Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Canadian Vet Prices?

Default Canadian Vet Prices?

I have a female cat that I would like to have spayed and de-clawed asap.
    How much do vets here in Soo Ontario charge for these procedures?
    ** Phenom II 1100T BE @ 4.1 GHz | Asus M3A79-T | Corsair H80 | 8 GB OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2-1066 | Radeon HD7970 |Auzentech X-Fi Prelude | 2 x 640GB Blacks in Raid 0 | Silverstone DA750 | Logitech G51 Surround Sound Speakers | Tritton 5.1 Headhones | 3 x 22" monitors Eyefinity | Tt Element G**

GRUMPY

Default Re: Canadian Vet Prices?

try the phone book and calling the different vets.

I would call around but today is Saturday and they're all CLOSED. Do you have an answer to my question?
    ** Phenom II 1100T BE @ 4.1 GHz | Asus M3A79-T | Corsair H80 | 8 GB OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2-1066 | Radeon HD7970 |Auzentech X-Fi Prelude | 2 x 640GB Blacks in Raid 0 | Silverstone DA750 | Logitech G51 Surround Sound Speakers | Tritton 5.1 Headhones | 3 x 22" monitors Eyefinity | Tt Element G**

They go by weight of the cat, what type of surgery you want them to perform (some use a lazer some use the traditional scalpal) weather or not you want your pet to get pain killers after the surgery. Just some things to ask when you call around. I have never had a cat declawed but my friend just went through this and it was around 400$ for a kitten (female) to be fixed and declawed.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam, which means "Either I will find a way or I will make one."

Quote Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
    I have a female cat that I would like to have spayed and de-clawed asap.
    How much do vets here in Soo Ontario charge for these procedures?
    If you have money to burn see a local vet, if you want to save large make an appointment in Sault Michigan.

What the vets are doing on the Canadian side is considered by most to be legal robbery.
    It's been a hot topic for years now but never seems to change, people just keep going and paying the outrageous prices, so they keep charging them.

I got my cat fixed across the river and it was 120 us. that is with take home pain killers. I have been dealing with a vet across the river for over 5 years now and i have no complaints about the quality of care or service. Check it out.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam, which means "Either I will find a way or I will make one."

Unless something has changed recently, the Animal Health Clinic on Trunk is the only vet in town that will still do declaws on cats.

From what I know the Animal Health Clinic here in the Sault is by far the cheapest. That's who I deal with and can say nothing but wonderful things about the staff... They are just amazing. I have also dealt with the states in the passed and you do save some, and the care is also quite good, so really it all depends on your opinion and your financial situation. I believe when I had my male cat neutered (weighing 8lbs) it was $81US at McCrumbs...

Quote Originally Posted by Muse View Post
    Unless something has changed recently, the Animal Health Clinic on Trunk is the only vet in town that will still do declaws on cats.
    Really! Its about freakn`time vet`s stop declawing. Maybe AHC will get with the time soon too
    I can not praise McCrumbs enough..absolutely AMAZING vet`s!!!!!!
    Adopting one pet will not change the world but, it will change the world for that one pet.

The Canadian vets should all be equipped with masks and guns as standard attire because you can't help but feel like you've been robbed after you pay their hefty bills.

Come out to Alberta....its super pricey here. I just paid $300 for geriatric testing and a check up for my cat.
    When I go home next summer, I'm bringing an arm full of cat's to McCrumb's for dental and blood work. I paid $170 last year and that was with an extraction.
    Adopting one pet will not change the world but, it will change the world for that one pet.

Local veterinarians have earned their reputation for thievery from pet owners. I wanted to get my cat's teeth cleaned. Price $300. PLUS about $40 for the anti-biotics she was to receive for several days in advance. I declined the estimate and my cat still has plaque on her teeth. My other cat developed a UTI in April. $436 for the examination, some tests, and anti-biotics. A few weeks later it flared up again. $136 for the examination and a bottle of tablets. A few weeks later, while I was away for 3 days, it apparently flared up again. When I got home.....it was too late to save him and he died. That's a LOT of money to spend and still a bad outcome. If there was some way for me to get across the river with my remaining cat, I would be over there in a heartbeat to get her teeth done. I know the cost is FAR less than the $300+ that one of the locals quoted.
    Freedom may only be a state of mind, but an RV helps!

Doesn't Animal Assistance bring pet's acoss? As long as you are paying the vet bill they may do it if they are going anyway's. I'd get her teeth done ASAP. You could run into more problem's down the road.
    Last edited by LettuceLady; 09-28-2009 at 11:19 PM.

Personally, I am against declawing. It is very painful for the cat .
    They not only remove the claw, but part of the first digit.

Without claws, even with an indoor cat, the cat loses it's ability to be so agile and it can affect his balance.

You could try those "soft paws" nail coverings, or train the cat to use a scratching post.

I have 5 cats, none of which are declawed, and they don't ruin anything.
    If animals don't go to Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went.~
    Unknown

We've used soft claw's and LOVED them! I dopted 2 cat's that were already declawed and they did have behavioral problem's. My Smudge chewed more thing's that I can count...included a hole in my husband's recliner. My Star is another story
    Definately look into this before getting it done, educate yourslf. There is a reason why declawing is banned in 17 countries.

check out soft paws, the web site is really good.

My friend took my daughter's kitten to the Animal Health Clinic this morning and it did not cost that much at all for shots and flea medication. My friend was told it will cost $115 to get him neutered if we do it when he is six months (he is four months old now) which I think is pretty reasonable. My friend took her two kittens and my daughter's kitten in because they were all flea-ridden (they were outdoor kittens she rescued and the fleas were terrible). To get all of their shots, the necessary medications for fleas and worms, it cost about $200 for all three. I paid $70 for our kitten.

My seven year old cat was de-clawed when we got him five years ago. He has very sensitive paws and I always thought it was due to him being de-clawed. He hates his front paws being touched at all. He also chews wires and purse straps... I wonder if that is why? He is a really good boy but he just LOVES to chew; I had never seen a cat chew so much before! I remember one morning a couple of years ago, I picked up my purse by the strap and the strap broke. He had chewed right through the strap within a few days!
    "One of the consequences of such notions as 'entitlements' is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence".

Thomas Sewell

Anyone thinking of declawing their cat should read this.
    it explains the reasons why vets and others are often refusing to do such a thing.

http://amby.com/cat_site/dc-wyntk.html
    If animals don't go to Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went.~
    Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Amaranth View Post
    My seven year old cat was de-clawed when we got him five years ago. He has very sensitive paws and I always thought it was due to him being de-clawed. He hates his front paws being touched at all. He also chews wires and purse straps... I wonder if that is why? He is a really good boy but he just LOVES to chew; I had never seen a cat chew so much before! I remember one morning a couple of years ago, I picked up my purse by the strap and the strap broke. He had chewed right through the strap within a few days!
    I would say so. Smudge chewed and chewed things too. They know something is missing and I guess their teeth are their next best option.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information