Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lactose Intolerance

Default Lactose Intolerance

Well, out of four kids, the last one had to be the only one with any type of food reaction. LOL He's been on soy milk for maybe 4-6 months now. He can eat cheese and ice cream, but not milk, yogurt, or sour cream. Not sure why that is. Anyway, all my other kids eat yogurt daily, and my two year old doesn't understand why he can't have any.

Has anyone ever seen lactose free yogurt? I looked the last time I was at the grocery store (happened to be A&P) and didn't see any. I have heard that there is such a thing, and would like to get some for him if possible.

Other than that, I am wondering if I could give him the lactose pills at his age? He just turned 2 in January. Like maybe a quarter of one or something? He's about 25lbs.

Thanks in advance.
    I am not merely a mass of molecules, incoherently careening through time and space. I am a child of God, destined for another world, a world before which this one pales in significance. Our spiritual preparation for the next world is to be the priority of this life.

Default Re: Lactose Intolerance

i've never seen lactose free yogurt before, or pills for kids that little. maybe try a different yogurt. i wouldn't think the pills would hurt him but it would probably be hard to get him to take them. i have two lactose intolerant kids, as well as being lactose intolerant myself, and yogurt is one of the few non-specialty milk products we can all eat without getting sick. you could try mixing lactese drops in a large container of yogurt and letting it sit since it will break down any lactose left in there. usually cheese and yogurt don't have that much lactose in them because the bacteria they use to make them also break down lactose into two other sugars that are easier to digest. i'm surprised he can eat ice cream, it makes me and the kids sooo sick.
    "Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really wanna get tough, grow a v****a... Those things take a pounding." -- Betty White..

My girl eats yogurt as bluekrissyspikes says yogurt usually able to be eaten. Try a different brand or try putting lactose drops into yogurt. But some lactose intolerant can be different. Try a different brand or try putting lactose drops into yogurt.
    Ask your Dr or they may be able to help at the Country Way Store on Brock.

Yogurt usually helps with lactose digestion because of the probiotics in it..

Does he like cottage cheese? It's non-dairy. Maybe you could mash up some fruit and put it in with the cottage cheese to be like yogurt kinda.

Other than that, I don't know. Sorry!

Hmmm...maybe I'll have to do some experiementing with yogurt then. I may have just assumed it was something causing a problem. TMI I know, but if he has a glass of milk, and a bowl of vegetable soup for lunch, the veggie soup will be in his diaper within a half an hour, just as it went it. Poor little guy. It just stampedes through his little body. I can always tell when he's accidentally had something. His diaper is like watery clay. Yuck! LOL
    I am not merely a mass of molecules, incoherently careening through time and space. I am a child of God, destined for another world, a world before which this one pales in significance. Our spiritual preparation for the next world is to be the priority of this life.

Get the lactose drops, you put it in the food it is easier then the pills. You can also put it in the milk and it is easier then buying lactose free milk. I am lactose intolerant, and i can't eat normal cheese, but i can eat swiss cheese with out any problems, astro yogurt kills me but i can eat danino yogurt no problem. Ice cream is a big no no and so is chocolate milk no matter now many lactose pills I take. When i was a kid my doctor had my mom take out all things dairy from my diet for a month.(i was given vitamins as suplaments) and then on week one they would give me a bowl of ice cream to see how i reacted to it... then wait a week then give me yogurt and see how i reacted to that and so on and so fourth to rule out an actual lactose allergy or a intolerance. I also have problems with eggs and aparently eggs have something to do with lactose allergies..

Chaotic Chick

Only one of my four kids is lactose intolerant and yogurt was never a problem for her. I did start her on lactose pills when she was about two and a half, as per her pediatrician's instructions. She still had some problems so I was told that she should only eat certain cheeses (like Swiss) and to try the lactose free milk.

