Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Non-economic loss payment from WSIB

Becoming a Regular Here

Default Non-economic loss payment from WSIB

Has anyone ever received a non-economic loss (pain and suffering basically) payment from WSIB? If so are you willing to say how much and what for? Can PM me if more comfortable.

I have a friend who got hurt at work over a year ago and is curious about what sort of payment he might receive

Default Re: Non-economic loss payment from WSIB

It Depends on what his employment was at that time and the wage he received... Everyone's will be different, there's no set amount.

I am a WSIB Worker Advocate. A Non-Economic Loss Benefit (referred to as a NEL Benefit) works like this:

1) - Your Doctor must deem you to have reached Maximum Medical Recovery (MMR).

2) - The WSIB will give you a list of doctors to choose from to attend for a NEL examination.

3) - From this examination, the doctor will determine you percentage of impairment through a series of range of motion tests.

4) - After the percent of Partial Permanent Disability (PPD) is established, the WSIB applies their NEL formula which is: Base Rate (which changes yearly) +/- $1000.00 for every year under or over age 45 X percentage of PPD.

5) - I don't know what the Base Rate is currently, but using $55,000.00 (which it was at one time, it is higher now), an example is below:

a - Worker is age 48, so subtract $3,000.00 from the Base Rate of $55,000.00 = $52,000.00

b - The doctor determined the percentage of the PPD (of for example a lower back injury) to be 12%.

c - $52,000.00 x 12% = $6,240.00 payable in a one time lump sum. Amount over $10,000.00 can be take in increments.

I hope this helps. PM me if you need any assistance. Good luck.
    Why are you hiding behind a username?

Becoming a Regular Here

that does help thanks

It doesn't amount to much. I was initially assessed a 13% disability (loss of right thumb), I was 42 when the accident happened, my NEL award was about $7,500.

However, I suggest that whatever the award is, file for a reconsideration (different than an appeal). That actually doubled my initial payment.

A reconsideration is different from an appeal because you are still dealing with your adjudicator. Reconsiderations are made to an adjudicator, appeals are made to an Appeals Resolutions Officer (ARO), and the final venue is heard before a WSIAT (Workplace Safety & Insurance Appeals Tribunal).

WSIB is full of red tape.
    Why are you hiding behind a username?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information