Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Crunching sound when braking

Default Crunching sound when braking

I just bought myself a brand new 09 Mazda 3. I know it's under warranty and I'm going to be taking my car to the dealer to see if there is anything wrong with it. However, I'm coming here first to see what your opinions might be because first thing they said is they've never heard of anything like this.

I'll explain the situation. This doesn't happen all the time, so I'm not sure what it could be. Sometimes, when I start slowing down when approaching an intersection, I'll start pressing on the brakes to start the slowing process. When I go to push on the brakes harder to come to a complete stop, I feel and hear a crunching sound coming from the front brakes and pedal.

Does anyone know what this could be?

Default Re: Crunching sound when braking

how long has this been happening. It could be sand ,salt , but who knows. good idea to bring it to the dealer first. I'm saying sand and grit only becuzz it is the season. Did it happen in the summer also?,,,could be time for a change of brake pads.
    That's what she said !

does it have anti lock brakes?
    Dale Earnhardt Sr...is the No 1 Driver in Nascar History..

Quote Originally Posted by puppy View Post
    does it have anti lock brakes?
    +1 good question.

My abs does that. Makes a crunching/grinding sound and i feel it in the pedal

abs brakes are meant to make noise when applied and on icey surfaces.....that is how they work.....sounds normal to me....

Senior Member Luv to be on the GO's Avatar

Asparus...don`t be alarmed
    When I got my car ( I mean when it was brand new)
    The same thing happened to me ....it`s your anti-lock brakes
    I was kinda embarrased when I took it back to the dealer !!!
    They probably thought God women are dumb LOL

Banned

Remember to pump em and not slam them!

Quote Originally Posted by gewgaw View Post
    Remember to pump em and not slam them!
    you don't pump abs.. The computer does it for you faster then you can even think.. You just keep your foot on the brakes and let the abs system do the work for you... I am so glad you don't drive.

Quote Originally Posted by giggle squirt View Post
    you don't pump abs.. The computer does it for you faster then you can even think.. You just keep your foot on the brakes and let the abs system do the work for you... I am so glad you don't drive.
    i was going to say the same thing....abs work all by the computer....no need to pump them and with abs the pedal feels like it is pulsating...

GRUMPY

ya but what does he know about computers?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by giggle squirt View Post

eh i was a great driver! until ummm never mind....

My truck does that and I was wondering why. It only does it in the winter and only on slippery surfaces. So this is what it is?
    "Fear of death is no reason to keep on breathing"

Broken....yup that is what it is...

What is that noise and vibration?

This is normal and indicates that the ABS is active. Various ABS sound or feel differently. Some of the effects, for example are:

* a groaning noise
    * a rapid pulsing of the brake pedal
    * a periodic dropping of the brake pedal
    * a hard (non compliant) brake pedal
    * a light that turns on to say "low traction".

You should familiarize yourself with how your system functions by first reading the "Owner’s Manual" and then testing your ABS in an empty parking lot under various climatic conditions i.e. dry, wet, snow and ice.
    Pulsating brake pedal Brake pedal will pulsate
    As the ABS engages, you may feel the brake pedal pulsating. This is caused by the system applying and releasing pressure to the brakes.

The noise associated with ABS when it is functioning should not be confused with brake squeal. If your brakes squeal under normal braking, this may mean the brake pads are worn and need replacing. A pulsing brake pedal every time you apply the brakes may mean warped brake rotors and/or seized brake calipers that require servicing.

REMEMBER...WHEN IN DOUBT, CHECK IT OUT. Transport Canada recommends that if you are experiencing any abnormal braking, have it checked out at your dealer.
    Die Lügen sind wie Schneebälle: je weiter man sie fortwälzt, desto größer werden sie: Lies are like snowballs: the farther they roll, the greater they grow

I only copied this because some people don't understand how ABS assisted brakes function.
    Like it says if you are questioning your brakes then get your dealer to inspect them..I have seen lots of cars,trucks and vans that were checked by local shops and were assured the customer that the brakes were good. And they are but the electronic part of the brakes(ABS)was having issues. Your dealer knows the system best, That's why we go on training.
    Die Lügen sind wie Schneebälle: je weiter man sie fortwälzt, desto größer werden sie: Lies are like snowballs: the farther they roll, the greater they grow

also one more thing that people may or may not know
    Is the stopping distance shorter with ABS?

No! From early commercials, it may have looked like you could stop on a dime. That instantaneous stop is not realistic. When braking on dry or wet roads your stopping distance will be about the same as with conventional brakes.

You should allow for a longer stopping distance with ABS than for conventional brakes when driving on gravel, slush, and snow. This is because the rotating tire will stay on top of this low traction road surface covering, and effectively "float" on this boundary layer.

A non ABS braked vehicle can lock its tires and create a snow plow effect in front of the tires which helps slow the vehicle. These locked tires can often find more traction below this boundary layer.

Can you disable your ABS and just have conventional brakes. Yes and No. If you disable your ABS by simply pulling the fuse then of course your ABS won't work. But what people don't know is most ABS Components such as the BPMV(Brake pressure metering valve) is also disabled this is like the conventional proportioning valve in older and non ABS cars,trucks and vans. With this disabled you will have unbalanced braking from front to rear...
    Last edited by fenderbass; 03-15-2009 at 08:16 PM.

ya the distance thing with abs is very true. It will help you maintain controll over the vehicle. After having a vehicle with out abs for years and then getting in to a vehicle with abs, the first time it kicked it i nearly messed my pants. Without abs i would just be pulled into the snowbank and such and i was use to trying to controll a vehicle with out abs. With abs i am able to some what stear and keep straitght.. If i find myself stopping and the abs kicking in, i will try to stear towards some road sand or something to try to stop the "floating" effect and get some traction. Abs can be very annoying at time, and it does not kick in until the vehicle is over a certain speed I do believe the standard is around 17kmh. I also had a vehicle where the speed sensors were gone and the abs didn't kick in when i expected it to... and i also had a vehicle where the tone rings were gone and the abs would kick in when it was not needed.

Another point to add to gearheadjay... ABS system can work on one wheel or all 4 wheels... if only 3 of the four wheels are slippiing then it will pulsate only the three... And it is also important to maintian pressure on the brakes... evertime you take you foot off and pump your brakes it resets the abs causing a longer stopping distance. I would also recomend that people with abs equiped vehicle take it out to a back parking lot or something and expaiment with it so they know how it will recat and any noises it will make so when it happens during a normal driving day you won't become paranoid. Also if you have a truck and are pulling a trailer your abs will react differently even if you think you have traction the weight of the trailer will affect slippage and stuff... i personally found it to kick in alot more.

I have a van with ABS. I was quite surprised to find the truck sliding right into an intersection when I had been very sure that it would stop before that point. An unusual situation, but not very nice.

When I got the truck, as soon as possible I took it out to try out the ABS and get a feel for how it works. I suggest eveyone do the same.

"Your dealer knows the system best, That's why we go on training"

LOL thats funny you's guys are all the same think you are the top of the feld and ONLY you know how to fix cars. I have seen the dealer take people to the cleanners over fixing simple things !!!! Only to show up at my door not fixed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information