Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ? About fever in 2 year old

Question ? About fever in 2 year old

My daughter (21 months) started with a reddish pink blotch on the outside white part of her right eye Wednesday. Thursday evening, she got a fever, runny nose, etc. Friday, I took her to the day clinic at the GHC (mostly because I was concerned about her eye) and the Dr. gave me eye drops for her and said to give her Tylenol for the fever (which I have been doing)

It's now Monday. Her eye is better, but her fever is still bad and Tylenol doesn't seem to be making a huge difference anymore. She is pretty much sleeping all the time. I know fevers happen, but how long before I should bring her back?

She's drinking fine, but isn't eating much...I just hate seeing her so uncomfortable for so long
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Default Re: ? About fever in 2 year old

Along with the tylenol try putting some cool cloths on her hot spots, if she will let you. Across her forehead, under her arm pits.
    As far as not eating, see if she will eat jello, my grand daughter is the same age and when she was sick she could keep the jello down and then the mr noodle soups.

I've tried the jello thing. She had one spoonful and said "NO!" lol She hasn't thrown anything up at all...she just turns her head away at anything offered. She had about a quarter of a can of alphagettis and a few pretzels in the last few days...and a couple chicken nuggets.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

If she is still fevered after four days, I would bring her back down to the walk in, she may have a systemic infection rather than just the eye area

That crossed my mind, Yoda. She had a pretty bad UTI at 8 weeks old and spent a week in NICU. But it was almost the same...fever, sleeping all the time, awake but not really awake, and very achy.

The day clinic at the GHC is closed today and I really, really, really don't want to sit at the hospital all day with a sick baby I don't know what I should do...

I have been to the emerg with my daughter a few times in the past year.. and each time they tell me that I am not giving her enough tylenol to get rid of her fever. They say that according to their charts that I should be giving her double the dose on the tylenol bottle.... they did it right in front of me and her fever was gone in less then 20min... don't quote me on this... check it out for yourself before doing it...

i found advil is better, i dont know...everyone is different though
    u can get the one that lasts 8hrs

Banned

they say in your case that if she is not eating that much, buy her some pediasure, if she is drinking then she ll drink this and she ll get all the nutrition she needs. that way she is not losing out on her vitamins and everything else that goes along with eating..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jst4u View Post
    That crossed my mind, Yoda. She had a pretty bad UTI at 8 weeks old and spent a week in NICU. But it was almost the same...fever, sleeping all the time, awake but not really awake, and very achy.

The day clinic at the GHC is closed today and I really, really, really don't want to sit at the hospital all day with a sick baby I don't know what I should do...
    My daughter when she was 10 weeks old had a uti as well and we spent a week on the 3rd floor in pediatrics with her not right int he nicu, she was really sick, and it does not sound like a uti that your daughter has again. she would be in alot of pain if that was the case..
    Last edited by Sophie's_Mommy; 02-16-2009 at 02:56 PM.

You can also give Motrin and Tylenol at the same time. I was told this when I brought my son into Emerg and he had a 104 fever for 4 days. But also the amount on the Tylenol bottles is way under dosing, the doctors had told me that you should go by weight when I can.

Call the telehealth line. They will ask her weight and tell you exactly how much to give based on the weight. They will also ask you some questions to help you determine whether you should take her to the hospital or if it is safe to wait to see your doctor tomorrow.
    “Teachers are expected to reach unattainable goals with inadequate tools. The miracle is that at times they accomplish this impossible task.”
    Haim Ginott

Well, I just got back from emerg. Spent 6ish hours there. They sent us down to the walk-in where we sat for over an hour then rushed us back up to emerg because her temp was 40C.

After xrays, blood work and a whole lot of crying/passing out they found out she has pneumonia. She got a prescription for antibiotics and I was told to alternate between Tylenol and Advil every 3 hours to keep her temperature down.

Oh...and the staff at the walk in and emerg were AMAZING! It made it so much easier...

how is your daughter today?

She's up and more active. She ate half a waffle this morning, which is more than she's eaten in about 3 days. I'm going to get her prescription and some Advil today, along with some Pediasure to try...she's picky about her drinks. Her cough is horrible today, though, and her nose is really runny.

Banned

my daughter has a cold right now , it started saturday, she has a runny nose and a bad cough. She ll cough so much she ll puke, but she still eats her food, and drinks her formula, not as much as usual but enough to be ok, if its not gone by tomorrow i think im going to bring her in to the hospital. I can hear the snot in her nose and i just wish she knew how to blow it..her temp is fine though...god i hope she does not have pneumonia, did your daughters start off as a regular cold? Mine has had a cold like this before and it lasted 3 to 4 days. the reason i think its just a cold is cause she has no high temp....i wish they made infant cough syrup so it would relieve her a bit..

How old is she? Tylenol makes an Infants' Cold (Plus Cough) medication. It's for children 6 months+.

Here is the dosing chart according to weight.

Under six months Consult physician
    6-11 months (12-17 lbs) 0.8 ml every 4-6 hrs. (max 4 doses/day)
    12-23 months (18-23 lbs) 1.2 ml (0.8 + 0.4ml) every 4-6 hrs. (max 4 doses/day)
    2-3 years (24-35 lbs) 1.6 ml (0.8 + 0.8ml) every 4-6 hrs. (max 4 doses/day)
    >35 pounds Use Children's liquid

Oh, and Jst4u... glad to hear your little one is feeling a bit better.

They say childrens cough syrup isn't good. I've been recommended not to give her ANY.

She had a bit of a runny nose since Tuesday, a high temperature Thursday evening and the cough started Friday. Her red eye and her high temperature are the reason I brought her to the Dr. on Friday.

If your daughter just has a runny nose, I wouldn't worry about it. The cough would be from the snot tickling her throat and I know from experience...if you cough hard enough for long enough, you will puke. Unless she gets a temperature, don't bring her to the hospital. I sat there for for hours yesterday because people were clogging it up with headaches, sore throats and ridiculous nonsense that they can easily care for at home.

I would be careful about cough medications. My daughter has never had any. I didn't want to take a chance. If it's just a runny nose, wiping it or using a saline solution works. If there's a fever or pain, use Tylenol.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art..._children.html

make sure she is peeing.. You really have to watch for dehydration
    My boy had pneumonia when that age and I know how scary it is ..
    pedialite or gator aid and keep a close eye on how high the fever goes

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information