Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: looking for a car

Smile looking for a car

i am looking to buy another car and since i had such bad luck with my other one i am looking for opions. anybody know about neons. i am looking at one with 260,000kms it is a 2000 model. any info from people who know about these cars would br great

Default Re: looking for a car

260 000KMS. I'd stay away.
    Die Lügen sind wie Schneebälle: je weiter man sie fortwälzt, desto größer werden sie: Lies are like snowballs: the farther they roll, the greater they grow

When are you planning on getting the car? We own a neon and my bf knows a ton about them. We have had ours for 10 yrs now. The white ones seem to peel the paint in pretty much all the same spots but that is also a 97. When he is home (should be tonight) I can get him to hop on and give u a bunch of info.

that would be great. i bought a sunfire less then one year ago and have blown 2 motors as well as had to replace almost everything else. i am not that hard on cars but i want to make sure when i get my next car i will have it for more then 1 year. the car i am looking at does have 260,000 but mostly highway.

if they are highway miles i would not worrie about it my intrepid had 216k on it and it runs fine

Quote Originally Posted by eagles View Post
    that would be great. i bought a sunfire less then one year ago and have blown 2 motors as well as had to replace almost everything else. i am not that hard on cars but i want to make sure when i get my next car i will have it for more then 1 year. the car i am looking at does have 260,000 but mostly highway.
    I just spoke to my bf and he will be in late tonight so i will make sure that he comes on and gives u advice on it. As for me, I just drive our neon lol.

it depends on how much you want to spend?

about $600 to $700 it does need alittle work but not to much

If you are buying a car for 6-700 bucks. The person you are buying it from better love you like a son, because other wise it will be a piece of crap, or need more than "alittle work"

Quote Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
    if they are highway miles i would not worrie about it my intrepid had 216k on it and it runs fine
    That's just about the most asinine advice I've seen from you yet. Because an Intrepid (with an entirely different series of motor) goes 216K a Neon with 260K is good to go???? Give it a shake and get the marbles moving man...
    It's time to pay

I have to agree with piper and andre. a 2000 for $700. unlikely to have little wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Piper View Post
    That's just about the most asinine advice I've seen from you yet. Because an Intrepid (with an entirely different series of motor) goes 216K a Neon with 260K is good to go???? Give it a shake and get the marbles moving man...
    lmao i have seen neon's with well over 300k on them

It's all in how you mantain your car if you use common sense they will last and it helps if you can mantain them on your own

i maintained my last car very well. oil changes before they were due synthic oil and always checked the fluids keep the right psi in the tires and still had 2 motors go in 1 year. and before anyone says anything i did not race the car either i also did not drive it like a 90 year old either

Don't spend a cent without taking it to your own mechanic for an honest appraisal. It will be the best sixty bucks you've ever spent and will save you untold hundreds down the road, hopefully.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

260k kms???? you'd be lucky if that neon still has a head gasket left.....honestly, they are cheap throw away cars for a reason.....

Quote Originally Posted by Timbit View Post
    260k kms???? you'd be lucky if that neon still has a head gasket left.....honestly, they are cheap throw away cars for a reason.....

1995 was the worst year for the head gaskets but like stated above i would take it to a trustworthy mech... if there are any in the sault i personaly do not know of any i do most my work myself

Back away and run. You would not believe how many neons come though with head gaskets. I would personally rather drive a civic then a neon. They are almost as bad as the yugo in my opinion..

Quote Originally Posted by General Lee View Post

Personally i don't get this theory that highway miles are better then city miles... THe engine has still turned for 216k and the transmission has still turned for 216 k and the gears and pullys have turned for 216 k. Now how that makes it better is beyond me??? Ya maybe highway is better on the brake components and such but travelling at the same rate of speed for a long period of time is still bad for the vehicle. When i buy a new to me vehicle the things i also include in the price of the car is a complete fluid flush (rad, diff (if applicable) transmission brake fluid oil) I change all the belts like timming belts, ac belt altinator belt. And also do an alignment. Their is nothing like owning a vehivle for 3 months and then blowing a timming belt on a zero clearance engine because you didn't take any preventative action. I also do plugs and wires. Cap rotor if applicable.

Back to the highway thing. 90 percent of the time you dont' konw the previous owners driving habbits. Sure he can say it is 216 km highway.. but he is not going to tell you he hotrodded it down the highway.

ok, so I am Cuties BF and the neon guy, ours has WAY more miles that yours does first off, and to be honest, I cannot kill the damn thing. I am not all that familiar with the newer neons, but the head gasket issues were only on newer models that they were a big problem. If the body is good, I say go for it. When it first starts cold, check and see if there is a lot of blue smoke coming from the exhaust, if there is that could indicate worn piston rings, or even worn valve seals. Happy Motoring :P

hp2

My husband and I were looking at this car yesterday Just on the add.. IT looks to be in great shape...

http://www.usedsoo.com/classified-ad/8204063
    260k is what turned us away...

anyone I have ever heard of having one loves them and they are die hards..

But my question would be how hard were them 260kms driven..

were you looking a few days ago there was a red one for a steal of a deal 500 same yr less KM's tinted windows, remote start etc. power windows doors etc.

body wise its worth the money to look at the pic... But then on the other hand are you going to have to throw a motor in it anytime soon?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information