Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: barking collars

Default barking collars

hi,
    i dont know too much about these things but i think i should be trying to keep winston from barking. we have new neighbours, and he likes to bark at the pigeons first thing in the morning.

i have heard there is one that is mechanical that will stick into his neck when he barks and becomes a deterrant since it doesnt feel good. i have also heard about ones that left off a sound or electrical jolt that makes them not bark. dont know if his is all or if i am even correct.

i am looking for as least expensive as possible. does anyone have any recomendations
    thx.

Smile Re: barking collars

I saw a few different barking collars at the walmart in SSM Michigan yesterday, but I didn't notice the price as I wasn't really looking for one.

I wonder what Winston will think if you do get him one.
    I don't think they are cruel, but after years of not wearing one, it might bother him.

perhaps there are some dog training peopl or breeders on here that might know a little more about them?

Good luck with that. My dogs bark as soon as I let them out for their bathroom breaks as there are lots of squirrels around, not to mention a lot of dogs walking by.

Luckily, my next door neighbour has three dogs and they like to bark when they get outside too.

I have no one living on the other side of me right now, but they just sold the house, so who knows who will move in. I just hope they are animal lovers!
    If animals don't go to Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went.~
    Unknown

Default Re: barking collars

that is what has happened, after 17 years we have a new neighbour on the closest side. the wonderful lady who was there had several dogs herself and didnt mind. but i dont know these new people.

winston wont be impressed - im sure. but we have got to control that barking - mostly first thing in the morning too.

i sure hope my new neighbours are animal lovers. i hope yours will be too!

GRUMPY

Heres an idea bake a cake or even buy one and go over and welcome them to the area and ask how they feel about dogs. If they are in any way pet people they will love your dog, as they say great people have great dogs. By the way I'm still looking.

I have the ones that on the first bark they give a warning beep on the second bark it gives a mild shock and the shock gets a little stronger each time the dog bark. I HAS A MAXIMUM SHOCK and if it is reached the collar starts over. I found mine here.
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=250329470422

I found it very inexpensive and it takes about 7-10 days to arrive
    If you want the best seat in the house, move the dog.

Bo the pug was a barker, because of his short neck and thick head, the citronella collar would not work. I bought a couple different kinds from ebay that were garbage, I tried them on myself, they were suppose to give a warning noise then a louder noise if the barking continued, nothing. I then bought an electrical one from walmart, it was around 50, again because of his shape it did not work.
    My sister has malteses, she used the citronella on them, now she only has to show them the collar and they stop barking.

you know grump, that is a good idea. i hadnt thot of it. we have snowblown their driveway several times, but i may do that with a bottle of wine...

lolypop, i love it, that is what i would love for winston to stop barking like that.

Banned

my sister just bought one for her dog a week ago, when she put it on him he barked then you heard him yelp then he barked then yelped then he just whined, he whines loud but only the barking makes it jolt them. So my mo used it on her dogs cause he barks at every little thing, he barked once and got his zap and did not bark again and we tried to make him bark to see if he would and he wouldn't ,..lol..i think its mean but if it works then why not..lol..hubby made us all laugh new years day at dinner at my parents, he put it on his neck and barked to make his throat vibrate and he got a little zap but it did not hurt him he said..lol..we all laughed so hard it was so funny watching him bark ..lol.

Banned

and when it zaps the dog after he barks it beeps to let u know it gave a zap..

wow, that sounds great. i know, i hate to be mean, but i realize we have to teach them and be boss. i wonder if i could put it on a teenager and rig it up to every time they talk back???

Now THAT'S a Great idea!!! LOL
    If animals don't go to Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went.~
    Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by kitca View Post
    wow, that sounds great. i know, i hate to be mean, but i realize we have to teach them and be boss. i wonder if i could put it on a teenager and rig it up to every time they talk back???
    I so want one!!!!

GRUMPY

Talking Re: barking collars

Quote Originally Posted by kitca View Post
    you know grump, that is a good idea. i hadnt thot of it. we have snowblown their driveway several times, but i may do that with a bottle of wine...
    Over the past few years I've had a few people move in on both sides of me and one of the first things I've done was go over to visit them when they moved in ans I've taken all my dogs on a leash over if they have kids so that they all can meet the dog and see that they were all friendly critters. I've found that once people get to know the dog it stops being an object in the yard next door and starts being a dog.

Senior Member EyelashExtensions's Avatar

I'm trying to teach my dog to bark on command or only when appropriate. Not an easy task. She is very mouthy, lol. I was thinking of getting one for at night. She wakes up at 2 a.m. and wants to play, barking at the other dogs. I heard they can damage their vocal cords, I'm not sure if that's true or if it's a certain brand. She will be somewhat a guard dog like our other dogs so barking will be necessary at times. The business next to us was broken into AGAIN, for the second or third time in a year. I want her to scare the crap out of any strangers that try entering our house when were not home, but don't need the barking when were here. If I tell her "quiet" she barks at me lol

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information