Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: (HELP)Drinking and being diabetic

Default (HELP)Drinking and being diabetic

I have not drank since i have become diabetic and i need some help in knowing about how it will go.
    Can i drink like i used to?
    What will it do to my sugar?
    The most I can do for my friend is simply to be his friend.

Default Re: (HELP)Drinking and being diabetic

i believe it will raise ur sugar
    alcohol (drinks) has sugar in it
    not sure about beer, or low carb beer
    but i dont think alcohol is good for u if ur diabetic
    i think it's safer not to drink

No!
    Not from the experiences I have seen.
    1,2 is okay.. But, DON'T get hammered.. like Kitty said, its not good. i've seen people black out from there sugar going too high.

and the affects the day after, cuz it screws around with your sugar, so it messes with them the next day.. and goes low the next day..

[img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] not too much Crystal!
    Cant keep a secret, if it never was a secret to start..

So 1 or 2 is ok, but anymore and i could be in trouble.
    Thank you for the help

Yeppers! But, everyones body is different. So, just take it slower, you should be able to 'feel' how many you can drink, you know?

Best of luck with that! [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
    Cant keep a secret, if it never was a secret to start..

The best man for our wedding lost his 19 year old diabetic daughter because she was drinking beer and eating cookies. She went to bed and never woke up. She didn't go to bed that night thinking she would fall into a diabetic coma and die. Sad but true. I guess you've gotta ask yourself is it worth the risk?
    I am not merely a mass of molecules, incoherently careening through time and space. I am a child of God, destined for another world, a world before which this one pales in significance. Our spiritual preparation for the next world is to be the priority of this life.

Excellent post Jackie!

If you are unsure if ANY way, Crystal, speak to your doctor or a nutritionist BEFORE consuming any alcohol. It sounds like you have been taking good care of yourself with your new diabetes, so why stop now?

Drinking can also cause Diabetic Ketoacidosis: My cousin's daughter is type 1 and at 17 she went to a party and got drunk. She nearly died from this. You MUST be very, very careful when you are a diabetic and you drink.

Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA)
    Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is a life-threatening blood chemical (electrolyte) imbalance that develops in a person with diabetes when the cells do not get the sugar (glucose) they need for energy. As a result, the body breaks down fat instead of glucose and produces and releases substances called ketones into the bloodstream.

People with type 1 diabetes and some people with type 2 diabetes are at risk for DKA if they do not take enough insulin, have a severe infection or other illness, or become severely dehydrated.

Symptoms of diabetic ketoacidosis include:

Flushed, hot, dry skin.
    A strong, fruity breath odor (similar to nail polish remover or acetone).
    Restlessness, drowsiness or difficulty waking up. Young children may lack interest in their normal activities.
    Rapid, deep breathing.
    Loss of appetite, abdominal pain, and vomiting.
    Confusion.
    Severe diabetic ketoacidosis can cause difficulty breathing, brain swelling (cerebral edema), coma, or death.

Treatment involves giving insulin and fluids through a vein and closely monitoring and replacing electrolytes.
    Attitude is contagious - is your's worth catching?
    The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..
    Make peace with your past, so it wont spoil the present

Talk to a health professional!!!

I'm a type 1 diabetic on insulin 4 times a day, have been for seven years now. I inquired about drinking and the effect it has on you since I enjoy my cold beer in the summer, among other "refreshments".

Beer and the other coolers and such have sugar in them, but you also need to watch when drinking certain mixed drinks ie rye/rum & DIET pepsi. Rum/rye/etc...is pretty much pure alcohol and has NO sugar, and will LOWER your blood sugar. And if you are in a "relaxed" state from the alcohol you won't feel any symptoms you might normally feel from having a low-blood-sugar level.

Talk to a diabetic nurse/doctor or inquire at the ADEC centre, they'll explain anything and answer any questions you may have.

I was also always told if you are going to drink (and you're diabetic) then you need to EAT as well! Alcohol lowers the BSL, food helps compensate for that, BUT you also need to have really good control of your BS, and monitor it continually.

I thought the whole monitoring it frequently through the day was a pain in the rear, but then I realized my family needs me to be around for awhile yet...small price to pay to stay healthy!

♪♫**.❤.**♫♪♪♫**.❤.**♫♪♪♫**. ❤.**♫♪

Here's a link if you have time to do some reading, I'm sure you've already read tons...I'm always checking out diabetic sites and stuff, can never learn too much!

Diabetes and Alcohol
    ♪♫**.❤.**♫♪♪♫**.❤.**♫♪♪♫**. ❤.**♫♪

Becoming a Regular Here

If you are a newly dx'ed diabetic, you should not drink any alcohol because you have to concentrate on getting your blood glucose back in control. Alcohol will only make it a lot harder to achieve that. Once you are in control, then you can occasionally have 1 or 2 drinks per day depending on a couple of factors-you have to have something in your stomach before drinking-this will slow the absorbtion of the alcohol and sugars into the bloodstream. Another thing is your liver can only do one thing at a time-it will shut down glucose production to filter out the alcohol from the bloodstream(your liver sees alcohol as a poison and must remove it from the body)-so this can cause your blood sugar to go low and in some cases too low-something to keep in mind if you have a few and then go to bed or have to many and then pass out-thats dangerous territory. So basically you have to decide if it is worth all the trouble.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xzavia</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a link if you have time to do some reading, I'm sure you've already read tons...I'm always checking out diabetic sites and stuff, can never learn too much!

Diabetes and Alcohol </div></div>
    Thank you

Thank you to everyone

Hey guys, I had just heard about this post and would like to add my two cents. I have been diabetic (insulin dependant) for like 15 years. and I enjoy my drinking habit [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] First off, I want to make sure you understand, different people's bodies will always react differently there is never a for sure 100% correct answer. Alcohol will lower your blood sugar, I am not exactly sure why, I know my diatitian told me but I forget [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] when you are drinking, you should be eating as well. the best drinks you can have are liquor like vodka (unflavoured) or white rum (needs to be white) you can tell a liquor's sugar levels mostly by colour, dark rum is loaded with sugar and so is wisky (unfortunatly) things like white rum and DIET coke is okay, just be sure you are eating something. try to avoid sweet coolers and liquers. If you have a negative reaction (particularly low blood sugar) it will be hard to know because the symptoms are very simmilar, and your sence of judgment may be a little off. The best thing to do is to get to know how your body reacts, for instance.
    My boyfriend and I drink quite a bit together, we like to have fun like that [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] he is also diabetic. he needs to drink revs and sweet coolers like that, and constantly check his blood sugars, and often times, they will go low. me, I drink rum and diet coke, it's my fave [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] and I can go all night peachy-keen. it's simply because our bodies react with alcohol in different ways. I still check my sugar because well.... I like to be safe, but rarely do I need to make any adjustments.
    Beer is very high in carbs. Carbs are what turns into sugar in the blood stream. so, I would avoid drinking much beer. there is a few coolers that are very low sugar/carb (it could be called either on the nutritional info) Smirnoff Ice Ultra (5g of carbs) and Mikes light Hard Lemonade or Cranberry they are sweet, but are sweetened with aspertain or splenda, but I am pretty sure it's aspertaine. and just so you know, we have many more than a drink or two [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] but you would want to take into consideration your general health as well. Diabeties is hard on all your orgains and that includes your liver. But, I have some minor liver damage, but not enough to stop me from drinking the amount I do (not a huge amount, but not exactly just a social drinker) If you have any questions let me know, or check with a diatitian at ADEC.
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information