world is to be the priority of this life.

Be sure the kiddies also support the guineas bottoms when being held as their backs are prone to break very easily-this is why running balls are also not recommended-their backs don't really do well in them even tho they are sold...

I'm glad to hear its doing better now
    When I was born I was so surprised I didnít talk for a year and a half.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information