Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DJ Central

Thumbs down DJ Central

I personally think if DJ's want to post their add in "Musician Central" they should seriously think about posting in employment wanted, because DJ's are not musicians and they are the cause of "Musicians" not having as many gigs and or lower paying gigs.

Default Re: DJ Central

You have a point. I don't know how the DJ section got in this forum.

I know it wasn't my idea and the other moderator doesn't seem to know either.

Well, the section was here so I used it, after I saw someone else use it. I for one promote live music every chance I get. I also work hard to get some decent bands here once in awhile. As far as DJs not being musicians? Sure, some just pop a disc in and hit play, but think about guys like Moby. I would definately call him a musician. There's a little bit of an art to remixing music. Some guys do it great live. I've seen some musicians look at my decks and be totally perplexed at how they work and the stuff they do.
    The trouble with life is..there's no background music.

It wasn't my idea for the DJ section to be added, I have nothing against DJ's they do weddings and I hate playing weddings, to hard to please the crowd.
    DJ's play music and this is the music section so they stay here for now.
    Die Lügen sind wie Schneebälle: je weiter man sie fortwälzt, desto größer werden sie: Lies are like snowballs: the farther they roll, the greater they grow

I agree that there are DJ's that can be more entertaining than some live bands. That makes them entertainers not musicians.

Musicians are entertainers but they are not DJ's

You would probably need a 6 to 10 piece band to be able to cover all the stuff requested at a big wedding these days and no one can commit to the time and effort required to put it together in this town.

I suppose we could change the name to "Entertainment Central" and then we could get magicians, jugglers and sword swallowers in here too.

Banned

If it was changed to Entertainment Section would it be okay if strippers and call girls advertised

Banned
    Intersection of Hwy. 49 & 61 Clarksdale, Mississippi

Gearheadjay has it right about weddings, BUT.....
    I blame DJs for the dreaded Carry any ole key.
    I am old enough to have seen great rock bars turn into discotheques or at least dance clubs!
    Somethings I can't forgive or forget.
    Someone else's idea of what is good music, will make me puke in my mouth sometimes!

Quote Originally Posted by Pleiades View Post
    I personally think if DJ's want to post their add in "Musician Central" they should seriously think about posting in employment wanted, because DJ's are not musicians and they are the cause of "Musicians" not having as many gigs and or lower paying gigs.

There are different types of disc jockeys. Some just play music from one song to another with very minimal effort via a a laptop or mixing board. They also usually play the exact same same play list over and over again from one place to another. They don't charge as much because all they are doing is just playing music and making sure there is no dead space. They can program and walk away. These are not musicians.

Then there are ones that actually know how to manipulate the music they play by changing their speed, looping, extending, mixing, etc. They play with vinyl on turn tables or use CD decks that have vinyl emulators and digital mixing effects. These DJ's are the ones that you should be looking for if you are looking for a non stop dance experience, they usually play in dance clubs and most of them have their own unique way of remixing. I consider them to be musicians because they actually make an honest effort into changing the music and making it sound different everytime.

Then you have the ones that create their own music and do official dance remixes of other artists and spit out ten different versions of one song. These are professional DJ's that are very well established and are ofcourse considered to be musicians, like Moby, Tiesto, William Orbit, etc..

There are many in the Soo that fall under the first category. From the second category there are only a few in the soo that actually do this, myself included. Of the third group there are none that I know of locally.

As for what Pleiades said about dj's being the cause of musicians not getting as many gigs and getting less pay, i'd have to disagree with you.
    Bands have more than one member and each member wants a fair share so obviously they have to charge more than a DJ, it's the bar owners that are too cheap to hire the bands. It's not a DJ's fault that his / her rate just happens to ber more economical.
    Last edited by Hey Mr DJ; 04-23-2009 at 03:59 PM.

.. Admins made the decision to put the DJ,s
    here.
    Last edited by fenderbass; 05-15-2009 at 09:13 PM.
    Die Lügen sind wie Schneebälle: je weiter man sie fortwälzt, desto größer werden sie: Lies are like snowballs: the farther they roll, the greater they grow

I've done all three, I love to creat my own stuff, also have done remixes and edits.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Mr DJ View Post
    There are different types of disc jockeys. Some just play music from one song to another with very minimal effort via a a laptop or mixing board. They also usually play the exact same same play list over and over again from one place to another. They don't charge as much because all they are doing is just playing music and making sure there is no dead space. They can program and walk away. These are not musicians.

Then there are ones that actually know how to manipulate the music they play by changing their speed, looping, extending, mixing, etc. They play with vinyl on turn tables or use CD decks that have vinyl emulators and digital mixing effects. These DJ's are the ones that you should be looking for if you are looking for a non stop dance experience, they usually play in dance clubs and most of them have their own unique way of remixing. I consider them to be musicians because they actually make an honest effort into changing the music and making it sound different everytime.

