Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Car starter

Default Car starter

Whats your opinion on the name brands and dealers? The best warranty. Ya I checked it out, just want personal opinions. Thanks for the input.

Default Re: Car starter

i would goto car trek seeing the specilize i that stuff and auto start is a awsome brand i have one in my 96 intrepid and have not had any issues with it yet and it has been there since new

MUNTZ stereo is the place to go ..
    they do gr8 work dont cut corners and stand behind their work

friend of mine got his done at car trek and the damn thing wouldnt shut off one day ..
    key out of the ignition ... ended up pulling the wires out of the alternator !!

Quote Originally Posted by Daryn View Post
    MUNTZ stereo is the place to go ..
    they do gr8 work dont cut corners and stand behind their work

friend of mine got his done at car trek and the damn thing wouldnt shut off one day ..
    key out of the ignition ... ended up pulling the wires out of the alternator !!
    i have an Viper alarm installed from there and the damm thing goes off whenever it wants and will not shut off i have to disconect the battery

i am sure everyone has their issues with different places

whatever u do.....do not go to future shop

Go see Sunny on Bruce and have your own rebuilt, cheap and effective.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

i thought they were refering to an automatic starter opps

You got me. Not much info to go on.
    Joseph Joubert

Talking Re: Car starter

I was referring to a remote starter, you know it's cold " hey push the button" Not a actual starter but now I know where to go for that. Thanks

I'll give you one opinion on them. I suspect they can cause excessive engiine wear. Too much cold idling will wear the cylinder walls way before their time.
    I'd rather use an in car heater, and block heater.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Morris View Post
    I'll give you one opinion on them. I suspect they can cause excessive engiine wear. Too much cold idling will wear the cylinder walls way before their time.
    there has been one in my 1996 intrepid since 96 (218,000km later) motor runs like the day it was bought..... i do not think they harm the car

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Morris View Post
    Driving your car will cause it to wear out too, but I guess if you are there to serve the car and not the other way around.....

Check the price and warranty between both places recommended. You'll find one has a lifetime warranty, and about $40 less for the same product. The other is $40 more and a 1 year warranty.
    Neither one use much Viper any more. Muntz sells Autostart only (under the Polarstart label), Car Trek sells Autostart, Astrostart, Ultrastart, and Autopage.
    Neither one will likely get you in before February. They are both booked solid.
    Last edited by Sillyme; 01-05-2009 at 07:21 PM.

I just did some on line checking and found out gobs of information. The major complaint was that after market installs don't always go smoothly with as many as three (common) call backs to have the unit work properly. Also if your vehicle experiences electrical failure your remote starter needs to be reset or re calibrated. You can also in cold weather experience a non start and have everything dead when you go out.

Some manufacturers have a vehicle running light on the remote so you can tell if it started (factory installs). I can't find out if this available for after market.

As to Barry's comments I might stand corrected but I believe he is a licensed mechanic, so he bears a listen. I have never had one as I believe in circulating in line water heaters and a thermal plug. Instant heat and cheap to operate.
    Joseph Joubert

That's great if you're at home, and plugged in.
    Many people like the convenience of being able to start their car no matter where they park, without the hassle of a plug-in.
    I have no plug in at work, but I can always get into my car with the windows nicely defrosted. I can afford the extra gas that it uses.
    It's very true that the majority of aftermarket installs can cause problems, especially if the parts used are less than perfect (read cheap) or the install isn't done well.
    There are many different ways to get to the same outcome, and some just work better than others in the long run.
    The important thing is to get a good install, with a solid guarantee. There is NO shop anywhere that can claim a zero failure rate on any product. The best we can hope for is that the rate is low, and that any problems that do arise will be fixed quickly, and properly.
    If you can afford the luxury of a remote starter, then you likely won't care what shape your cylinder walls are in at 220,000k. You'll have a new car by then anyways.
    Ice cream doesn't have bones.

Senior Member The 6th Member Of AC/DC's Avatar

My starter in the van has been in for at least 8 years and never had a problem. Good job Starterwiz. On another note, if you always have access to a plug then no problem, however, when I am at work and cannot plug my vehicle in and it gets very cold I like the option of my cold start. If my car would not periodically start when needed (cold temps) I would guarantee it would not start from many past experiences. The starter for my work car is almost 10 years old and the engine still purrs like a kitten...

I had a Honda with about 150,000 on it. The former owner used the car starter to run the car when the engine got down to cold. As I said, too much cold idling, and that engine burned oil like a pig. Very unusual for a Honda.

Barry is right. Excessive idling is very damaging to most modern engines. Some cars will not even warm up much if left idling after cold temperature starts. They should be driven gently to warm them up. Or, as suggested, use a heater and interior warmer if you can plug it in.

Just a few ideas regarding remote starting a vehicle.
    I always suggest leaving your defroster set at less than full blast when parking your car.
    The fan set to high will actually take longer to defrost the window, as it takes the motor longer to warm up.

Expect a law in the future against idling your car for much more than 2 minutes or so. It's already out in some cities.
    Most remote starters can be easily re-programmed for between 2 and 5 minutes run time.
    It's a bit of a trade-off between issues tho: It's just not safe to start a car and begin driving until the windows are clear. It's not environmentally friendly to idle your car longer than neccessary either.

Another couple of tips.
    Roll down your windows just before parking to let the warm moist air out. Your windows won't frost up as badly. Also keep yor floor mats clean and as dry as possible. The less moisture in the carpets the better from many perspectives. Not only do the windows stay clear, but many cars have wiring harnesses under the carpets that can corrode from salty water.

Always make sure to turn your wipers off. Some remotes will power up the wipers when you start, and they don't like to move a mountain of snow.
    Last edited by starterwiz; 01-08-2009 at 02:12 PM.
    Ice cream doesn't have bones.

the most problems with car starter is that when the batterie dies it has to be reprogramed thats where the problem lies so when you buy one keep the idot book in the glove comparment and and reset it when this happens and read all the opptions it has and u will understand what happens with all these problems u get

My thoughts on remote starters..From a mechanics view, If its install correctly and not hacked in then its a great after market feature. But if its hacked in like I see time and time again..Then your asking for trouble! Trust me. I've seen some hacked remote starters
    and lots from local shops...That claim they know what there doing!
    Die Lügen sind wie Schneebälle: je weiter man sie fortwälzt, desto größer werden sie: Lies are like snowballs: the farther they roll, the greater they grow

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information