I've just become lactose intolerant and it does suck. I can eat yogurt, I only eat Danon(sp) and it's never caused a problem. For ice cream I now have sherbert, you can even get it as chocolate. You can make a cheese flavoured sauce using a type of yeast, the Country way can help you with that. I can't eat processed cheese but sometimes the regular cheese is ok. No problems with cottage cheese or sour cream and I only buy Lactaid milk or Natrel lactose free milk. I can use it without the gut problems, thankfully.

I personally won't take the lactaid pills because of the aspartame so I just avoid the lactose containing products and learn the hard way. I've not seen ones without the aspartame but I've never looked.

I couldn't imagine telling a little guy that he can't have the same things as the siblings, that's got to be so hard. Maybe there are different types of yogurt that will be more tummy friendly for him but I've never seen lactose free yogurts anywhere. Definitely check with the ladies at Country Way, they'll help you and enjoy doing it.
    "Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do."

I went to the Country Way today, and they don't have the soy yogurt, or the lactose free yogurt, and they don't have the drops either. They have capsules? don't think that would work for a just turned 2 year old.

I'm leaving for a concert in Detroit in the morning, but I will have to test him out on the yogurt on Monday. I think I just assumed he couldn't have it. We've been buying the yogurt tubes, and the little Minigo's. So after the yogurt test, if he reacts poorly, I think I'll just borrow a lactose pill from a teen at church that is intolerant to see if it works before I spent $20 on a bottle.

Banned

lactose intolerance is good, makes you poop alot

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie B View Post
    I went to the Country Way today, and they don't have the soy yogurt, or the lactose free yogurt, and they don't have the drops either. They have capsules? don't think that would work for a just turned 2 year old.

I'm leaving for a concert in Detroit in the morning, but I will have to test him out on the yogurt on Monday. I think I just assumed he couldn't have it. We've been buying the yogurt tubes, and the little Minigo's. So after the yogurt test, if he reacts poorly, I think I'll just borrow a lactose pill from a teen at church that is intolerant to see if it works before I spent $20 on a bottle.
    try the Yoplait Plus blue container yogurt 650g it has some plant extracts it works well

Quote Originally Posted by gewgaw View Post
    lactose intolerance is good, makes you poop alot
    True, not so good for the diaper bill though.

Banned

my sister is L.I. and she has been on those pills for years, she started them when she was about 2ish...so i dont see why your little one can not take them, just talk to his doctor..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie B View Post
    True, not so good for the diaper bill though.
    ya my sister if she ate cheese, yogurt, drank milk she would get the poops and really bad gas and stomach pains, but the pills helped her alot..

Banned

try drinkin almost a whole 4L chocolate milk, not only will you poo you will feel nautious to the stomach from too much Vitamin D

Banned

well duh, if you drink too much milk you will puke...

I can't believe nobody has really talked aboout soy products!! You should be able to get a number of different flavours and types of soy yogurt at any major grocery store. It is a tad pricier than regular yogurt, but I would think it is about the same price as Activia.

I can't drink milk or have ice cream, but I eat cheese and yogurt without problems. I have substituted with soy products for ice cream, and either soy, rice or almond milk for the milk part. Almond Breeze makes a KILLER chocolate milk!!
    Our mistakes are what make our fate...

Quote Originally Posted by gewgaw View Post
    try drinkin almost a whole 4L chocolate milk, not only will you poo you will feel nautious to the stomach from too much Vitamin D
    i highly doubt it's the vit D. if it was, there'd be sick babies all over the place
    i really think it's the fact that you drank a whole 4L chocolate milk

i've never seen soy yogurt before. soy milk is good though, especially the vanilla one but it has a lot of sugar in it.
    "Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really wanna get tough, grow a v****a... Those things take a pounding." -- Betty White..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kitty&mimi View Post
    i highly doubt it's the vit D. if it was, there'd be sick babies all over the place
    i really think it's the fact that you drank a whole 4L chocolate milk
    Yah i actually read on the internet that too much milk or vitamin D makes you nautious... and i can attain to this

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information