Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: lcd tv

GRUMPY

Question lcd tv

what would you recommend to but for around a 32 inch and up?

Default Re: lcd tv

don't just go by the specs... go in and actually look at the tv, there are visible differences in most tv pictures, choose what ones look the best, go online, compare and read reviews. Amazon is a great place to read reviews, since there are usually lots and they are in depth. If going to a place that sells on commission don't let them push you around. Go in on a mission and stand your ground. Don't bother with buying the expensive cables they will offer you.. they are usually marked up around 300%. For your cables, if you want any, go to www.monoprice.com

We bought a samsung series 6, 40" television earlier in the year since our older tv died. We couldn't be happy with the picture quality while watching HD and SD programming. Keep in mind though that if you don't already have an HD box from Shaw (if that's who you're with) you may want to factor in the extra cost of upgrading to an HD capable box, or an even nicer HDPVR.

GRUMPY

You are an idiot (j/k) just as a lot of us are because I went to Future Shop to see what they had. The says man asked what I was looking for so I told him something from 32 to 40 inches but it had to have an excellent picture to which he replied that it didn't make a difference what brand I bought as they were all the same and the only thing that affected the picture quality was if you were with Bell or Shaw and then he mentioned that I'd be much better off with a digital box that they had on special for $99 however they didn't come with that good of a set of cables but for around $50 I could buy a great set. I then started to check out other sets and asked about the power consumption of the various sets and he then informed me that plasmas were the worst for power consumption then lcds but within each type they were all the same. That is when I left as I had reached my threshold of BS. Now that I have exposed myself to all that sleaze I am ready to go out and shop. I guess sadly that there are those who will swallow that crap. Thanks for the info though, most of the time I go with which looks best as I don't care for whys and how comes just the end product.

France. Yeah that's it, we're from France.

Hey Grump. Call me an idiot and I'll slap you!

But till you do - I bought a 32" TV this year. Did lots of research on it, including heading up to Future Shop to check them out. I came up with a Sharp Aquos. I also felt that the Samsungs and Sony Bravias were good. To a great extent, the salesman was right. I believe there's only two manufacturers for the actual LCD panels themselves unless that's changed.

I saw the Aquos side by side with all the other brands and the picture looked just a tad sharper. I got mine at Sears, but that's because it was on sale there at the time I made my decision.

Hope it helps.

hey grumps sounds like they used all the tactics on you, haha. glad you didn't fall for it. especially the cables..

GRUMPY

its like you said do the research just to find out if there are some brands to avoid then just go with your own preferences. I bet if you line up 5 tvs and ask five people to pick the best one it would be evenly split amongst them.

I have a Samsung and really like it. I was told if the LCD's brand starts with an S, it is usually good. I think the LG's are good too. My moms 37 inch LG cost the same as most 32 inch ones.
    When you look at them make sure you check out the picture when you are at an angle to the side. Some of the screens, are just a foggy haze unless you are facing them dead on.

France. Yeah that's it, we're from France.

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPY View Post
    its like you said do the research just to find out if there are some brands to avoid then just go with your own preferences. I bet if you line up 5 tvs and ask five people to pick the best one it would be evenly split amongst them.
    Yup - you're absolutely right. As a practical test just go into future shop and tell the guys you don't need help thanks. Go to where the 32" TV's are and you can compare them side by side. Best brands are going to be Sony, Sharp, Samsung, Panasonic and Toshiba. Now, check who will repair them. I know for a fact that Toshibas are repaired in town (Soo Video). Panasonics too (Muntz). Not sure about the rest of them. That'd say something important to me. But what says more is, given the side by side comparison, which one do you like the best? That's the one to go with! Forget all the stats and specs - just make sure all the TV's you check out are set to their best settings and decide from there.

i believe samsung is repaired by mtv sales and service on wellington.

the salesman was right on one thing, Plasma are bigger energy hogs than LCD'S and the new LED ones are the best, but not any worse that the Tube TV that everyone owns.

GRUMPY

Toshibas are fixed at Muntz also.

