Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Interpriting the Bible

Default Interpriting the Bible

Why does the Bible require or even tolerate interpretation? I think if I wanted people to 'follow' me I would make the path plain, and easily seen. Why hide things in verse?
    If all Christians and many Religions follow the same basic text, all with their own interpretations, who is right and, do those who are wrong not reap the benefits?
    It is the interpretations that 'throw' people such as myself off, or away. When the Book seems to contradict itself or prints 'disclaimers' some of us fall to the wayside.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

Default Re: Interpriting the Bible

Quote Originally Posted by Anapeg View Post
    Why does the Bible require or even tolerate interpretation? I think if I wanted people to 'follow' me I would make the path plain, and easily seen. Why hide things in verse?
    If all Christians and many Religions follow the same basic text, all with their own interpretations, who is right and, do those who are wrong not reap the benefits?
    It is the interpretations that 'throw' people such as myself off, or away. When the Book seems to contradict itself or prints 'disclaimers' some of us fall to the wayside.
    Because nowhere does the Bible say that the Bible alone is sufficient for knowing what God wants us to know.

Jesus told his disciples to go forth and preach. If just reading the Bible was enough, why would the Disciples have been commissioned to preach and teach, regardless of when the Bible was written?

Because Oral Tradition and Bible is what is needed. One bequeathed the other.
    On the Shootout in Hockey: "It's like throwing a football through a ring. That's no way to end a game." - Fabian Joseph, captain of Team Canada

Why don't we start by looking at what is obvious and very clear in Scripture.

1: God exists.

2: What do we need to do?? Jesus said, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind and soul. Love your neighbor as yourself." Also, the Golden Rule., "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

Now, what more is really important???
    Religion doesn't save you, change you. heal you or set you free. Jesus does.

"if you could lose your salvation, you would!" John Macarthur

I promise to always post sober.

The question you should ask is why all major religions have a human that teaches them about the God you are supposed to follow? (Jesus, Muhammad, Buddha, etc...)
    They are often seen as the "founders" of said religion.

Coincidence, or is there a simple explanation?
    i5 2500K at 4.9 Ghz, H100, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition, 2 x 8GB Hyper X Fury, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Asus PB278Q 2560x1440

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    The question you should ask is why all major religions have a human that teaches them about the God you are supposed to follow? (Jesus, Muhammad, Buddha, etc...)
    They are often seen as the "founders" of said religion.

Coincidence, or is there a simple explanation?
    Indeed there is.

Jesus, the bible makes clear, IS God and man in one. How?? That's the mystery of the Godhead.

And Muhammad and Buddha are dead. Jesus is not.

Back to interpretation.

The Bible was written in Hebrew, and Greek. Jesus himself spoke Aramaic. With hundreds of different languages in the world, there is no way that every concept is going to look exactly the same at first reading. That's where interpretation comes in. And sometimes there have to be multiple words to explain one. Plus the original languages even have different tenses.

So Muhammad and Buddha were wrong in their beliefs?
    i5 2500K at 4.9 Ghz, H100, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition, 2 x 8GB Hyper X Fury, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Asus PB278Q 2560x1440

So Muhammad and Buddha were wrong in their beliefs?
    In the bible are these words:

?Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying, Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

Why don't you tell me??

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Morris View Post
    Why don't we start by looking at what is obvious and very clear in Scripture.

1: God exists.

2: What do we need to do?? Jesus said, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind and soul. Love your neighbor as yourself." Also, the Golden Rule., "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

Now, what more is really important???
    Again you use the Bible to answer a question about the Bible. If the Bible is Gods word, why would it need interpretation? His word is perfect, is it not? You freely interpret the words of his chosen messengers, why? Would they lie? Could they be wrong?
    Why do you have people tell you what the Bible says, you can read, right?
    Joseph Joubert

Again you use the Bible to answer a question about the Bible. If the Bible is Gods word, why would it need interpretation? His word is perfect, is it not? You freely interpret the words of his chosen messengers, why? Would they lie? Could they be wrong?
    Why do you have people tell you what the Bible says, you can read, right?
    OK, my two answers.
    1 God Exists. Yes, the bible assumes that, and makes it clear. But the bible is not my only source. And it does record some logic. It says that the unbeliever can look at nature and realize someone put it in place. Now that's not using the bible to prove itself, it just happens to be in there. And nothing comes from nothing,!!

My second answer is about loving God. Seems to me that a wise man will be concerned about his origins, and will search them out. And I think he can find his answers in the bible.

Interpretation. What can you do when a book has been written 2000 years ago, in a different culture, and by a variety of men with different educations and backgrounds. Is it not reasonable to believe that SOME interpretation is necessary.

Some churches claim God's exclusive authority to interpret the bible. I don't believe that. BUT. With some honest research, you will find very little major differences in the theology of churches that bellieve in the bible.

Now, if you want to pick a specific passage, I will look into it. People claim the bible is full of contradictions all the time, but they rarely can come up with one.

By the way:

Acts 17:11 "Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true."

