Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: feeding a puppy

Default feeding a puppy

how long do i feed him puppy food

what is the bes puppy food and adult food?

Default Re: feeding a puppy

I fed my dog puppy food until she was 1. Lots of people here swear by Chicken soup. I just have mine on what she came with from her breeder which I agree isn't a great food but I've tried switching her several times and each time several weeks trying and she just doesn't have a great tolerance for change. So, when you do change your puppies food make sure to set aside enough of the old stuff to last a few weeks incase it take awile to switch over.

I fed my dog puppy food untill he was like 1 years old.. I dont know if thats right or not.
    I am not sure what the best food is either but I feed mine pedigree.

Everyone will have a different opinion on what they think is the best food. Better answer to your question is what NOT to feed a puppy or a dog. Dont feed food that has wheat flour, or wheat middlings (sawdust), or wheat ANYTHING. Also stay away from the food if "by-products" are in the ingredient list. I also stay away from corn, which is not digestable, and usually used as a cheap filler and a cheap source of protein.
    Obviously you won't find "healthy" foods in a grocery store, you can only get premium brands at a pet store. Talk to the pet store nearest you, and I'm sure they can recommend something better than Iams or pedigree, or god awful Cesar.

If your dog is a large breed, you probably will want him on puppy food for at least a year. My newfie though, has been on adult food since day one, because we wanted him to grow slow, not all at once. The pet store should have more info on that as well. The food I'm feeding right now is an "all life stages" food, which is intended for puppies as well as adults. The way Yips explained it to me is that wolf pups in the wild don't eat just puppy food, they eat what the adults are eating.
    If you're going to Yips, talk to them. They are quite knowledgable. They're the only store in town I'll ever call for my pets needs.

Depends on the dog, if it's growing too fast, then you can switch it to adult food. Mine have all been on adult food since they were well before one.

And most large breed dogs, breeders do not recommend large breed food or puppy food EVER (I.e. Great Danes). The protein isn't right for them.

Like they said you will get many opions on food. I think if it is a small dog you will want to feed it small breed. I would feed them till at least 6 month. I feed diomand small breed. I like it for the small size, My old dog loved Chick soup for the soul. an years ago i fed pedigree for close to 10 years,so what ever your dog does best on is what you really need to feed it.

i am gonna go with the canidae all life stages once he is done this bag of crap

Canidae is great...that's what I feed my little man

Don't forget to keep some of the bag of crap to mix with GL. Its much easier on the digestive system if you mix it and slowly introduce the new brand.
    Attitude is contagious - is your's worth catching?
    The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..
    Make peace with your past, so it wont spoil the present

Ive pre mixed at a ration of 50=50 some people think it should be, 30=70,I i only do it for a week. and mine are fine.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information