Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Applying for Status (Metis)

Default Applying for Status (Metis)

Has anyone or know anyone who's applied for Metis status? My grandfather received his, and I'm thinking I might be able to as well. I googled but haven't found anything that seems too concrete. Would it be from a government site? I'm lost

Default Re: Applying for Status (Metis)

I believe you can go down to their office at 26 Queen Street East, or try giving their office a call 254-1768.
    I'm amused by stupid people. It's better than cable and it's FREE!!!

Chaotic Chick

Yes, you can go to the office on Queen St E. They will need a lot of family history, so be prepared to know pretty much your whole family tree. lol

You will need to prove that your native ancestry is from the algoma district. Basically, that you or someone in your family history belongs to a Band. Then , in order to use your card for hunting and fishing, you will need a harvest card ( issued from the band) to do so. And even then, you still may be charged for hunting or fishing illegally, because the MNR and the government stil have not agreed to all the issues surrounding this. My friend, who has a metis card was charged a few years back. He thought the metis card was good enough to hunt and fish. Today, He tore it up and disposed of it. He has a regular fishing license and he applies for a moose tag every year. So, be careful and make sure you have all the documents in order.

Quote Originally Posted by intuit View Post
    You will need to prove that your native ancestry is from the algoma district.
    Not true. You can be Metis from anywhere, and still get your status. What you need to prove for area is only when applying for Harvesting, etc. licenses.

mercifulpenguin, if your grandfather has already received his, he will have a card with a number. All you have to do is provide that number on your application, and prove your relationship to HIM (like with copies of birth certificates), since he's already provided the family history up to him to get his. If you go down to the office on Queen, I think it's right beside, or one door down from Joe's Sports, near Gore, they will help you. They're great in there. I know this stuff, because my Mom got hers a few years ago, and then my brother. I've been to busy to apply for mine.

Adding: you're looking for the office on Queen East called Metis Nation of Ontario, or MNO.

http://www.metisnation.org/

It is true, If you want to hunt and fish in the algoma district , You must prove you belong to a band in the algoma district. If you family is from the east coast and you belong to the band there. That is where your havesting rights are. So, I'm not sure what b&a mom is talking about, be careful where you get your advice from....ask the metis office this question, I'm positive, they will give you the same answer.

What b&aMom is talking about is that you can get Metis status by being Metis. Hunting/fishing/logging rights in a certain area are a whole different kettle of fish, and it is THERE that you must show a history from the area. Not to claim Metis status. Just claiming Metis status, and receiving it, does not provide any harvesting rights.

Incidentally, it doesn't have to be just Algoma. A family member is eligible, and the proof is a birth in Ottawa area during a certain time period. Status are rights are two different ball games.

ok, so basically, it was misunderstood what I was saying. Granted, anyone can get a metis card, but what good is a card if you have no rights. Its a membership, thats all, and you pay a fee for it. Its useless, unless you belong to a band. People realized this over time and that is why the Metis membership has decreased 50% over the last 10 years and 90 % of the staff was laid off at the albert street office.

Are you talking about the MNO, or that other Metis association that was embroiled in some legal/financial stuff a few years ago? AFAIK, the only money my mother paid to the MNO was the application fee, no membership fee on a regular basis.

As for what good is it, without harvesting rights? IIRC, there are several programs or initiatives that involve funding assistance with new businesses, education, etc. Also other types of supports. My only interest in having it is declaring my heritage, and possibly leaving opportunities open for my kids in education assistance, either financially if we are unable to help them, or in getting into programs, like the med school, that has certain numbers of seats for those with native heritage.

Thanks for all the info everyone
    Ya, I don't really intend to hunt, and didn't even consider it for fishing, but rather funding assistance with potentially a new business and/or more likely, film grants. I'm presently out of town, but I'll check it all out when i get back. thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by intuit View Post
    ok, so basically, it was misunderstood what I was saying. Granted, anyone can get a metis card, but what good is a card if you have no rights. Its a membership, thats all, and you pay a fee for it. Its useless, unless you belong to a band. People realized this over time and that is why the Metis membership has decreased 50% over the last 10 years and 90 % of the staff was laid off at the albert street office.

