Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: who here composts?

Default who here composts?

i compost everything, and i have been for years. i love it, i get tons of beautiful black stuff for the gardens.

Default Re: who here composts?

I was just telling hubby to be that I would love to start a compost this spring. I feel so bad throwing veggies and other things away that I know could be 'recycled'.

What can you all throw into a compost?

Senior Member EyelashExtensions's Avatar

Yorkie, I know how much you don`t care for bears and stuff near your home(from previous posts). Composting might not be for you, lol. You will attract many different kinds of little and big critters.

I found this on Composting:

Materials To Use
    Green

Algae
    Bone meal
    Coffee grounds
    Eggshells
    Feathers
    Flowers
    Fruit and fruit peels
    Grass clippings (fresh)
    Hair
    Manure
    Seaweed
    Tea Leaves
    Vegetables and peelings
    Weeds

Brown

Buckwheat hulls
    Coffee filters
    Corn cobs
    Cotton/wool/silk scraps
    Grass clippings (dried)
    Hay
    Leaves (dead)
    Paper
    Peat moss
    Pine needles
    Sawdust
    Straw
    Tea bags
    Wood chips
    Wood ash

This list is far from complete. Anything organic can, in theory, be composted -- some more easily than others. But common sense suggests a few exceptions. The following materials may cause problems in a backyard compost pile.

Materials To Avoid

pet wastes can contain extremely harmful bacteria;
    meat, fish, fats and dairy products are likely to smell as they rot and may attract four-footed visitors;
    insect-infested or diseased plants may persist in the compost;
    materials contaminated by synthetic chemicals or treated with herbicides or insecticides should never be used;
    weeds with mature seeds, and plants with a persistent root system (like crabgrass, ground ivy, or daylilies), may not be killed by the heat of the compost;
    leaves of rhubarb and walnut contain substances toxic to insects or other plants so most people choose not to compost them.
    "From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere."
    Dr. Seuss

I used to when I had my house.. Have not done it in a while though

Quote Originally Posted by lizzardskills View Post
    Yorkie, I know how much you don`t care for bears and stuff near your home(from previous posts). Composting might not be for you, lol. You will attract many different kinds of little and big critters.

You would think I would have thought of that .... but clearly the winter months have blurred my vision. lol. Or something.

Argh argh! Argh!

yorkie, yes, bears can be a problem in composts, but there is still hope!

you could go for a tumbling compost that is fully contained, off the ground and does its composting very quickly. my friend made her own out of a barrel and some kind of crank if your hubby to be or yourself is handy to make one.

my parents are out in goulais and are very careful with what they put in theirs, but sometimes a young travelling bear will check it out.

the other thing you can do is have a worm box. with a worm box (a rubber maid container) you just use your kitchen scraps and clean it out once or twice a year and give somone else a big pile of worms or start another box. (you cant fish with the red wigglers) but the worm bin is another option.

it is an aweful waste to throw out all those fruit and veggie foodstuffs. worm compost is actually supposed to be the very best. what you can do is mix it with soil to use on your houseplants or put in your garden. or what most folks do is pput it in an old pillowcase and into a rainbarrel and use it as fertilizer when watering the garden.. however, it does have an odor done this way, but is very healthy and good for your plants, garden, lawn, etc. and good for the enviroment.

i have tons of red wigglers if you are interested in getting started.

too bad about the bears.

Hmm, I don't quite understand the worm thing. What exactly do you do? I'm sorry. Maybe I'm just tired. i don't get it.

The worms eat the waste and poop it out. Black gold I think they call it, lol. It is supposed to be the best. I have read up on it online. The worms I think can eat average waste in about 24 hours.

im heading out of town for a few days, but i will add info on the worm thingie as soon as i can.

worms and their poop: black gold - its true! i dont think they are as fast as 24 hours, but they can eat their own weight every 24 hours. one worm alone does not weigh much, but once you get a pound or so of them, it starts to add up. also, most animals/organisims cannot eat their own weight.

anyway, what you do is get a med sized rubbermaid box and put a few holes in the lid for air. you can use a base of leaves or wet ripped up newspaper (i use both) the box should be damp, not wet, definatly not dry. then you add your kitchen scraps every couple of days. thee finer and smaller cut up they are the easier and quicker it will be for them to break down and the worms to eat them. the worms actually dont eat the food, but the foods as they break down. i add the food in one end, then next time in the middle, then next time in the other end, and keep alternating so the worms keep travelling through the box. i have a little shovel thing and bury it in there. the worms reproduce like hec. gotta go, i will find some links and things later.
    Last edited by kitca; 02-03-2009 at 10:31 AM.

Veseys online has the worm composting stuff. You can buy the composter and the worms from their site if anyone is interested...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information