Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advice!!!!!

Default Advice!!!!!

I need some advice.. I love pitbulls, I have for a long time. My parents wont let me, I am 18 but they don't think I can handle one because they are so "vicious." I try to tell her its how they are raised, and that any dog can be just as vicious. I saw that Pitbulls and Chickens thing and I think that may have changed her mind a little bit. I heard that their jaws lock if they "play bite" and they have to continue to bite, but I don't know.. any advice would be great!!

Default Re: Advice!!!!!

That's TOTALLY untrue and I swear, whoever started that rumor should be shot and buried. God that ticks me off. It is that sort of stupidity that kills off the breed.

Pitbulls are DOGS, NOT snakes. NO they cannot unhinge their jaws and NO they cannot "LOCK" their jaws.

They are JUST LIKE every OTHER dog in the world when it comes to anatomy. There is no magic switch in their mouths that make their jaws lock.

Here's the difference....pitbulls have a VERY strong determination. Though, ironically enough, you can get that out of any dog, dependant on the dog.

So no, they dont "lock jaws" they are determined not to let go. They were (and unfortunately still are) bred to do that because of pit fighting.

Pitbulls are also currently illegal in Ontario, so if you get a young one, you'll have a hard time getting it fixed or getting it its shots, and you won't be able to get it done across the border either. And chances are if you get a complaint on the dog, it'll be put down. Check out Bill 132 (just google it).

Im off my soap box now. Sorry to go off, but that is a HUGE misconception made of of those who are afraid of things they know nothing about.

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/ Excellent site on pitbulls

Thanks alot.. it helps to have somebody else explain that.. maybe it will change her mind now that she heard it from someone else, Also thanks for that link to the site.. it is very good..
    thanks!

No problem. I own bull breeds, I love them to death. Best dogs IMO.

I've got a 5 yr old and a 5 month old, and when my 5 month old is on the floor, my bull breeds lay at his feet and sides. He kicks them, bulls their ears, etc. They LOVE it, and they sleep through it all. Especially my female, you can see how much she enjoys it.

My hunting dog though, different story, he'll step on the baby and doesnt care less. The bulls are very cautious with the kids.

hah.. they sound great!! Are they good with other breed dogs, because I already have one?

Its all how u raise them....If u get one young enough he/she should be fine with other dogs....Like any dog...there alot of work...and i think Pitbulls need more attention then others to ensure there brought up and raised properly...with the proper love and care I believe they can be a mans best friend like any other type of dog
    i mean look at what they said about Pomeranians...when researched they say there not good with kids and there not childrens dogs....well I have a pom and let me tell you she loves kids...goes nuts when she sees one...just wants to play and love them up
    Its all how u raise them...

As a Shelter worker, who has worked with MANY, PIT BULL both pure and mix. Pits have a very hard drive, We have had a few that where unperdictable. some down right mean and then there are the sweet hearts, Yes dogs are what you make, but it can also be in the genes,and tyoe of breeding, I think they should only be owned by people who are capable of handling the power and drive.and are willing to teach the dog OBEDIENCE, Why would you a 18 year old want to get a Pit, are you settled down enought to have a pet. its hard to rent with pets and some times you have to pay extra money. Are you going to be going to school off to collage. who will take the dog? cant take it with you. who will take it out if you go to a local collage. Maybe your mom and dad are right, Please give it a lot of thought befor you get a pit. or any other breed. god luck in your dission.

alrighty..

Mo-Jo. I dont want you to think that a 18 yr old cant own a cat or any other pet, JUst be sure your parents are willing to back you up if you need them,

Of course they don't lock their jaws. When our beautiful pit bull grabbed my son by the neck, she didn't lock up. Thankfully!
    She was treated well, was well trained and our dream dog and we loved her a great deal. When she grabbed my son (he was 2 at the time) she was very confused and knew that she had done something wrong. She laid down and just kept her head down.
    We put her down.

That was a case of a wonderful dog gone unpredictable. She was a purebred with papers, excellent form and wonderful attitude raised by a loving family that didn't let her away with everything.

I'm not against pit bulls but am still uncertain on how I feel about them. I wouldn't ever tell anyone not to have one, it's their choice, but it needs to be thought out, like any permanent decision. I listened to my cousin one day talking about how much she knew about pits and rotties and how she was going to own one because they were cool. She was 16 and unfortunately was going at it with the wrong attitude.

Be educated and be a responsible pet owner regardless of what type of pet you get. Good luck.
    "Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do."

Banned

i have 2 pitbulls and they are the sweetest dogs on earth, so loyal and affectionate. like u said it is in how u raise any dog that makes them who they are. in my whole life i ve been attacked by 4 different dogs, all of which were german sheppards. So does that mean they should be banned?..lol.. the pitbull law really bugs me alot. and the other thing that makes me angry is when a pitbull attacks its all over the news, when any other breed of dog attacks do u ever see that spread across the news? Vicious jack russell attacks 3 yr old kid..lol..

Turns out they just wont trust one.. Well I tried [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img]

Why not try them on for a boxer instead then? a nicer reputation, very friendly, obedient and loving-and still cary that bull dog look-while also being impressively gentle with children. Just an idea.
    Wisdom ceases to be wisdom when it becomes too proud to weep, too grave to laugh, and too selfish to seek other than itself.-Kahlil Gibran

Or a Boston Terrier.lol go a lil smaller.

GRUMPY

Or a Beagle. Pound for pound I'd match them against any dog for strength. Only trouble with them the only thing that they seem to love to attack is their supper bowl, totally useless as a guard dog.

I look at it this way
    How many hours per day can u devote to a pitbull...from what i have seen if there with someone all day long training them..there wonderful pets...when there alone for 8-12 hours per day they become very aggressive...
    18 is young age to raise a dog
    ...factor this in please...im 21...I have a Dog...live on my own

30$/ month on food
    toys...
    100$/ month to have someone watch her while im at school
    walks..
    not being able to go out all night...
    having to live with her destroying things if i dont pick up everything...
    over 400$ in vet costs when all said and done

Like dogs are great but u have to understand the work that u have to put into them...its not easy...
    your 18...your young...like don't get me wrong you could be responsible but i dont think neone has ne idea how much work is involved until u get them...
    please...please consider this...You have to have the time or the money to have them socialized or elses ur asking for trouble
    This really goes out to ne1

i have 2 pitbulls and have had them for 15 yrs and there is no problem, we worked for 8 hours a day both me and the hubby and they are not aggressive, its all hearsay, people like to aasume things about pitbulls that aren t true because of the media. so i guess by saying if left alone for 8 to 12 hours a day they will be aggresive, does that mean only pitbulls? no other dogs will become aggressive if left alone for that amount of time, stupidest thing i ve heard today

How 'bout a loving needing homeless dog from the HS?
    Dogs Have Owners ~ Cats Have Staff

Thats what i am doing.. I have 1 from the humane society like a family pet.. I just decided I will rescue another one.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information