Pride and proof of your heritage? Believe it or not, for me that is enough.
    “Teachers are expected to reach unattainable goals with inadequate tools. The miracle is that at times they accomplish this impossible task.”
    Haim Ginott

Just a question.....if you have a Metis card do have to pay the pst or gst???

I have a friend who has a Metis card. So does her mother and her son.

My Gdaughters B/F had his tuition paid to Sault College because his Ggrandmother was native. They would even pay his room and board if he went out of town. But it's a one time thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Gram View Post
    Just a question.....if you have a Metis card do have to pay the pst or gst???
    Yes, you still pay all taxes that those with no First Nations heritage pay.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by b&aMom View Post

I thought if you had staus you did not pay the PST and were exempt from it!!

Quote Originally Posted by b&aMom View Post

I am a bit confused my friend who has a Metis card buys her gas and ciggys in Garden River.

Chaotic Chick

Metis status and Aboriginal status are different.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Gram View Post
    I am a bit confused my friend who has a Metis card buys her gas and ciggys in Garden River.
    Yeah, and I have a neighbour that buys cigarettes in Garden, too, and she's about as native as Napolean. LOL

Having Metis status does not keep you from paying taxes. I don't know exactly how it works, but I think you have to be full status native (which Metis is not) to have tax exemptions, or one full status grandparent. Metis, by it's very definition, means a mix of Native and European ancestry, in Canada. In the US Metis has a different meaning, but IIRC it means Native and ANY other heritage mixed.

Chaotic Chick

Yeah, Metis is basically European and Native background. My father is half Native and half Irish and my mother is Irish/British which makes me Metis. Having a Metis status card is definitely not the same as have a Native status card; I work for a social service organization that serves mainly Aboriginals but I am considered to be non-Aboriginal.

I have researched a little about obtaining a Metis status card but to be honest I have no idea what kind of benefits there are to having one. As b&aMom said there are no tax exemptions related to it and I know that because an acquaintance of mine obtained her Metis status card, only to be disappointed that she was not able to use it for that purpose. I understand that it is good to have pride in one's heritage and all but it is nearly impossible for me to apply for a Metis status card since we recently lost my grandmother and she was the only one who knew the necessary information.

correct me if I'm wrong, but that is what I have been saying all along. Metis card means nothing, no financial support, no hunting, no fishing,no education paid for, no saving on taxes. Basically, if your ancestors were born in canada ( and had relationships with indians), aren't we all metis!!!!!! Now theres a point to ponder. You have to have a status card for the rights as indians. I know, I looked into this...I went down to the metis centre 4/5 years ago and asked all kinds of questions, only to met with a negative response.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Chick View Post
    I understand that it is good to have pride in one's heritage and all but it is nearly impossible for me to apply for a Metis status card since we recently lost my grandmother and she was the only one who knew the necessary information.
    CC, don't give up just because your grandmother is gone. My mom did the research, and on her side, the most recent, full-blooded native ancestor is my 6 or 8x grandmother (that is documented...could be more recent, just not noted in the records). If any of your history is in Quebec, you're laughing because the Catholic church kept unbelievably awesome records. I know I have native ancestors on my dad's side, too, just haven't had the time to dig back.

intuit, how right you are about how many are Metis in this country, and most don't know it. Anyone who can trace their history back to the French men who came over back in the 17th and 18th centuries, very likely is Metis. The MEN came over, but it was a loooong time before any single women were sent over. Even when women were sent over, men quite often had their wives, and then their "summer" wives...native women who were away from the cities, where the men were working.

For me, it's a matter of pride, and a desire to see any remnants of the "us and them" thing removed from our society. I hate, so much, to hear of the crappy conditions of many of the areas that First Nations live in, the housing and water issues, etc. I'm hoping that the "us and them" will disappear, and the problems are just addressed, without all the crap.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information