These people didn't go to their rabbis, they didn't check with some church, they checked for themselves to test Paul's word against the Word of God that they had, the Old Testament.

Your God gave you a Bible. Ipsofacto, it has to be perfect as is, there should be no interpretation. Christians ought to accept it verbatim. Yet Christians do not. One needs only to look at the number of differing religions that are following the same God and the same Book to witness what interpretation has wrought. The original people in the Bible prayed directly to God and He presumably spoke to them. They did not kneel in front of a self-ordained man to have him relay the message. It was one on one, no intermediaries.
    No, I cry foul. God is perfect as His word is perfect. He would not send a messenger he thought might edit the message He wanted to be relayed. When we discussed the translating of the original m****cript into the different languages you as well as RW defended the translators saying they went to great lengths to guarantee perfection. Now we are told their translations did contain some errors. Perfection is just that. You cannot improve on something perfect.
    Joseph Joubert

Ipsofacto, it has to be perfect as is, there should be no interpretation
    This sentence needs an interpretation. All communication needs interpretation. Can you imagine any form of communication that does not require interpretation?

So I'm sorry, Anapeg, don't want to be adversarial. But how can anyone, even God communicate without interpretation being needed on the receiving end? Words have meaning. Language evolves. Meanings change.

So what was said 2000 years ago needs to be understood the way it was understood 2000 years ago. That requires some study, cultural information and historical background..
    Thus, I don't quite understand what you mean by "should not need interpretation".
    The heart of the human problem is the problem of the human heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesky View Post
    This sentence needs an interpretation. All communication needs interpretation. Can you imagine any form of communication that does not require interpretation?

So I'm sorry, Anapeg, don't want to be adversarial. But how can anyone, even God communicate without interpretation being needed on the receiving end? Words have meaning. Language evolves. Meanings change.

So what was said 2000 years ago needs to be understood the way it was understood 2000 years ago. That requires some study, cultural information and historical background.
    Thus, I don't quite understand what you mean by "should not need interpretation".
    Is Gods word not perfect. When the Bible was written it was at His behest, therefore, perfect. He knows all, knew all, therefore he knew what we are capable of understanding. If these three points are true, your interpretation should be not only unnecessary but unwarranted and intrusive. All should be true according to posts by yourself, Barry and RW in the past. I only echo your words. Or have I misunderstood?
    Joseph Joubert

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesky View Post

So what was said 2000 years ago needs to be understood the way it was understood 2000 years ago. That requires some study, cultural information and historical background..
    Yes, there is a form of communication that requires no interpretation: whenever the Holy Spirit speaks.

A few comments.

Is Gods word not perfect.
    We say, "We believe the bible to be inerrant in it's original writings". When those authors wrote, they used their own languages, which even in themselves reflected their culture and point of view. It doesn't seem unreasonable to me that some study of the culture and language would make things clearer, when translating into a totally different language, thousands of years later. Alos consider the nuances of a language where one English word MIGHT be used to interpret half a dozen ancient words, and vice versa.

When the Bible was written it was at His behest, therefore, perfect. He knows all, knew all, therefore he knew what we are capable of understanding. If these three points are true, your interpretation should be not only unnecessary but unwarranted and intrusive.
    See above.

All should be true according to posts by yourself, Barry and RW in the past. I only echo your words. Or have I misunderstood?
    Also see above.

Is there a particular passage you would like to discuss??

I remind you that there are cults that reject the clear word of God and insert there own beliefs via poor interpretation. They also claim a greater authority allowing them to do this.

A pre-emptive strike. Here you go, RWGR, an interesting explanation of Luther's reasons for using the word "alone", in referring to faith. And apparently he was not the first(including, Thomas Aquinas).
    Last edited by Barry Morris; 07-10-2016 at 11:01 PM.

Yes, there is a form of communication that requires no interpretation: whenever the Holy Spirit speaks.
    Prove it.

Prove it.
    Very simple: the Holy Spirit speaks without using words. Therefore, interpretation is not required.

Is Gods word not perfect. When the Bible was written it was at His behest, therefore, perfect. He knows all, knew all, therefore he knew what we are capable of understanding. If these three points are true, your interpretation should be not only unnecessary but unwarranted and intrusive. All should be true according to posts by yourself, Barry and RW in the past. I only echo your words. Or have I misunderstood?
    I still don't get it. Say something to me that does not require any interpretation. It's not possible. Every word needs to be processed.
    The heart of the human problem is the problem of the human heart.

Very simple: the Holy Spirit speaks without using words. Therefore, interpretation is not required.
    An example. Your wife can look at you, and you know exactly what she is thinking.

BUT, if she looked at me in exactly the same way, I would have no clue.

Unless you interpreted.

Odd to see you define the communications of a being you don't believe exists!!!

An example. Your wife can look at you, and you know exactly what she is thinking.

BUT, if she looked at me in exactly the same way, I would have no clue.

Unless you interpreted.

Odd to see you define the communications of a being you don't believe exists!!!
    I am simply going by what I have seen others post over the years regarding the way the Holy Spirit works.
    I see you keep avoiding discussing the way the Holy Spirit talks to people.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information