Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What are your thoughts on the flu Shot??

Default What are your thoughts on the flu Shot??

I received a flyer today regarding the two flu shots and it has me thinking. I have never got one before because the idea of someone injecting me with a virus seems just wrong. Apparently there are two shots this year. the usual one and the one for H1N1 flu. I was thinking most of this was media hype, but am now considering getting the shot.. Anyone else feel this way?? Just curious. My son is 13 and if I get the shot , I feel he should too.
    I do remember vividly how sick my mom got after a flu shot and this disturbs me.. hmmmmm
    Should I or should I not.. Opinions wanted please

Default Re: What are your thoughts on the flu Shot??

I have never gotton a flu shot in my life and am rarely sick.
    I know people who get it every season and are sick all winter.

SWRKR 01

I don't get them but am told that as I get older they might be something I should consider as it lessens the impactt of the flu should you get it. That makes sense to me....but I never was one for needles.... LOL

I have never gotten the flu shot, and i have never made my kids get the shot. my mom got it one year and was very sick. We lead a healthy avtive lifestyle and are hardly sick. any vacination you get has part of the virus in it, not just the flu shot.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam, which means "Either I will find a way or I will make one."

I get a flu shot every other year or so. Never fails, every time I get a shot, I get the flu. Could be co-incidence? I don't know. Last year I decided to get the flu shot - never been sicker in my life.
    The best part of waking up is not Folgers in your cup, but knowing that Chuck Norris didn't kill you in your sleep.

I refuse to get the H1N1 shot only because I don't feel it has been tested enough, I feel the government is trying to push it out too fast and that worries me.

Ussually if you "get sick" after the flu shot, you already had the virus, the flu shot to me is no worse than injecting our children with things like measles, mumps and polio(just my opinion), I have had to get the flu shot because of work for the last 10 years and have had no problems, my Mom is also a Cancer survivor and the thought of bringing her a virus is not good, or if she was in the hospital and I could not go see her. My children all get the flu shot also so if something was too happen that Gramma was in the hospital they could go, thay have never had a problem either.

It is a personal choice.
    Whimsical and Determined!

i used to get it every year but i haven't gotten it since i moved here. i haven't been any more or less sick
    "Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really wanna get tough, grow a v****a... Those things take a pounding." -- Betty White..

it scares the crap out of me! i think years back that vacinations were good and honest. but now, i do not trust the pharma.... companies one bit. i dont think things are tested well enough and money is more important than health in my opinion. i have seen people have bad sick reactions and it scares me. though, through my work ive seen lots of folks get the shot with no reaction. my hubby has to get it for work (or not get paid for the duration of an outbreak) and he has had a sore arm and is so so so very much more prone to sickness since he has started getting the shots.

I got the flu shot for the first time for work a couple of years ago and I was really sick from it. My doctor didn't know I have a mild egg allergy and I didn't know it mattered. I was violently ill for about three days and then wound up getting a nasty case of the flu later in the winter. I must not have been vaccinated against that particular strain and it was horrible; it lasted weeks. I told my supervisor and she said I have to get a note or I will have to get the flu shot this year because I am in contact with a lot of people everyday. I will gladly pay for a note for work to avoid it lol.
    "I think people want to look like pirates. It's the right time for it", Cosmo Kramer

when i'd get the flu shot i wouldnt get sick
    if i dont get the flu shot i get some nasty crap
    this yr my flu shot is booked and im booking the H1N1 when it's available

They recommend it for those with a compromised immune system especially and my doctor had insisted I get it.

OK, I won't do it again. I got sick, sick enough that I was down for almost a month right after my flu shot. All the flu symptoms just stretched out over that time, and it took a lot out of me. This isn't as uncommon as some think. I've spoken to people who are in the medical field and they have told me that they see it sometimes. Despite my system, I choose not to have the flu shot and have not had the flu since, but hadn't had it before then either.

I also choose not to have the H1N1 shot because I also feel it has been pushed on us without enough thought/research. It kind of scares me to hear that every year they are trying to develop a vaccine to fit the "new strain" that has been found.

Careful hygiene and common sense helps so much when it comes to protecting yourself from any virus.

