Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: what is a good rawhide bone for a pup

Default what is a good rawhide bone for a pup

i have been reading on line and they say its good for pups that are teething so anyone even give thier pup a raw hide bone if so what kind is good for them?

Default Re: what is a good rawhide bone for a pup

Don't buy anything for a dollar store or supermarket. They are made in China and loaded with striknine.

I have always given my dogs nothing but soup bones. Works thier teeth just fine regardless of how big the dog is. Raw hide can get logged in their stomachs so I'm told.

GRUMPY

My Beagle used to freeze up after eating one you could actually push him over. I'd stick to real bones.

The best thing for teething pups that I found, and used was flavoured ice cubes. I took chicken broth or beef broth and made ice cubes. it gives them something to chew and the cool helps the pain of teething. And if you use real bones don't cook them, they can splinter and cause problems. Feed them raw.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.

2+2= 7 on this bulletin board, and to argue about it is futile.

we used a rag that we put water on and froze for our doggy when she was teething. Much cheaper and cleaner and better for them than any rawhide

i buy my rawhide bones at Foremost I have never had a problem with my dog they have all different sizes

Rawhide can be hard on the digestive system, and there are a lot of dangers that come along with it (choking, blockages, etc).

The best type of bone is a raw soup bone, you can get them at the butcher on Northern Av is it? (same street that the K-Mart Plaza is on) for I think $2 a bag.

Rawhide cannot be digested if swallowed in larger chunks. There have been thousands of cases where a dog needs surgery to remove it from their stomach/bowels because of this.
    I buy Bully Sticks from YIPS. They are 100% digestable, and there has never been a case where one has had to be surgically removed from a dog. I also buy real bones for the dogs, and have never had a problem.
    There are so many alternatives to rawhide, so I just stay away from rawhide altogether.

Y.I.P.S sells some made especially for Puppies. They don't get soggy from Chewing so there is less chance of choking... They worked great for my pups.
    If you want the best seat in the house, move the dog.

i have to get to yipps one day hard with no wheels and now the pet store in the station mall is closed so all i have is zellers
    it sux

do yourself a favor and the dogs. DON'T I say DON'T give him rawhide in any form. They use to make my dog very sick at times it was the vet who told me to stop giving him them soon after he was a whole different dog health wise.
    If Your reading this the topic must be boring.

We have been giving our 8 month old pup Chico Purina Alpo Dog Treats - Chew-eez, tasty beefhide treats. He loves them, no chewing on Human items (shoes, furniture, etc) since we have been giving him these at 3 months. They come in a red box of about 8 long / wide strips for about $3.00 (cheapest place is food basics)
    Time is a great teacher, unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

I'm going to suggest having someone go pick up Bully Sticks for you or taking a bus. We completely love the bully sticks from YIPS and I've got 6 dogs. My household gets very quiet and they zone in on them for long periods of time. They last a long time and there is no worries about what's in it or if they aren't going to be able to digest them. The bully sticks may be a bit more expensive but you get what you pay for.

I don't/won't buy anything that has been coloured/dipped or preshaped to look cute. Rawhide can be very harmful and if you don't know where it comes from, you can't be guaranteed that there isn't something toxic in it.
    I know we all sound paranoid but it's like choosing baby food for an infant, you must be so careful so that nothing harms them.
    "Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do."

i am heading to Y.I.P.S tommoro with omar finally got a day off during the week

WoooHooo, you'll love it there. Lots of goodies and tonnes of toys.
    "Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do."

i just hope he does not pee on the floor

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Genny</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have been giving our 8 month old pup Chico Purina Alpo Dog Treats - Chew-eez, tasty beefhide treats. He loves them, no chewing on Human items (shoes, furniture, etc) since we have been giving him these at 3 months. They come in a red box of about 8 long / wide strips for about $3.00 (cheapest place is food basics) </div></div>

my dogs choke on these. Nothing says fun like reaching down a slobbery throat to take out something else slobbery. It gets wet really fast, the dogs swollow it. ew lol

I buy Bully Sticks, Cow Tails, and Rabbit Ears for my crew and they love them all. I get all 3 at Y.I.P.S. Sherri will help you out...she's a fantastic lady [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: katste11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I buy Bully Sticks, Cow Tails, and Rabbit Ears for my crew and they love them all. I get all 3 at Y.I.P.S. Sherri will help you out...she's a fantastic lady [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] </div></div>

Rabbit ears!!!! Oh no not bunny. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif[/img]
    Dogs Have Owners ~ Cats Have Staff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *~TippiKitty~*</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: katste11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I buy Bully Sticks, Cow Tails, and Rabbit Ears for my crew and they love them all. I get all 3 at Y.I.P.S. Sherri will help you out...she's a fantastic lady [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] </div></div>

Rabbit ears!!!! Oh no not bunny. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif[/img] </div></div>

ROTFL No not yer bunny...but I think this is the reason why I can't let Penny play with the rabbits...first thing she does is run up to them and start knawing on their ears! LOL

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information