Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: pickeral

Default pickeral

where do you go around here for pickeral? my hubby has just taken up fishing and wants to go for pickeral.

Default Re: pickeral

If you mean walleye, then that species are not the same. Walleye is proper name. A pickeral is a strain of pike.
    That's what she said !

yes, i mean walleye that everyone calls pickeral in canada and most americans call walleye.

The St. Mary's River has pickerel but they are caught usually in the summer months - July into August. One of the closest lakes to fish for pickerel is up the 38 Road, about a km past Chippewa Falls and then turn right. Get some maps and look for it - there is an upper and lower Tilley Lakes. Lots of lakes East of the Soo contain pickerel but in my opinion, over fished. Heading up Highway 129 will get you into pickerel waters - the farther you drive the better your chances.

thanks. up the 129, thats up to chapleau eh? his family goes every year to ramsey lake up there and get gazillions of them. but its closer for them since theyare fromsudbury, its a long long drive from the soo. anyway, thanks. others have mentioned the tilleys too. thanks.

Definitely Chapleau area...its the way to go.

echo lake........lots of nice ones there,and close.

Does anyone know if there is a lake (with decent fishing) up near Chapleau that you can drive to that rents cabins for a weekend?

What about the mercury level (amongst other toxins from the great lakes) of the fish in Echo lake? Would it not be worse than fish from an inland lake?

I'm just wondering if anyone knows, or do you just not worry about it?

Senior Member EyelashExtensions's Avatar

Aubrey is good...we caught our limit every time. I will ask my man where else, I know he knows of places closer to the sault. Gordon Lake I think is another place.

I don't worry about mercury, we don't usually eat large fish(from St. Marys). Those are the fish that carry the most mercury(usually). There is mercury in pretty much every lake no matter where it is. It would be more concerning if we were eating fish a few times a week(which sometimes happens, but usually with smaller fish). It can't be any worse to me than eating beef that has been loaded with drugs and whatever other chemicals the cows ate.

Lmao thanks for clarifying the whole pickeral/walleye thing for me. You should hear the conversations I have with my Dad back in NY. I truly believe that I have confused the man calling what he knows as a walleye, pickeral, and raving about how good it is. He just keeps saying that pickeral isn't the better than walleye and is full of bones. Now I know!

This is a walleye.

This is a pickerel.

The only area in the world you will get away with calling a walleye "pickerel" is northern Ontario. You sound like an ignorant fishin' redneck when you call walleye "pickerel". Happy Hunting and Tight Lines!!

lol, well, this redneck from goulais had never heard of a walleye in 45 years till recently. but pickeral arae really good!

There is nothin' wrong with being a redneck. Just doing my part to clear the ignorance

Senior Member EyelashExtensions's Avatar

We went yesterday, caught our limit plus I got 3 perch and a pike(threw back).

there is a place on lake windermere near chapleau that had cabbins and boats and gorgeous scenery on the lake. it is called happy trails lodge, its about a 20 mile drive in from the highway. we didnt fish there but from what i hear the fishing is incredible. i dont know what the camps are like either because we tented. the lake is just gorgeous.

I'm with you Kitca. I'd rather be called a redneck and call them pickerel like everyone else around these parts, than sound like south of the borderins callin dem fishies waalleyes, thankee.

Speaking of "pickerel", has anyone been having any luck up on Aubrey or Rocky Island lake? I heard from two people on two different occasions that it was netted heavily this spring during the spawning season. The nets were right near the spawning beds... Conservation? what conservation?

One more question: are there any nice remote campground areas at any lakes up in the Chapleau area? Something you can drive to that's not too rough a road?(lakeside places to park a trailer with no hook-ups or electicity I mean)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information