Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dslr?

Senior Member EyelashExtensions's Avatar

Default Dslr?

Anyone have one for sale? I'm getting a little bit of money soon and was thinking of getting a DSLR(my first). I was thinking of going brand new but if I can get a good deal on a well kept used one I may opt for that instead. I'm willing to spend at least $500 maybe up to $1000 just depends.

hp2

Default Re: Dslr?

Liz I think rich has one as he just bought Babzz....

France. Yeah that's it, we're from France.

I just posted an add in the miscellaneous for a Canon G7 - not quite a DSLR, but the price is better. There's a link to a review with it.

sorry guys, the 300d sold yesterday... not so great for you, but i was glad for it to finally be sold.
    Q6600 @ 2.85ghz
    Asus P5N-D 750i
    ATi HD3870
    2GB Kingston Hyper-X PC8500
    Antec PowerTrio 650w

Quote Originally Posted by NoCasa View Post
    I just posted an add in the miscellaneous for a Canon G7 - not quite a DSLR, but the price is better. There's a link to a review with it.
    I have a canon s3 so it wouldn't be worth me buying the G7. Nice camera though for the price.

France. Yeah that's it, we're from France.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzardskills View Post
    I have a canon s3 so it wouldn't be worth me buying the G7. Nice camera though for the price.
    Both are nice. What DSLR are you considering?

What's the difference between a digital camera and a DSLR?
    "Fear of death is no reason to keep on breathing"

Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    What's the difference between a digital camera and a DSLR?
    They are the bigger cameras that take interchangeable lenses. DSLR stands for "Digital Single-Lens Reflex." Essentially they have a mirror inside which allows you to see through the lens before exposure, it flips up when you take the shot.

Panasonic has also created the G1 which is an in-between. A little smaller than a traditional SLR because it doesn't have the mirror but it has interchangeable lenses.

LizzardSkills, if you have $500-1000 I would just look at new, personally. Canon and Nikon both have offerings in that range and they are what I would personally go with. The Olympus SLR's are really nice too as well as Pentax. You'll get warranty, 2 years for the Nikon and Pentax.

Send me a PM if you have any more questions or ask on your other board http://saultphotography.forumotion.com/ where there may be a few more of us using SLRs.

I'm not sure which one I should go with. I really love my canon cameras, I have only ever had Canon cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by KARM View Post
    They are the bigger cameras that take interchangeable lenses. DSLR stands for "Digital Single-Lens Reflex." Essentially they have a mirror inside which allows you to see through the lens before exposure, it flips up when you take the shot.

Panasonic has also created the G1 which is an in-between. A little smaller than a traditional SLR because it doesn't have the mirror but it has interchangeable lenses.

LizzardSkills, if you have $500-1000 I would just look at new, personally. Canon and Nikon both have offerings in that range and they are what I would personally go with. The Olympus SLR's are really nice too as well as Pentax. You'll get warranty, 2 years for the Nikon and Pentax.

Send me a PM if you have any more questions or ask on your other board http://saultphotography.forumotion.com/ where there may be a few more of us using SLRs.
    Ok so what difference does the mirror make? I'm not really understanding why you need a mirror in a camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    Ok so what difference does the mirror make? I'm not really understanding why you need a mirror in a camera.
    You look through the viewfinder and you're looking through the lens. With a film camera this was a big deal because there was no screen on the back. For digital it allows for more precise focusing, especially manual focus, which very few point and shoot cameras can do. Some DSLRs can be used in live view mode, like a digital point and shoot where you use the screen on the back for framing and focus but also allow you to look through the viewfinder if you wish.

I tried to send you a pm but you must not have it activated.

Ok, the light passes through the lens, bounces off the mirror, up into the pentaprism, which bends the light to come out of the viewfinder. This allows the photographer to see exactly what the lens/camera is seeing.

This image illustrates this nicely.

Advantage of having an optical viewfinder:
    1. real time viewing with no delays.
    2. What you see is what you get. The human eye can see details that no electronic sensor can see. Thus, the photographer sees everything, especially in very low light, where the elecctronic sensors need to increase gain. So an optical viewfinder is still superior to the best EVF (electronic view finder) for seeing the details.
    3. You can see the darn thing in bright light. Try doing that to a rear LCD screen. EVFs are better, but don't handle real bright light sources well, and tend to flare.
    4. Does not consume batteries.