Then you have the ones that create their own music and do official dance remixes of other artists and spit out ten different versions of one song. These are professional DJ's that are very well established and are ofcourse considered to be musicians, like Moby, Tiesto, William Orbit, etc..

There are many in the Soo that fall under the first category. From the second category there are only a few in the soo that actually do this, myself included. Of the third group there are none that I know of locally.

As for what Pleiades said about dj's being the cause of musicians not getting as many gigs and getting less pay, i'd have to disagree with you.
    Bands have more than one member and each member wants a fair share so obviously they have to charge more than a DJ, it's the bar owners that are too cheap to hire the bands. It's not a DJ's fault that his / her rate just happens to ber more economical.
    Try arguing your point to a panel of hard working musicians. You'd get crucifide. LMAO!!!
    Can Moby and all that other garbage compare to John Petrucci, Marty Friedman, Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Neil Pert, Osca Peterson? etc, etc... lol

P.S. And thank you for solidifying my original statement...
    Last edited by Pleiades; 04-28-2009 at 09:37 PM.

Banned
    Intersection of Hwy. 49 & 61 Clarksdale, Mississippi

Quote Originally Posted by wiener View Post
    Pleiades is a sore loser. Why U attacking the DJ's man? You really think bars are gonna hire the same band that plays the same songs everyt ime they perform? People get sick of hearing the same regurgitated crap all the time.
    You have never been to the Bars across the river?
    You can tell what time it is from the songs being played...regurgitation happens with both.
    Pleiades is no loser and nor is any DJ....it's the public that loses and therefore the public is the loser!
    Some may disagree, but I have a hard time fitting the Disc Jockey into the Arts!

A musician is a person who performs or writes music. Musicians can be classified by their roles in creating or performing music:

An instrumentalist plays a musical instrument.
    A singer (or vocalist) uses his or her voice as an instrument.
    Composers, songwriters and arrangers create musical compositions, songs and arrangements. These may be transcribed in music notation, performed or recorded.
    A conductor leads a musical ensemble. A conductor can simultaneously act as an instrumentalist in the ensemble.
    A recording artist creates recorded music, such as CDs and MP3 files.

There is more, simply google. A DJ is NOT a musician. A DJ makes a living playing the music of real musicians.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

GRUMPY

a DJ is just as much a musician as a radio announcer is and that is not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Anapeg View Post
    Composers, songwriters and arrangers create musical compositions, songs and arrangements. These may be transcribed in music notation, performed or recorded

There is more, simply google. A DJ is NOT a musician. A DJ makes a living playing the music of real musicians.
    Correct me if I am wrong here but doesnt a good DJ remix songs to make them unique? I will agree to the extent that most DJ's are not musicians. All they do is spin a vinyl or press play on a CD deck. Others however dedicate alot of time into their profession remixing songs to make them unique. In a sense, they are rearranging tracks or composing their own tracks.

Jackin' around with some artists song makes me an arranger and composer, really? Perhaps you would like to get the people at Websters to reword their meaning of those words?

No matter how nice it sounds, no matter how well it flows it is now and always will be someone else's work you are PLAYING.
    Joseph Joubert

Jackin' around with some artists song makes me an arranger and composer, really? Perhaps you would like to get the people at Websters to reword their meaning of those words?

No matter how nice it sounds, no matter how well it flows it is now and always will be someone else's work you are PLAYING.
    Yes, however if you mixed in your own beats, rearranged the track, it now becomes your artwork. It would be the same as countless other artists that remake songs that were performed by other bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Insanity View Post
    Yes, however if you mixed in your own beats, rearranged the track, it now becomes your artwork. It would be the same as countless other artists that remake songs that were performed by other bands.
    With your logic I, by adding a couple of brush strokes can make the Mona Lisa my work. Think about it.
    Joseph Joubert

With your logic I, by adding a couple of brush strokes can make the Mona Lisa my work. Think about it.
    I am not just talking about "a couple of brush strokes". Most mixes include a ton of work which take time and expertise to complete and master. "a couple of brush strokes" does not take skill or much time at all. When a track is completely remixed, it becomes that DJ's mix, hence why when songs are remixed, it is labeled <original artist name> - <song name> (<DJ name> remix). For instance; Justin Timberlake - Sexy Back (Insanity remix).

The point I am trying to make is that even though some DJ's dont actually record the music, they use instruments to remix or remaster others artwork.

You seem to have your heart set on being called a musician for playing someone else's music, so be it, you sir ARE a musician.
    Joseph Joubert

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information