Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question

France. Yeah that's it, we're from France.

Default Question

As a sometimes photographer I know it's often kind of fun to go shooting with others. It's a nice social event with people who share an interest and it's a great opportunity to learn a few things about photography too. Do any of the people here ever go out in groups like that?

Default Re: Question

i did go down to Elora for a photoshoot and workshop, but haven't hung out locally with anyone except the person i went to the photoshoot with

Workshops would be good too - I've never heard of any of them anyplace near here though. Where'd you find out about that one?

Workshops in the area? None that I am aware of. There are groups of people that do go out, but I was never one of them. I usually am the loner photographer type. I did go out once or twice with a fellow Soonet member...and that was great fun. It did get my mind off of more pressing matters of the time. I now go out with a colleague on occasion. I think it would be great fun to go with a group. It would be an interesting experience that would differ from teaching Photoshop and photography to a classroom of high school students!
    No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen

Well, I'd sure be interested in it too if the weather ever gets any warmer - maybe even if we get a thaw in February sometime. All that would be required to to dress sensibly and bring a camera - any kind of camera would be just fine - fancy equipment would not be a requirement at all. There's a bunch of spots we could go - I'm sure we've all got our favourites so we could maybe go out a few times and hit a couple each time. Good way to get to know the area. Hoping a few others would be interested too.

Get-togethers are always great ways to learn and it's always nice to see how "the other guy" works. There is dedicated photography message board for the Sault which has its own categories (Gallery, Buy and Sell) and we often have meet-ups. Usually it's going out for coffee and/or going out to shoot. There's all levels there and some of us shoot digital, some film and some both. Here's the address:

http://saultphotography.forumotion.com/

If your photos are on Flickr there is a Flickr group for Sault Ste Marie. Even if you aren't on Flickr you can browse through all the photos:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/saultstemarie/pool/

sitting in a rocking chair in the good ole Soo

I remember we talked about this quite awhile ago. There was some decent interest but, then, for whatever reason, it never happened. I think it is a great idea!!! Mainly because I'm STILL trying to get the hang of this digital camera thing and I need HELP!!! I don't know how good of an "eye" I have...but I took better pictures with my regular old film camera !!!

Count me in for any if I am available!!!
    For the beauty of the earth,
    For the beauty of the skies...

karen, maybe the thread i started today on understanting cameras might help, the canon site i linked to was really really helpful.

I would also be up for an excursion - i dont know too many people who are into photography and last time i was on an outing was with chako. I'm definitely due for another outing armed with my new camera!
    Q6600 @ 2.85ghz
    Asus P5N-D 750i
    ATi HD3870
    2GB Kingston Hyper-X PC8500
    Antec PowerTrio 650w

Quote Originally Posted by \m/ Rich \m/ View Post
    karen, maybe the thread i started today on understanting cameras might help, the canon site i linked to was really really helpful.
    I'm one of those people who has difficulty learning by reading. I can't use all the functions on my cell phone 3 years later and many readings of the manual!!! Which is why I'd love it if we started to do these outings occasionally. Once I'm shown how to do it, try it a few times with an "expert" supervising to correct mistakes, it usually has imprinted on my brain. Reading and doing doesn't have the same results for me.....and that is something that hasn't changed throughout my life!

Quote Originally Posted by Karen-Annie View Post
    I'm one of those people who has difficulty learning by reading. I can't use all the functions on my cell phone 3 years later and many readings of the manual!!! Which is why I'd love it if we started to do these outings occasionally. Once I'm shown how to do it, try it a few times with an "expert" supervising to correct mistakes, it usually has imprinted on my brain. Reading and doing doesn't have the same results for me.....and that is something that hasn't changed throughout my life!
    im usually like that but found with cameras there was just so much to it that trying to comprehend too much at once would just mess me up worse than i started, LOL
    Q6600 @ 2.85ghz
    Asus P5N-D 750i
    ATi HD3870
    Antec PowerTrio 650w

Even though it's really cold out winter offers some really good light to shoot with. Winter sunsets can be some of the most stunning.

If the cold is a deal-breaker there are some good indoor locations. The greenhouse at Bellevue Park has amazing soft light. I don't tend to shoot the flowers when I go because the light is so good for portraits... try to bring a friend/model. The best part is the temperature. It is very warm and humid in there and there's no cost involved.

It's not free, but the Bushplane Museum is a good place to take photos as well. There are a lot of really colourful aircraft in there and some good light in the afternoon when it comes through the hanger door windows.

Maybe we should make an outing some weekend then?

Nice photo Karm.

just let me know when and where to be!
    Q6600 @ 2.85ghz
    Asus P5N-D 750i
    ATi HD3870
    Antec PowerTrio 650w

Me too!! I'll cross my fingers and toes that I'm able to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chako View Post
    Maybe we should make an outing some weekend then?

Nice photo Karm.
    Thanks. It may not be a world-class attraction but the museum is a pretty good afternoon photo-op.

I would be interested in going out for some shots

Quote Originally Posted by Babzz View Post
    I would be interested in going out for some shots
    I'm up for that - they'd warm me up after taking pictures in the cold weather.

Quote Originally Posted by NoCasa View Post
    I'm up for that - they'd warm me up after taking pictures in the cold weather.

LOL!!!! I wish my brain worked as fast as yours!!!

Depending upon the weather, I am taking my camera out to Bellevue park this Sunday. Probably around noon or so.

Well if it is not snowing or raining, I will be out there at noon with my camera. You are welcome to join me if you wish. I was thinking of just walking around top sail island, the park, maybe the greenhouses etc. I will be parking at the red roofed outdoor picnic building (maroon minivan). Bring your camera.
    Last edited by Chako; 01-22-2009 at 07:50 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information