Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with new Lawn?

Question Help with new Lawn?

First of all I have to tell you that I have a "Black thumb" I can't grow much of anything. except it seems weeds.
    Last summer we had to put in a new septic system. Our back yard was pretty much completely excavated - well one whole side anyway.

It was pretty late in the year and we failed to seed it. So by fall we had quite a crop of weeds. Now this year I'm demanding that it be seeded and that we actually grow grass.

We've bought seed and scotts turf builder, but I'm wondering if we should do some kind of spray or something to get rid of the weed crop before we spread topsoil and seed etc...

Suggestions??
    Attitude is contagious - is your's worth catching?
    The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..
    Make peace with your past, so it wont spoil the present

Default Re: Help with new Lawn?

yes, get rid of all those weeds! i suppose you will have to use a poison, then wait a few days before spreading the soil to make sure they die. i think you have to wait 7 days before seeding after spraying with roundup. if you dont want to use a poison you can lay out thick layers of newspaper or tarp and hold it down by wetting it or rocks and smother the weeds, but it takes longer. (i just hate the poisons)

this time of year is perfect for grass. grass likes cool and wet conditions to grow, so spring and fall are best. you will just have to make sure that you water it well all year till it is established.

Default Re: Help with new Lawn?

Good Advice,,
    I also found that the seed you use is important..
    I moved a flower bed and had a hard time to get grass to grow,
    I picked up some shade seed,
    It was not to long and it was filled in.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information