Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The 10 Worst HDTV Ripoffs Explained

Hybrid View

Default The 10 Worst HDTV Ripoffs Explained

The 10 Worst HDTV Ripoffs Explained

http://www.stampedeglobal.com/blogs/...5/06/7708.aspx

Default Re: The 10 Worst HDTV Ripoffs Explained

I don't agree with offbrand tvs. Case and point, my parents and grandparents both needed a new tv and bought one at around the same time. My parents bought the name brand one (I beleive Sony), while my grandparents bought a Magnavox. This was probably about 10 years ago. The sony has since died and has been replaced while the magnavox is still going strong. I think my parents also bought another name brand TV after the sony that had to be replaced.

Also, most "no name" TV's have the same panels and circuit boards as the higher end models since most major manufactures contract out the PCB. If both Sony and Magnavox use Company X for the PCB, Company X will usually just take the PCB from Sony and remove/add features required for Magnavox and vice/versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruel_Intentions View Post
    I don't agree with offbrand tvs. Case and point, my parents and grandparents both needed a new tv and bought one at around the same time. My parents bought the name brand one (I beleive Sony), while my grandparents bought a Magnavox. This was probably about 10 years ago. The sony has since died and has been replaced while the magnavox is still going strong. I think my parents also bought another name brand TV after the sony that had to be replaced.

Also, most "no name" TV's have the same panels and circuit boards as the higher end models since most major manufactures contract out the PCB. If both Sony and Magnavox use Company X for the PCB, Company X will usually just take the PCB from Sony and remove/add features required for Magnavox and vice/versa.
    OTOH, my sister is still using a Sony that my dad bought in the late 1970's.

There's only a handful of manufacturers who make their own LCD panels. So when you buy a no name brand the LCD panel itself could be produced by Samsung. The only difference is the circuitry used to drive the LCD screen, and the I/O options the manufacturer decides to add.
    i5 2500K at 4.9 Ghz, H100, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition, 2 x 8GB Hyper X Fury, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Asus PB278Q 2560x1440

That reminds me about checking the voltage at my church, since my power supply read high. Sure enough, 125 volts. We had it cut back at the pole transformer to 119.

A few percent like that helps equipment life.

That could be why a certain electronic item dies quicker.

I have owned Sony TVs most of my life. A few Toshibas scattered around aswell. However now I "upgraded" to a Dynex. The only thing I find wrong with the TV, is that it's only a 32'' and not a 108''.

Other than that, I find little to nothing wrong with it. Bluray movies turn out flawlessly ( only 720p ). Sure Cable will look a little poor but that's because of the fact that it's not being brodcasted in HD.

Brands don't matter. It's just a shell. Dynex contains LG guts. LG makes pretty impressive TVs.

On a side note, I currently have a 32'' Dynex that's been working like a charm since day 1. Quality is not perfect, but far from poor. Screen is clear of any issues/defects and runs relatively cold for an LCD in a cramped room. That however isn't the best part .... best part isI paid 260$ when the TV was advertised for 329.99(tv) 100$ 3 years warranty = 360$. It pays to know how to haggle the clerks at Futureshop.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information