Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What does being a grandparent mean to you?

Default What does being a grandparent mean to you?

I love all of my grandchildren, I have five now and a sixth one on the day. And I am incredibly proud of my adult children, in that I see them as GOOD parents. Although each adult child, has different views in their parenting ways, I am impressed. My grandchildren are spoiled with love, they have rules and boundaries. They are taught to treat their elders with respect. ALthough, the oldest grandchild is only 8 years old, and the dreaded teen years have not yet arrived.

Being a grandparent is a privilege. I love to see their little faces light up with smiles when they come to grandma's house. You get all of the joy, and none of the work. lol

I even tell my kids, in my next life, I want to have lots of grandchildren, without having children of my own. lol

Default Re: What does being a grandparent mean to you?

it means you're old

Quote Originally Posted by MK . II View Post
    it means you're old
    Dam you beet me too it. lol
    If Your reading this the topic must be boring.

I have 5 Gchildren and I am old!!!!

They are 25--22--22--19--18....so wait until they are that old 2 have graduated University with BA's. Then you will have to be a super gram. Believe me..

I'm just getting ready to be a Gramma come February...its very exciting, I get an extention of my own children and I don't have to do the long nights and bazillion diapers...it sounds good to me.
    Whimsical and Determined!

I have 5 grandchildren and a sixth on the way, too. My oldest grandchild is eight, too. I love them to pieces.

It seems that I have a lot more patience for them than I did for my children.

You are only as old as you feel.

Aging is a privilege that not everyone gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Gram View Post
    I have 5 Gchildren and I am old!!!!

They are 25--22--22--19--18....so wait until they are that old 2 have graduated University with BA's. Then you will have to be a super gram. Believe me..
    This is why I never argue with SuperGram. She has earned my respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Noyance View Post
    I have 5 grandchildren and a sixth on the way, too. My oldest grandchild is eight, too. I love them to pieces.

It seems that I have a lot more patience for them than I did for my children.
    I am not sure this is true for me. I am more easily irritated with loud noise, fighting, etc. I used to be able to tune it out. The part that makes me FEEL more patient is simply knowing that their parents are going to come and get them soon, and they aren't sticking around forever.. always nice to see them come for a visit. But it's nice to see them go back home..

I can relate to that, on the one hand, we have more patience, because we know at the end of the visit, they will go home. lol On the other hand, we have less patience, because we tire faster. (noise, and energy of kids, can can very tiring.)

I only take my grandchildren, one at a time. At least until they get older. I don't babysit any of them, if they still are in diapers, or need to be carried. Back problems make it hard, especially in the winter when they are bundled up in heavy clothes.
    Around 6 years old, is great. They walk and go to the bathroom on their own. lol.

And when they don't listen, I say, oh my you are making me tired when you don't listen, I guess I will have to take you home, now. They are quick to say, I will listen grandma.

I don't want to discipline or punish them, thats their parents job. (But I will, if its needed.) I just want to be a fun grandma, and play with them when they come.

When my Gchildren were young I used to take them to Dairy Queen cause their parents never took them there.It was fun to watch them choose what they wanted.

I had lots of patience with my own and once they got a little older the joke has been that people can't bring kids around me cause I'm allergic...I get a rash, headache, nauseous but I think with Grandchildren they are an extension of my own children so its different.
    Whimsical and Determined!

I know that Bob-Toe and KarenAnnie are the best step grandparents anyone could ever ask for. They don't care that the children are my step children, they treat them the same way any grandparent would!! like spoiling them and loving them no matter what.
    Thanks Mom and Dad!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,It's learning to dance in the rain.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information