Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: why is this cat puking?

Default why is this cat puking?

6mos old. pukes every two or three days. vomit looks like undigested food.

it's my friends cat..she's feeding it adult cat food. would that make it sick? i've told her to switch to kitten food but she says she has some and leaves it out but the kitten eats the other cats food..

Default Re: why is this cat puking?

try soft food
    could be just regurgitation, my honey buns has that, if she eats too fast out it comes, like a hot dog
    is the kitten fine other than that?

could be worms.

Quote Originally Posted by kitty&mimi View Post
    try soft food
    could be just regurgitation, my honey buns has that, if she eats too fast out it comes, like a hot dog
    is the kitten fine other than that?
    yes, it's fine and healthy other than the puking thing..was spayed and had all of her shots and everything before my friend got her.
    her puke does look like a hotdog. lol . that was my friends thought too..that she was just eating too much or too fast..

Quote Originally Posted by debrac View Post
    could be worms.
    really? would there be worms in the puke or her poop?

Maybe the food she is on is too rich? Have you tried gradually switching?
    Adopting one pet will not change the world but, it will change the world for that one pet.

Banned

if my cats eat too much they puke it up and its like they never even chewed the food or it did not digest, kittens tend to eat fast so thats more then likely the cause, if it was runny and liquid puke then i d worry but if it is just like food then shes prolly eating to fast

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Little Sister View Post
    yes, it's fine and healthy other than the puking thing..was spayed and had all of her shots and everything before my friend got her.
    her puke does look like a hotdog. lol . that was my friends thought too..that she was just eating too much or too fast..
    check her poo to see about worms
    but like i said, my honey bear still pukes like that sometimes to this day (she's 9)
    comes out the shape of their esophagus
    not much u can do, just that they are eating too fast
    tell her to slow the hell down! lol
    the good thing about it is that it's easy to pick up
    she could outgrow this too...who knows
    probably once she realizes that there will always be food around lol

If a cat has tapeworms, you will usually see little white segments around the cat's bum that look like grains of rice. These are actually segments of a tape owrm and can contain the eggs.

if you see these segments, you should get some good dewormer from the vet and wash the cat's bedding to avoid reinfestation.

The worms enter the digestive tract where they grow a little and breed. They then enter the blood stream to the lungs and are coughed up (and swallowed) to go through the digestive system all over again. Kittens can get worms from infected mother's milk or dirt and litter where eggs may be present.

A cat with worms my lose some of it's appetite, and have a bloated tummy. Roundworms look like spaghetti and are long and thin (2-7 inches)

Hopefully this kitty is just an over-eater and takes too much food in at a time.

It sounds as though it is just undigested food. One of my older cats does this occasionally but is otherwise fine. if she's not losing weight or seeming listless, it is PROBABLY nothing to worry about.

Maybe switching to a high quality cat food with less filler would help.

Just my two cents
    If animals don't go to Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went.~
    Unknown

Senior Member EyelashExtensions's Avatar

My cat does the same thing only problem is we can't switch his food. If we try even gradually to switch it he just won't eat and starts to go for stuff on the counter and in the garbage. And even after that refuses to eat whatever we give him. He's healthy had all his shots, dewormed recently because we brought a new puppy home. I read somewhere that when you give a cat dry food and they eat it, it expands in their stomach causing them to throw it up. Try adding some water or switching to a moist, semi-moist cat food.

true
    ever put a piece of their food in water? holy moly

I have several cats and have found a few of them have this habit, and it seems to be the cats who "pig out" so they are just eating too fast. With several cats, I guess they must figure they won't get a next meal or something. At least the log is easy to pick up, one long piece. If the food is coming out in one big long thing, I wouldn't worry too much. One thing I noticed is that if the cat food dishes are empty, and then I fill them up, it's right after this fresh food feeding frenzy that this happens. So I have learned to keep the kibble dishes filled up so they can graze all day long. Each evening, I give them each a little bit of canned food, just a spoonful each, then as soon as they are done their spoonful on their little plates, the wet food dishes are removed and they just have the kibble to graze on.

I have one "nervous nelly" cat and if she gets scared or spooked, she throws up a bit of bile, but you have to know this cat to understand this is not unusual for her. She's five years old and has always done this since I adopted her as a 6 month old kitten with her mother.

By the way, all my cats get their regular checkups and have all been dewormed which I believe all cats should have, so these habits are just part of their personalities.

I had one cat recently was getting sick every night. We originally thought it was a cat over-doing it, but then Keebler saw the telltale worm.

We immediately gave them all worm medicine, and have not seen any worms or puke since the medicine night.

They will get another dose in a couple more days, and hopefully, never have to deal with this again. Not sure what she got into though. Aggravating to say the least!
    I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

"I cannot live on bread alone...the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - RWGR, 2008

"I did not eat today. I do not need to eat any day, because the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - Aristotle, 2014

"There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people; Religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus Van Pelt

"If there is a god, why did he make me an atheist?" - Ricky Gervais

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information