Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wii Modding

Default Wii Modding

Just managed to find myself a Wii and allready curious and the modding options. I read about the Wiikey and it seems easy enough to install but i have no experience working the inside of electronics. Anyone know someone who has experience or pass along some info? Just curious if ya gotta order the chip yourself or how much installation is. Just some random info for a Wii dummy.
    No Quirky Message For Ju

Default Re: Wii Modding

Well, I paid $80 for the chip & installation, if you want a comparison. If you're not really familiar, then have it installed by someone who's done the Wii multiple times already. The Wiikey alone will cost you about $40 US w/shipping from almost everyone (respectable) that sells it.
    Asus P5Q Pro
    4GB Mushkin XP
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
    WD 640GB SATA2 (x2)
    Radeon HD 4850
    Vista Premium

Right on and hows it working for u? Also whats a good site to get these Wiikeys from? I heard might have problems installing them on the new Wii's and I just got mine so i'm a lil weirded out.
    No Quirky Message For Ju

Well, for the most part, its great. Often enough I seem to get 'An error has occured, please remove the game and turn off the power.', but I believe its media related, as opposed to the actual Wii itself.

The games take 3 hours each to dump, then burn the ISO at 2x or as slow as you want. I've been using Verbatim DVD+R & Maxell DVD+R for the games. Some games fail on a Vebatim disc, while others fail on a Maxell. It's weird... oh well. The games work well, with slightly longer load times, and as I mentioned, sometimes the above error message. Wii Play & Resident Evil 4 are the games that have given me that error most often. Also, I can't seem to use either media brand to successfully burn Marble Mania.

I need to do more research on the best media for Wii games.

I don't really know the best site, since I no longer live in the Sault, and I had a local guy here in Ottawa do the mod and he supplied the Wiikey.

If he'll ship to the Sault though, his site is http://www.ottawamods.ca/
    Asus P5Q Pro
    4GB Mushkin XP
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
    WD 640GB SATA2 (x2)
    Radeon HD 4850
    Vista Premium

I ordered my Wiikey from this place... ordered it on a Friday and it was at my door on the following Monday... $26 US right now and it includes the screwdriver to open the Wii and the wires to install the chip.

http://www.foundmy.com/oscom/product_inf...836f6a01ebcdb44

I tried to find someone to install it locally since I didn't have any experience in soldering myself but after about 2 weeks of waiting I went and installed it myself. It was not easy, it took me a few tries to get it working but since then it's been working great.

I have heard the newer Wii's don't have the solder points on the MB anymore but have seen some people that have soldered the chips right to the legs of the chip.

Well i guess my best bet is to just wait until someone who's smart with these systems comes around and can explain what the deal with these new Wii's is and if they can still do it for a price. I don't really want someone dinking around with it if they have no clue what theyre doing and thats exactly what i'd do as i have no soldering experience at all. So if any of you happen to know someone tell them to get in touch with me. I'd sure appreciate it.
    No Quirky Message For Ju

I modified a gamecube not too long ago, had a friend do the soldering as I am dangerous with an iron and solder...lol.

I order my unique parts from Divineo.com and no problems there.

A question to Apple and Paco...does your modchips successfully employ stealth? My son loves his virtual console and I was wondering if the chip is undetectable when the Wii is online.

Yeah, the mod works fine in that sense. The only drawback is that you can't update a PAL game, otherwise it bricks the system and its unrecoverable. There are patches, generally called 'nobrick' that you can burn onto the games with the main ISO, and it prevents it from happening. Personally, I don't burn PAL, I just get NTSC versions.
    Asus P5Q Pro
    4GB Mushkin XP
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
    WD 640GB SATA2 (x2)
    Radeon HD 4850
    Vista Premium

I've not had any problems with my Virtual Console, in fact I hadn't even bought anything from the VC until after I had the mod chip in. I have heard some people bricking their systems when updating with a different region game as well, I believe the PAL version of Mario Strikers was the most recent one. You can avoid that by making sure you have the most up to date firmware installed before you play the game though. Or use the 'nobrick' program that Apple mentioned. I too prefer to just use NTSC versions instead.

Yes I stay away from PAL ISO's and always go with NTSC. I just heard if Nintendo detected a mod chip they would kick the console from online features such as VC and system updates. Chip is on the way...thx for the link, cheaper than my usual place.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information