Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: breeders/owners of small dogs?

Default breeders/owners of small dogs?

I am considering getting a new dog it will be a small one. Are there breeders of small dogs in the area?
    What are your experiences with your breeds?

Default Re: breeders/owners of small dogs?

My only suggestion if you do get a small breed...please don't make it one of those "accessory" dogs. Let it walk, let it socialize outside of your arms. Let it deal with situations on its own. Don't just carry it everywhere or you will end up with major behaviour problems.

Oh, and if you're considering a Chihuahua, they are notoriously hard to housetrain.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

heaven forbid i would never ever choose "accessory dog". I am considering a small dog nothing heavier than 40 lbs.

I've seen Shelties turned into "accessory" dogs...carried everywhere and picked up and caudled at the slightest chance of anything happening.

BTW, I have a Chihuahua and he is not an accessory. He's a dog.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I raise Bostons and Pugs. no babys now.
    www.bostonterriersandpugs.com
    Debra Cox
    Coxs Cozy Kennel 906-630-3962

Smile Re: breeders/owners of small dogs?

I'm a breeder of CKC registered Shih Tzu's
    www.potogoldkennel.com
    No puppies at this time, will be breeding sometime this spring/summer/

What is the fixation with equating a small dog with an "accessory dog"? Circumstances dictate the size of this dog. We have owned dogs before.

i just recently got a minature pincher they are a hard dog to train and are not consider to be a lap dog as they like to wonder the house and see whats going on but ours is quite different she loves to cuddle and dont like the cold we also had to go 3 hrs away to go and get her since we wanted a registerd dog but we love our little princess

autum1 pm'd you.
    corn316 with the research I've done i had ruled out minpin curious though where did you get her.

Quote Originally Posted by mags View Post
    What is the fixation with equating a small dog with an "accessory dog"? Circumstances dictate the size of this dog. We have owned dogs before.
    No fixation. I just think it's sad how people carry their little dogs everywhere and it causes so many behaviour problems. That's all.

I have a Papillon and a Chihuahua. I love them both to death but I wouldn't recommend either breed, personally.

GRUMPY

what do you want the dog for? not being ignorant just once you figure out what you want it for and the home situation kins and such then check the different breeds because size wise (under 40 lbs) covers a huge area. Anything from a Chihuahua to a small female Australian Shepherd.

I have 2 chihuahuas. I had one from a puppy and i got one when he was a year old. When i got him his owners told me that he was not trained to go outside. I had to work with him but he is now trained. Both my dogs are trained to go outside. Even in the winter. I don't use them as accessory dogs. They are dogs. They walk every day in the summer, play outside, go to camp, do everything that dogs do. They are a bit harder to train but they are very smart dogs and if you have TIME to work with them they learn quickly. I am very happy with my dogs. They get along great with my kids, i have a 5 year old and a 15 month old and they play together all the time. They are very friendly with other dogs as well. I see alot of smaller dogs that have massive issues because the owners didn't train them they just assumed that they could pick them up and move them whenever they were getting into stuff. Or they are just accessory dogs for them. Personally i believe that weather a dog is a chihuahua or a great dane they all deserve the same ammount of training.

Quote Originally Posted by giggle squirt View Post
    I see alot of smaller dogs that have massive issues because the owners didn't train them they just assumed that they could pick them up and move them whenever they were getting into stuff. Or they are just accessory dogs for them. Personally i believe that weather a dog is a chihuahua or a great dane they all deserve the same ammount of training.
    That's exactly what I am trying to say...

mags i got mine from a breeder in kalkaska mi it was the closest place to get one

GRUMPY

Nothing makes me want to slap people more than when I see people going through stores with a dog in their arms dressed up like they were some kind of doll or other toy. Do the dog a favour and put it down on the ground and let the little bugger walk like he was designed to,that is why they have a friggin leg in each corner !!!

GRUMPY

Quote Originally Posted by giggle squirt View Post
    Personally i believe that weather a dog is a chihuahua or a great dane they all deserve the same amount of training.
    If a person doesn't have the time to train a dog and to properly socialize it then they shouldn't get one at all. The time and effort it takes to make a wild animal into a pleasurable companion is minuscule compared to what you end up with.

A poodle is an excellent breed. If trained properly (like all dogs) they can be great dogs. They are VERY intelligent and playful. They have a poor reputation as yappy rat dogs, but its all in the training. I would LOVE to one day own a poodle

Lhasa apso (sp?) are an amazing breed of dog. but finding a breeder around here is not easy. I have been trying. They have an amazing temperment and are very friendly. Easy to train and want to please. I have a friend who has one and i love it. i have always loved poodles but the grooming scares me. How do you properly brush a curly haired dog? I would be so scared of hurting it.

GRUMPY

There are plenty of Australian Shepherds available through the rescue in Mich. sadly with the economy being what it is people are giving them up. They are a very good family dog with the personality some what of a Beagle (very friendly) and the brains of a Border Collie.

I occasionally breed my shih tzu.. although they are not registered. They usually end up around 10-13 pounds.
    I also know of a person who just had a litter of Lhasa Apso puppies. born just over a week ago. PM me for details
    If you want the best seat in the house, move the dog.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information