Disadvantages of having an optical viewfinder:
    1. Not 100% viewing area unless you get into their pro level cameras. This costs money when your dealing with glass optics. So you tend to get something like 95% coverage, etc. Rear LCDs and EVF usually give you 100% coverage.
    2. Can't customize a glass viewfinder with information like you can with a rear LCD or EVF. There is no glass viewfinder that gives you a histogram (that I know of).
    3. Does not move like a hinged rear LCD screen. You can buy a right angle viewfinder adapter, but this cost a bit of money.

To most photographers, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. Also, most DSLRs are now having a live view function, that somehow allows information to hit the sensor so that it can be directed towards the rear LCD. Manufacturers are trying real hard to cater to the photographers that are used to the compact cameras when they move up to a DSLR. This is a win win situation for everyone, as having live view is a great feature when doing macro work, etc... Just be aware that focusing in these relatively new modes is still a little funky compared to the compact cameras due to the added complexity.

As for a Canon camera, you have several choices. I would suggest several models for you. The Canon XSi is a nice 12 megapixel camera that comes in at around 800 dollars. Its their current top Rebel line camera. The Canon 40D goes for around 1000 locally. It was last year’s 10 megapixel prosumer camera. You will find that the 40D is larger, built better, and has more features that you may or may not use in the future. I just recently bought a Canon 50D, and that is quite a camera. It retails for around 1500. A full frame camera will net you around 3k.

With that said, don’t discount Nikon, Pentax, Sony, and Olympus.

Here are my opinions on these brands.

Nikon makes some of the best camera bodies. Their lens lineup isn’t as great as Canons, tend to be more expensive, and often not quite as good optically. However, there are exceptions to these rules. On the extreme side of things, a Canon 500mm F4L Is retails for 7k+. A similar lens on the Nikon side goes for around 10K+. Realistically, you will only have a few lenses anyways, and probably not in this price range. So your mileage will vary. (Look at the Nikon D60, D90, and D300 cameras)

I am very biased towards Pentax probably because I was heavily into them in my film days. They are a smaller camera company that didn’t make such a nice body, but their lenses were something special. Pentax sort of boxed themselves in somewhat as being a true photographers camera for the leisure slow style shooter. Their AF is not that great, although their more expensive pro line lenses have built in motors. But oh what lenses. If you’re into prime lens quality, then you can’t go wrong with Pentax. They still have the best lens coatings, and their optics are some of the world’s best. They do have their dogs, but their best often beats Canon L and Nikons best for optical clarity and performance. It’s a bit of hot and cold with Pentax. Their cameras are fairly cheap for what you get, but they aren’t easy to do fast action with. You can cope, but there are better brands out there for that. Pentax are also the backward compatibility kings (yes, they even beat Nikon in this regard). You can buy a screw mount adapter and use lenses from the 50s if you wished..that is if you can find them. They are getting harder and harder to find. Likewise, Pentax’s current lens lineup is meager. There are no lenses greater then 300mm at the moment. You can always go Sigma I guess. (Look at the Pentax K200D and K20D)

Sony makes some interesting cameras. They are known for a relatively fast AF. Their cameras tend to come off as kind a cold with no personality. This is highly subjective though. I just find their controls not as user friendly as other camera makers out there. Sony does make a great camera though. I know of one person who loves her Sony DSLR. (Look at their Alpha 300, 350, and 700)

Olympus makes a 4/3 system, meaning their sensors are smaller. The disadvantage is that their viewfinders are describes as looking into a long tube or cave. Likewise, you do get some more noise as they pack more sensors into a smaller area (That is, if the cameras are of similar megapixels from brand to brand. On the plus side, you do get a double in reach. When you use a 100mm lens, it turns into a 200mm when the cropping factor is figured in. Good for long telephoto work in a small package. Panasonic is the other partner. They have made a G1 that is a hybrid. It’s a compact camera with removable mini lenses based upon their joint venture mini 4/3s system. At this time, Olympus hasn’t announced anything on this smaller micro form factor. Looks promising if you want a very small portable camera with removable lenses. (Look at their E510, E520, and E30 cameras…The Panasonic G1 looks interesting…but there is a limited lens selection because it’s very new).

Frankly the two big movers are Canon and Nikon. When you buy one of their DSLRS, you are also buying into an extensive system. The other camera makers are much smaller, they each offer their pros and cons, but when the dust settles, you are buying into an underdog system. For many, that is not an issue. However, lets say you need to buy an angle adapter for your viewfinder, good luck with some of the smaller companies. So just beware of that when you buy. You might never need one of those adapters..but if you think you might need on in the future, you may wish to stick with the big two. Just my opinion (and it pains me as I really like Pentax for their lenses lol)
    Last edited by Chako; 02-05-2009 at 05:53 PM.
    No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information