Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: calming dogs during thunderstorms/fireworks?

Default calming dogs during thunderstorms/fireworks?

I have one dog that gets extreamly distressed during fireworks and thunderstorms, and my other dog could care less. Does anyone have any tips for calming him? he paces and whines and vibrates. He keeps going to his crate to lay in his bed and then is up 20 seconds later pacing and whining. I have tried to put him in his crate with his bed and blanket and close the door but he just goes crazy. I have tried to sit him up beside me and pet him and calm him but no luck. Any ideas?
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam, which means "Either I will find a way or I will make one."

Default Re: calming dogs during thunderstorms/fireworks?

my winston is the very same. our other dogs havent cared, but winston is the same as you mentioned.

what either stanley coren or ceasar milan said was that to try to calm them and make a fuss over them only reinforces the behaviour. that somehow the dog feels that. the best thing is to stay calm and not react. its hard to do, i feel so bad, i want to comfort winny, but it didnt work anyway, so now i dont feel as bad.

thats what i do here anyway.

Tika is a freak even the surround sound on the t.v. make her vibrate...she is so afraid, like kitka said I try to ignore it because nothing works anyway....Holly cuddles Tika its funny.
    Whimsical and Determined!

ok this is a little late, but i dont come on much. Hopefully it will help you next year. (I hope your pooch wasn't too stressed)
    I just read that giving a dog one of those toys (I forget the name of the toy) filled with peanut butter will help. I got this off the freekibble.com site, which a good site to visit daily to donate food by clicking on the answers to the daily questions for both cats and dogs:

http://www.freekibblekat.com/
    http://www.freekibble.com/

(both sites link to each other)
    Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

My dog does the same thing. I just ignore him...poor baby...We always know when a thunder storm is on the way about 3 hours before it gets here.

Some people say to get a recording of fireworks or thinderstorms and play this on the radio gradually getting higher and higher until you can turn it on and the dog knows it'll be okay. I have a friend who did this with her dog and apparently it works. For my dog sitting with her and watching the thunderstorm worked wonders now she loves to sit and watch the lighting. As for Fireworks obviously we don't take her near where they're going off. When they are going off it's late and past her bedtime so she usally sleeps through them.. Good luck with your doggy next fireworks!!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information