Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: allergy's to black flies

Default allergy's to black flies

I have one child who is allergic to black flies, and pine beetles, will swell up like a balloon with in minutes, does not become anaphalptic but each bit he gets is getting worse and hes a child who loves the outdoors!!

I do give him bendryl and ice packs to control the swelling but asking a 5 yr old to put the ice pack on is like asking for a million dollars, theres been times he has swelled so bad he has had to have antibiotics in fear of a infection underneath the swelling(so I have been told)

I do not like to just give him bendryl as my oldest child relies strictly on bendryl and prgnazone for allergic reactions as she is allergic to the epi something in it to keep it stable, and bendryl you can become Imune to if its given to much!!

so my ? is there a pill out on the market that he could take to help control this, I hate to keep him in the house 24/7 all summer long... he got his first bite the other night and it was large for a few days.

thanks in advance

Default Re: allergy's to black flies

do you slather the boy down with insect repellant? help keep them away at least.
    i think you should be asking your Dr about pills not a bunch of soonet quasi experts..lol

I agree, I was just more concerned if there was such pill available or shot, as He gos to the drs regulary in the summer for antibiotics to help with swelling, etc, and they have just never said anything so I was just woundering if such product was available?

as for fly dope yes he gets drenched with it!! does it help no, there is only one that seems to work and its called, mosiqutio shild, works good but not recomended for kids under 12 hes 5,

I went for a 3 hour hike the other day with my kids in behind Desbarats. We sprayed ourselves down with Deep Woods Off and even though it looked like we were ready to be carried off by black flies by the swarm around us, we never got a bite.

I realize you don't want to spray your kid down with a carcinogen on a daily basis if avoidable, but when the alternative is potentially having his throat close up, I think I'd take my chances with the bug spray.
    I am not merely a mass of molecules, incoherently careening through time and space. I am a child of God, destined for another world, a world before which this one pales in significance. Our spiritual preparation for the next world is to be the priority of this life.

I usually alternate between benadryl and reactine with my son. He goes camping with my parents all the time and love being out doors but if a bug flies near him he swells up. I have also found that using the benadryl pen works on the actual bite site itself. I find it hleps with the swelling at the site itself and takes the itch away.

http://www.shopinprivate.com/benitrelstic.html

that is what it looks like. got it at shoppers. the pharmacist recomended i try it. My son is 6 and has been using it for about 2 years now. My bf gets bit by something and he swells up and looks like the elephant man LOL>
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam, which means "Either I will find a way or I will make one."

My son is the same as yours. We have found the lotion bug stuff to work better than the spray. We apply it on all exposed areas and it lasts longer & will not come off if he sweats. We make sure he wears long pants and long sleeve shirts when at camp & around the bush. Invest in a bug jacket, too, with the screen over the hood. We use benadryl and cortisol (applied directly to the bites) if he gets bitten.

I'm going to be looking into the possibility of allergy testing/ allergy shots at his next doctor's visit as he is now starting to get hives from the bites as well as swelling.
    “Teachers are expected to reach unattainable goals with inadequate tools. The miracle is that at times they accomplish this impossible task.”
    Haim Ginott

Thanks all for the kind helpful hints

My dr in the past has told me DO NOT USE the benydrl pen, I do not remember the reasons, but also told me they are trying as physicians to have it removed off the shelfs as they are not safe..

I do have one! but has not been used since DR said no...

I just feel so bad for him, its not bad when its summer summer and he can get in the cooler water that helps control the swelling aswell, he got bit by a pine beetle last yr and it swelled his little eye shut, and had to have antibitocs etc!! it was crazy.. he swells bad with fly bites aswell, but nothing near the pine beetle bits,..

his dad also has reaction to bee stings, anaplaptic though and has to carry epi pen and thats the fear I have for him with a simple bug bite of it getting worse...

My Girls are the same way...we have to buy the benydryl allergies...it stops the itching for a bit...but that is something i have to buy all summer...just gotta keep them buggged up with all those lotions for fly bites...just itches at the thought...good luck

NM
    LIVE LIFE...LOVE LIFE...ENJOY LIFE TOO ITS FULLEST...YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN IT WILL COME AND TAKE YOU

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by icecapp View Post
    I agree, I was just more concerned if there was such pill available or shot, as He gos to the drs regulary in the summer for antibiotics to help with swelling, etc, and they have just never said anything so I was just woundering if such product was available?

as for fly dope yes he gets drenched with it!! does it help no, there is only one that seems to work and its called, mosiqutio shild, works good but not recomended for kids under 12 hes 5,
    sometimes it will say not to use on children under a certain age, unless directed by a doctor. so maybe you can use it just ask the doctor..

Banned

question about those epi pens, they are a needle on the end right? are they only good for one use or multiple uses?

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie's_Mommy View Post
    question about those epi pens, they are a needle on the end right? are they only good for one use or multiple uses?

yes they are needles on the end!! single use, you miss your screwed... 130 buxs a crack with out coverage, and like I said if you miss and it snaps your screwed, we have 2 of them for my husband and all had to have a lesson from dr on how to use them.. as you need quite abit of force for them to work.

Wow, has your child been stung by a bee before? That's scary business if your husband goes into anaphylactic shock. I would for sure carry an epi-pen for your child just in case.
    I am not merely a mass of molecules, incoherently careening through time and space. I am a child of God, destined for another world, a world before which this one pales in significance. Our spiritual preparation for the next world is to be the priority of this life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie B View Post
    Wow, has your child been stung by a bee before? That's scary business if your husband goes into anaphylactic shock. I would for sure carry an epi-pen for your child just in case.

as of yet no and its a huge huge fear (being hes alergic to one drug, and more outdoor elements)!!!! as it does run in the family.

Senior Member EyelashExtensions's Avatar

My daughter also gets HUGE bug bites, they swell up pretty bad. My Dr. told me the reason anyone and everyone gets a bump and itch from a bug bite is because we are ALL(pretty much every person on the planet) allergic to them. Some people more than others, but unless the reaction is life threatening it shouldn't be a concern. Like throat swelling etc..Maybe exposure would help and not hurt. Just like some people who are allergic to cats aren't so bad after they are constantly around them.

There are head nets at Canadian tire for $2(I think)....one way to help prevent bug bites. Vanilla...as in the pet thread(you might want to check out) and good old fashioned bug spray.

calamine lotion comes with benedryl mixed in, called caladryl, for using as a lotion. helps a lot.
    and skin so soft by avon works great to keep bugs away, have your kids bath in it on a regular basis, you should notice a difference, loved the stuff whenever we went camping.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information