Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Moving perennials from Ontario to Alberta

Default Moving perennials from Ontario to Alberta

We are moving to Fort McMurray mid July and I want to take some of my perennials with me. They will be going on a moving truck and I was just wondering what the safest way was to bring them. I am planning on keeping the buckets that my kitty litter comes in. Should I fill the bottom with rocks and water and use as much earth as I can with my plants?
    This will be a 2 days drive - its apprx. 30 hours from here to Fort Mac.
    My hostas are really mature and I dont want to leave them behind or my bleeding hearts or honey suckle. I also plan on taking some new plants (still in their pot) with me.
    Thanks..
    Adopting one pet will not change the world but, it will change the world for that one pet.

Default Re: Moving perennials from Ontario to Alberta

oh no LL, all the poor stray cats in wawa will miss you!

ok, take as much earth as possible. if you soak the ground the day before it will stay together alot easier too. you wont need rocks or water if you have lots of earth with the plant. well, you may want to put it in a grocery bag and add some water. if you cut alot of roots then it will need more water. but if you can lift the whole rootball with soil it will do very well.

ft. mac is in a different climate zone? make sure the plants you are bringing will live in that zone. im not sure what it is up there though.

kitty litter buckets sound good, they will protect the stalks and leaves also.

i hope you will still post on here and let us know how you are doing!

Default Re: Moving perennials from Ontario to Alberta

Hey Kitca! I most definately will. My cousin will still be here doing her part. I hear they call us the "TAAG girls of Wawa" Fort Mac is a Zone 3 and under. Ive already looked into that.
    Thanks for the tips!
    Adopting one pet will not change the world but, it will change the world for that one pet.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information