Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: need some assistance

Default need some assistance

having some problems installing my wireless router. i'm not computer saavy so i need some help. please pm me or welcome to call 942-0070

Default Re: need some assistance

unless its a d-link, it will be a pain. we bought one and 3 different people that know their way around a computer tried to install it...nope, aparently it was not compatable with vista...love the d-link, plug it in, follow instruction on screen.
    Whimsical and Determined!

Quote Originally Posted by Luv'inLife View Post
    unless its a d-link, it will be a pain. we bought one and 3 different people that know their way around a computer tried to install it...nope, aparently it was not compatable with vista...love the d-link, plug it in, follow instruction on screen.
    That post has to being the biggest epic failure of a response ever. Or are you working for dlink lmao. Ive used many many many diff manufacterers with all various OS. The problem isnt manufacturer, its user or users.
    i7 970 @ 4.4ghz | Gigabyte x58a UD5 | 6 x 2gb Kingston HyperX 1600mhz| Corasir HX1000w PSU | 2 x 40gb Intel SSD + 1TB WD Green | Zotac GTX 480 | Corsair Obsidian 700D
    EK Supreme | MCP655 | XSPC RX360 | DD Dual 5.25" Resvoir | EK GTX480 Nickle | 3 x Sflex 3000rpm 120 x 38mm |

well I don't know about that, buts its your opinion...how about, no I don't work for D-Link but I do find it more user friendly, in my opinion.

Senior Member The 6th Member Of AC/DC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fudd Rucker View Post
    That post has to being the biggest epic failure of a response ever. Or are you working for dlink lmao. Ive used many many many diff manufacterers with all various OS. The problem isnt manufacturer, its user or users.
    Now Now, no need to be that way. I had a computer a few years ago that with one router would not get a good signal and with the other I would get a good signal yet the connection was slow. I even referred to a computer expert and he advised me to get another brand and it has worked with every single computer since, so ya sometimes it does have to do with the manufacturer...

unless your using outright incompatible hardware, there should be zero reason for one particular router to work over another for any reason unless your paying higher for a better featureset. But to give such ridiculous misinformation leads to problems. No router is incompatible with an OS ever thats just stupid. The problem - usually the card being used to connect to said router isnt installed right or configured right,The router the same applies, either you wired it wrong or didnt config it right.Boils down to user issue.
    i7 970 @ 4.4ghz | Gigabyte x58a UD5 | 6 x 2gb Kingston HyperX 1600mhz| Corasir HX1000w PSU | 2 x 40gb Intel SSD + 1TB WD Green | Zotac GTX 480 | Corsair Obsidian 700D
    EK Supreme | MCP655 | XSPC RX360 | DD Dual 5.25" Resvoir | EK GTX480 Nickle | 3 x Sflex 3000rpm 120 x 38mm |

actually it boils down too a Shaw Tech, Futureshop Tech, and a very nice local Tech, that is well known and respected...it would not install and the conflict was APPARENTLY with Vista...I'm not a Tech and was not one of the people who tried to install it!
    Last edited by Luv'inLife; 10-10-2009 at 06:56 PM.

If there was an issue with a certain OS it is very likely that there was no updated driver for the wi-fi card/USB stick in the PC. I have an old wireless USB dongle without a proper driver for Vista but works fine on XP. It's the manufacturer only supporting the product so long...

But yes I agree Linksys, D-Link and Airlink to be fully friendly..

A router is OS and device independent. In other words, it does not matter if you are using it to hookup a PS3, an Xbox 360, a PC or a MAC or a printer or a tv.
    As long as the device you are trying to hookup is compatible with the wireless protocol used by the router it will work.

I would also like to point out you do not need to "install" it. You only need to configure it, which is done using a web browser interface compatible with any web browser out there.
    Alienware R10 3700X RTX 3080, Samsung 2443BW, Benq SW2700PT

Did anyone bother to check to see if the router and computer are set to use the same channel?
    If you can give us the brand and model of the router, we can likely take you through it pretty quickly.
    Quando omni flunkus moritati.

Shaw Tech ---- FAIL
    Futureshop Tech ---- EPIC, EPIC FAIL
    and a very nice local Tech ---- Obviously not such a good tech if they couldnt get it working

I'm thinking Luv'inLife had a problem with a wireless card that didn't have Vista drivers. Makes no sense otherwise.

ranger lake, did you get it set up yet?

if someone would pm me i`d welcome them to come to my home to help me out with this problem, i`m needing some help asap....thx

no need to worry about me, I returned the othe for a d-link, and away I went, so no matter the explanation, a d-link is the one for me/my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by NetDawg View Post
    Shaw Tech ---- FAIL
    Futureshop Tech ---- EPIC, EPIC FAIL
    and a very nice local Tech ---- Obviously not such a good tech if they couldnt get it working
    Good one!!!!!!!!!!!

Most routers made for home use are absolute crap....manufacturers put sub-standard parts in them.......For home use I do use Linksys routers that support 3rd party firmware such as dd-wrt...at least that firmware actually makes use of the crap hardware......

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information