Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DJ Central

Default Re: DJ Central

Actually I dont DJ at all. I dont have the skill nor the capacity needed to become a DJ. Heck all I could do is press play on a CD deck and maybe work a sound board. Musicians constantly rework other musicians songs to make them their own. Using your Mona Lisa example, it would be like me copying the painting using my own paints to recreate the same thing.

GRUMPY

the ONLY way that it would be considered your work is if you actually preformed the music with each of the instruments other than that you just arranged it.

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPY View Post
    the ONLY way that it would be considered your work is if you actually preformed the music with each of the instruments other than that you just arranged it.
    So Taylor Swift can claim that her songs are her work because someone else wrote the songs and I highly doubt she can sing, play guitar, and bang on the drums all at the same time?

GRUMPY

is it her singing on them and is she paying the wages of the musicians??? recording a new song or covering an older song is in no way anything like somebody remixing someone else's song and then trying to call it their work. So in a nut shell yes she can call them her work. By your way of thinking then I should be able to remix some of the Beatles hits and call it my work and make millions on it. The only way that even would have a chance of flying would be if it was stated that it was the Beatles and that it was a remix by me and I paid them the royalty on it and thats not even going near any of the legalities of it.

is it her singing on them and is she paying the wages of the musicians??? recording a new song or covering an older song is in no way anything like somebody remixing someone else's song and then trying to call it their work. So in a nut shell yes she can call them her work.
    Covering a song is in a sense like remixing a song. To cover a song, you are taking the lyrics of that song, the sheet music of the instruments involved, and making it your own either by paying a band to do the drums and such while you do the vocals or if you are a band, doing it all yourself. Remixing is similar in the form that you are taking the song, remixing a different beat into it while keeping the same lyrics and basic sound and turning it into something different. The original song is not yours, but what you created by remixing that song, is yours.

So in a nut shell, if covering a song is considered an artists own work, than remixing a song to create something different, but of the same, can also be considered an artists own work.

GRUMPY

Quote Originally Posted by Insanity View Post
    So Taylor Swift can claim that her songs are her work because someone else wrote the songs and I highly doubt she can sing, play guitar, and bang on the drums all at the same time?
    If you check the disc cover you will see that the song writers have all been given credit for their work and most times the musisians are also acknowledged. If she is a smart girl you will also she her name numerous times on there too, as the recording artist only gets 3% of the money and each time they get mentioned again works out to around another 3%. That is why you see the artists are sometimes down as producer, executive producer and what have you.

By your way of thinking then I should be able to remix some of the Beatles hits and call it my work and make millions on it. The only way that even would have a chance of flying would be if it was stated that it was the Beatles and that it was a remix by me and I paid them the royalty on it and thats not even going near any of the legalities of it.
    Okay I must have missed where you extended your post so I will rebuttle this part. As stated, many musicians have covered other bands songs. They probably paid royalty on said songs based on the sales of that record. DJ's can most likely do the same if permission from the original artists is there.

GRUMPY

Covering a song is in a sense like remixing a song. To cover a song, you are taking the lyrics of that song, the sheet music of the instruments involved, and making it your own either by paying a band to do the drums and such while you do the vocals or if you are a band, doing it all yourself. Remixing is similar in the form that you are taking the song, remixing a different beat into it while keeping the same lyrics and basic sound and turning it into something different. The original song is not yours, but what you created by remixing that song, is yours.

So in a nut shell, if covering a song is considered an artists own work, than remixing a song to create something different, but of the same, can also be considered an artists own work.
    No sense arguing with you as you will always see black as white. The best way to find out is to do a disc of anyone that tickles your fancy and send a copy to the band in question. Be sure to tell them that you'd like them to have a free copy of your work. What are the odds that their attorneys are all over you before you know what hit you.

GRUMPY

DJ's can most likely do the same if permission from the original artists is there.
    True enough but then anyone in the world can do whatever they want if the permission is there.

No sense arguing with you as you will always see black as white. The best way to find out is to do a disc of anyone that tickles your fancy and send a copy to the band in question. Be sure to tell them that you'd like them to have a free copy of your work. What are the odds that their attorneys are all over you before you know what hit you.
    And why do you suppose that artists like Teisto and other DJ's can distribute their work and not get sued?

Banned
    Intersection of Hwy. 49 & 61 Clarksdale, Mississippi

And why do you suppose that artists like Teisto and other DJ's can distribute their work and not get sued?
    Socan

a DJ is just as much a musician as a radio announcer is and that is not at all.
    Musician here for 46 years.

BS, Grump.
    Religion doesn't save you, change you. heal you or set you free. Jesus does.

"if you could lose your salvation, you would!" John Macarthur

I promise to always post sober.

GRUMPY

your right, I think I'll go create some great music as soon as I find that new cd I bought.

Refer to post # 13. That rendition is not mine but the dictionary's. Owning and playing with a record player or mix board or whatever does not allow you to CREATE music. You are simply b astardizing someone else's work.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

From a lot of the arguments I am seeing, does this mean that "musicians" who cover other people's work (cover band) are not musicians. Wouldn't they also be *******izing someone else's work? They might put their own twist on the song, same as a DJ remixes..but ultimately, it isn't their own work.

I saw Tiesto's name mentioned as well...not all of his work is remixed works of other artists. There are many DJs who create the entire track... record all of the parts, mix and produce the song. Because they aren't an entire band and can't reproduce the song live, they simply play it. Does this mean that DJs like Tiesto are not musicians? Or is there a difference between musician and composer?
    The trouble with life is..there's no background music.

Quote Originally Posted by fenderbass View Post
    DJ's play music and this is the music section so they stay here for now.
    My iPod plays music too, can I post my iPod questions in Musician Central?

GRUMPY

To me if you play the musical instruments and play the music you are a musician. Otherwise I would be a great musician every time I turned the radio on.

GRUMPY

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie_Normous View Post
    My iPod plays music too, can I post my iPod questions in Musician Central?
    if it bothers you than don't join the thread

So where would an artist like Weird Al Yankovic fit into this topic?

Banned
    Intersection of Hwy. 49 & 61 Clarksdale, Mississippi

Al's good...he plays.
    For a DJ to be considered a musician, than his equipment would have to be considered a musical instrument.
    That would make Milli Vanilli singers and we all know the truth on that one!
    An artist perhaps, a performer definitely, but without an actual musical instrument you are not a musician, IMO.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information