Good luck with your decision Babzz, it's a tough one to make and it's really easy to over-think these things.
    "Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do."

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Princess View Post
    I got the flu shot for the first time for work a couple of years ago and I was really sick from it. My doctor didn't know I have a mild egg allergy and I didn't know it mattered. I was violently ill for about three days and then wound up getting a nasty case of the flu later in the winter. I must not have been vaccinated against that particular strain and it was horrible; it lasted weeks. I told my supervisor and she said I have to get a note or I will have to get the flu shot this year because I am in contact with a lot of people everyday. I will gladly pay for a note for work to avoid it lol.

They always ask if you have an egg allergy. If you do I would think they would not give you the shot. I don't think the Dr. would mind giving a note.

Okay I have a question, sorry if this is hijacking it, I am on a corticosteriod for my Crohn's disease and was told by the doctor last night that I have to make sure I get all my vaccinations and shots (ie the flu shot) but when reading the paperwork last night on this new drug I am on, it said to avoid getting any shots or vaccinations, so I am a little confused, any suggestions here?

I am still unsure of what I want to do...
    I do not trust our government and wonder if there is any truth to the media hype regarding the flu that is coming.
    I am leaning towards following my instinct and not getting the shot and hoping this not a mistake on my end for my son and I.

If it was just me ,then it would be easier to deal with. I am making the choice for both of us though. I do not want us to get sick or have the after effects( what ever they may be) of these shots for the swine flu !
    My immune is not so great since my surgery, so really on the fence regarding this...

Any doctors or nurses in the house?? I am hoping for an un bias opinion on this. Is it all media or this flu as bad as what I have heard?? I hate making these decisions!!!
    I have researched on line and from what i have seen there is no clear answer on this

Banned
    Intersection of Hwy. 49 & 61 Clarksdale, Mississippi

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn View Post
    Okay I have a question, sorry if this is hijacking it, I am on a corticosteriod for my Crohn's disease and was told by the doctor last night that I have to make sure I get all my vaccinations and shots (ie the flu shot) but when reading the paperwork last night on this new drug I am on, it said to avoid getting any shots or vaccinations, so I am a little confused, any suggestions here?
    You are intitled to a consultation with your pharmacist, when using more than one prescription drug.
    Maybe just a phone call would do?

I think one of healthiest things that can happen to you, is to fight off the flu.
    It's brutal being that sick, but you are healthier in the long run for it, IMO!
    Which vaccine is used is a guess at best....last time they were wrong, so....

I had asked the pharmacist regarding it and she had no idea whether or not to get the flu shot.

I have gotten the flu shot for the last 15 years, I have never had the flu during outbreak season. As far as the H1, I will be getting that also.
    Work in a nursing home, and see the effects on the elderly.
    No flu shot, no entering the building during an outbreak.

On a personal note, even when it wasen't mandatory, I still got the shot, I had young children and elderly in laws. I came home from work and my work clothes went straight into the washer, and my shoes would be put away.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Gram View Post
    They always ask if you have an egg allergy. If you do I would think they would not give you the shot. I don't think the Dr. would mind giving a note.
    He definitely didn't ask me if I had an allergy to eggs. I saw him yesterday or something and he asked if I was getting another flu shot this year. I said no then asked, in an off-handed way, why he did not ask me if I was allergic to eggs last year. He said that he had looked at my chart and had seen my allergies but eggs were not listed so he didn't think it would be a problem. My chart states that I have no food allergies, just allergies to other things. Turns out I had no idea I was allergic to eggs when I saw him the first time many years ago. He gave me a note to take to work Monday morning because I told him I didn't want to go through that terrible experience ever again!
    "I think people want to look like pirates. It's the right time for it", Cosmo Kramer

I do not have a choice, My little man has asthma real bad and the 2 yrs ago was hospitalized with it, for almost 1 week.. then only 3 weeks later back in again, they told me had I of not gotten the flu shot they could turn me down to be in there with my son 24/7 and only go in on visiting hrs....

I used to get sick after having it.. but I dont anymore.

I am also alergic to neomycin which is in one of the two different compounds made for the flu shot, I have to tell them every yr I need the one with out the neomycin.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information