Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: YAY!!

Senior Member EyelashExtensions's Avatar

Default YAY!!

It's almost that time to get out the seeds! Spring can't come fast enough for me lol. I'm a little worried I may not get to have a garden this year. Everything takes longer to thaw up here and last year I still had snow in front of my house in may/june. This year we have even more snow, so I'll be out shoveling and water hosing my front yard just to make it in time to have a garden Anyone know of some upcoming seed swaps? I started a few birds of paradise for the indoors. I need to find some Gardenia as well...smells so pretty!

Default Re: YAY!!

Hey Lizz - I would really like to get into gardening this year - where to start???

I didn't even plant any at all last year - I spent most of my time at camp.

The year before I had the usual impatiens in the front yard bed (mostly shade) and the side of the house gets tons of sun - I want some beds out there.

What plants go really good for our climate? I'm so lost...lol.
    "From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere."
    Dr. Seuss

Hmm well where do I begin! lol Last year was actually my first time having a large garden. Usually I just filled my small garden with store bought plants. I could put together a seed bag for you to help you get well on your way...I have plenty of seeds. More than enough. I also have a catalog and a few websites that I go to that are fairly inexpensive and good places to get bulk or good quality seeds for good prices. Most plants will do o.k. in our climate. It's just that some that are perennials else where would only be annuals here. And of course plants that are in the deserts or jungle might not work outside here.

Ohh and part of my front garden is all shade, Fuschias, godetia, baby blue eyes, five spot flowers, begonias, are just a few of the flowers you could put in a shady garden. Does it get some light at some point in the day? Either early morning or later evening before sunset?

Wow that would be great Lizz! The front gets the sun late in the day so they would have to be plants that do better in mostly shade.

I probably need to plan for lots more soil, mulch, compost?

I did find a few good sites which I'll check out for sure more thoroughly...
    http://www.thegardenhelper.com/index.html is the first one I'll read through.

I'm not going to get overwhelmed by it all - I'm going to tackle one thing at a time. I'm sure over the years if I keep at it, my gardens will flourish!
    Dr. Seuss

We haven't even mulched, composted nothing last year and I still had a beautiful garden. We are planning to this year, but for the most part the plants I used did fine. Probably would be a good idea to do it at some point though. Perennials are they way to go though. Less time required when it comes to the following year. I'll make up a seed bag for you and detailed info on the seeds so you know what is required. Give me a couple days and I'll get back to you when I'm finished getting it all together.

Thank you so much Lizz! I'm getting very excited now... lol
    Dr. Seuss

Canadian Tire is getting out their gardening stuff!!! YAY!!!

France. Yeah that's it, we're from France.

Ahhh....4' of snow on the ground, -20 but we already have signs of spring. Got to love retail

LOL I already have some plants started Can't wait!

The seed exchange/buy/sell from Clean North and whomever else will be on Feb.28th I think....It's posted in the Community events section if anyone is interested.

I'm a wimp - I buy them pre-started. Tried a couple of times to start veg but no luck.

Did you try starting them in the house? Or directly into the garden? Tomatoes are the ones to start indoors, you can buy nifty hanging bags to put them in and hang them on a wall. Much easier it seems.

I've done both. Actually I've had better luck planting straight into the garden - carrots, beans and zucchini. Never started tomatoes. Maybe I should look into it. Where are the best places to get seeds and all that? I've got myself a fairly big property now so I'd really like to plant a few things.

Last night I saw a twinkle of light in my back yard.
    I had to look again, and yet again.. but there it was,
    one of the solar powered moonrays peaking up from the snow and catching enough light to power up.

not spring yet...but hey

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information