Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Papers???

GRUMPY

Question Papers???

I noticed an ad on a bulletin board at a local pet food store for pure breed dogs, without papers. Isn't that the same as a mutt then? Please no disrespect intended towards any mutt out there seeing some of my best friends are mutts.

Default Re: Papers???

How will I know if he's really a purebred?

It is illegal in Canada to sell a dog as a purebred without supplying registration papers free. The seller must register and transfer the ownership of the dog to the buyer at no cost. This is protected by the ANIMAL PEDIGREE ACT. If a breeder is willing to sell you a purebred without papers for a lower cost, run...do not walk away! This is not reputable behaviour and it is illegal. What else might the breeder be concealing from you?

It drives me bonkers when I see that and so I totally agree with you Grumpy. It also annoys me when people sell a dog at a higher cost because it is a 'rare' colour. If it isn't accepted by the Canadian Kennel Club as a breed standard colour than it isn't gonna be worth anything more than another dog, same thing for if it is accepted. Not that a show dog is worth more than a person's beloved pet.

To me, if you don't have the papers showing it, then it isn't purebred. A golden retriever and an Irish Setter could have pups that look just like either parent, in otherwords, purebred. Someone could try ad sell those puppies as purebred but they'd never be able to get paper. I wouldn't buy a purebred dog without papers. And if I was going to get any dog without papers, I'd be rescuing it from the HS or somewhere. I would't be buying it from people who just breed for money.

GRUMPY

I've had 4 dogs over the years and the first 3 were mutts,mixed breeds or whatever you care to call them. My last is supposed to be a purebred that I got through a rescue so he has no papers but that is of no importance to me. I can't help but laugh at how ironic it is that I'd get a pure bred for the sole reason that his temperament and personality was almost identical to my last dog which was a mutt.

A local guy wanted to sell me a boxer for the price as a purebred. But with no papers. Says he wasn't allowed to breed the dogs. So I said see ya!! $1200 for a mutt, no way.

I have a question about this...
    I have a Miniature Pinscher that was given to me by my brother in law. I know she's purebred because they showed me the papers but somehow in their travels from the States to here they lost them...Lets say for the heck of it, I decided to breed her. If I sold the pups knowing the are purebreds, what would need to be done? Don't worry though, I don't have any intentions of breeding her, I"m just curious...
    I know it's illegal to sell a dog/pup as purebred without papers. From what I was told is that you can't even use the word purebred when selling unless there are papers. Someone told me that you can put them as unregistered at least the person buying would know that they are pure but would have to register themselves. I don't really know for sure though...

Most Purebreads come with a no-breed contract. So its my understanding that anyone breeding them is breaking the contract, therefore the pups could Not be registered. Correct?
    Attitude is contagious - is your's worth catching?
    The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..
    Make peace with your past, so it wont spoil the present

France. Yeah that's it, we're from France.

I've had two dogs in my life - both purebreds, both with papers. Both had to be put down before their 2nd birthday for behavioural problems. Both attacked small children. One killed another dog. Neither dog was from a breed that was known to be agressive.

With a track record like that, why would I even consider getting a purebred dog?

i know with akc registration that u get 2 different types of registration u get papers just stating that it is a pure breed with limited rights for show and no breeding or you can get a full rights contract to show at anytime and breed anytime.
    i have full rights with my min pin and had to learn all of this when i registered her

GRUMPY

Quote Originally Posted by NoCasa View Post
    I've had two dogs in my life - both purebreds, both with papers. Both had to be put down before their 2nd birthday for behavioural problems. Both attacked small children. One killed another dog. Neither dog was from a breed that was known to be agressive.

With a track record like that, why would I even consider getting a purebred dog?
    and this would never happen if you had gotten mixed breeds?

Quote Originally Posted by NoCasa View Post
    what breeds were those dogs? just curious.

GRUMPY

it doesn't matter if it is a pure breed or a mix breed if the predisposition is there for a dog to be aggressive it will be.

What gets me the most upset is that people who advertise the dog as purebreed dogs and can't even spell the name of the dog and the dog dosn't even come with papers. Or people who have designer dogs that think that because they "register" their dogs with a designer dog registry that they are the same as registering witht he aka or ckc.

http://www.designerbreedregistry.com/mission_statement
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam, which means "Either I will find a way or I will make one."

France. Yeah that's it, we're from France.

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPY View Post
    and this would never happen if you had gotten mixed breeds?
    I won't say never, but less likely. In both cases the problems were traced back to over breeding. I'm sure there are good breeders around, but unfortunately I'm 2 for 2 on bad ones. One dog was a Dalmation and the other was a Kerry Blue Terrier.

GRUMPY

for a while there Dalmatians were the "in" dog to have which in turn causes over breeding. when I was a kid a long long time ago we had one and he was about the nicest dog that you'd want to meet. However when all the greeder sees is money signs that is where the trouble starts.

Glad to see someone else but me saying purebred means with papers, AKC or CKC. Like Dogsrule mention you must supply registration papers if you advertise purebred such n such. It is illegal otherwise.
    Man what is it with people asking $500 or more for a mix (mutt) breed?Why not go to a reputable breeder and one that cares about their dogs and has all kinds of guarantee's than a backyard breeder that does not give a **** about the dog and only wants the money.
    Sorry my rant for the day.

GRUMPY

very true if you are going to spend that kind of money why not deal with a real breeder as you would do that with any other purchase you make.

Unfortunately, a dog is "worth" whatever some idiot is willing to pay. Check out the prices on "labradoodles". Then again, people will still buy their dogs at pet stores, who get their dogs from puppy mills or backyard "breeders"
    Maybe it's just easier to let you know when I'm being serious.

AKC registration means nothing as to the quality of dog or breeder. Puppy mill dogs are registered with them all the time.
    Maybe it's just easier to let you know when I'm being serious.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information