Basically it comes down to what type of viewing you are going to do. Are you watching sports... if yes then plasma or a high end 240Hz is best. Are you watching in a dark room if yes plasma again is best, if its a bright room, then lcd is the better. Another thing too is if you are sitting far away you may be able to get away with a 720P tv instead of a 1080P and save some money, if you are close or don't really care about a few extra $ then go the 1080P. Basically you won't be able to tell the difference from say about 12 feet back.

Another thing about the digital boxes to consider is Shaw has less than about 30 HD channels in the Sault. I think about 15 or 20 actual channels and the rest are things like ppv and sports... no where near the 50 their tv ad's claim. On top of this if you want any channels other than say the abc, fox... type channels its about another $10 on top of your bill for channels you already get in SD.
    Shaw direct on the other hand does a way better job, giving you access to the HD channels when you purchase the SD channels. They are broadcast in 1080I I believe, but I hear a lot of bad stuff about their HD boxes, and apparently there is a firmware update coming out to fix that, and new boxes in the spring.
    Bell on the other hand only has 720P currently, and everyone I have heard from says sports looks way better on Shaw than bell, but everything else looks fine... But then again bell seems to have the better boxes...

On the cable side, yes don't get suckered into the expensive ones because i have heard from employees what they pay for those monster cables at future shop and its quite a bit more than 50% off for them, so that tells you what the markup is. I have bought a lot of HDMI cables from monoprice and they work well. I usually spend the extra couple of $ and get the higher end cables with thicker wire, like say 22 or 24AWG instead of the smaller 28AWG. Also make sure you get at least 1.3b as that's the latest right now, but 1.4 will be coming soon.

If you want some tv reviews check out http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,2806,1638887,00.asp and http://revision3.com/hdnation
    Last edited by Shawn; 10-26-2009 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Changed hdmi to 1.3b instead of 1.3a

In my living room I have a 42" Samsung plasma tv. In my bedroom I have a 32" LG lcd.

Personally, I prefer the picture on the plasma as it is brighter, and sharper.

Either way, make sure to stick with the big name companies as previously mentioned. Don't fall for the cheap prices of the store brand crap.

I also purchase my cables from monoprice.com, the choice is easy to see there. Under $10 shipping included for a 6 foot hdmi cable, versus $50+ in stores.

I went with a buddy of mine to help him choose a 42" tv a couple weeks ago. I knew what the sales guy would do with the hdmi cable pitch, so I brough one with me that I paid a total of $4, shipping included for. The sales guys last words of the sale were " oh yes, if you want to connect your PS3 to the tv, you will want one of these hdmi cables, they are $69."

That's when I said it was ok, I brought one for him that cost me $4.00 shipping included. The sales guy jaw dropped to the floor.

I'm surprised no-body mentioned the refresh rate. Try to look for something that has a 5ms (mili-second) or better refresh rate. 5 ms is still the industry standard now, but the top of the line telvisions will have a 3 ms. You will still find a lot of less expensive telvisions that have 6 ms. The cheapies or non-brand name televisions often have 7 or even 8 ms.

With a 5ms, most motion on your picture should appear fairly fluid. If you are watching a an extremely fast action, you may, in extremely rare instances, notice some digitizing, even with a 5 ms.

6 ms to 8ms televisions are terrible for watching fast moving video.

Ive got a 46" LG plasma that i love dearly.The picture on it is top notch and when bluray is run on it you get the feeling that your watching movies in front of a live stage of actors. I have also seen a toshiba 42" LCD with just as good of a picture. Guess the option would be price and preferance.
    i7 970 @ 4.4ghz | Gigabyte x58a UD5 | 6 x 2gb Kingston HyperX 1600mhz| Corasir HX1000w PSU | 2 x 40gb Intel SSD + 1TB WD Green | Zotac GTX 480 | Corsair Obsidian 700D
    EK Supreme | MCP655 | XSPC RX360 | DD Dual 5.25" Resvoir | EK GTX480 Nickle | 3 x Sflex 3000rpm 120 x 38mm |

I bought an Insignia 32" LCD back in May and I have Shaw HD. No complaints here! The picture is great. It's our main TV in the living room but we don't sit too far away from it either. They only advertise that it'll handle 720p but it will do 1080i also. Why they don't mention that is beyond me. The TV was only $500 plus taxes. Great value in my opinion.
    ** Phenom II 1100T BE @ 4.1 GHz | Asus M3A79-T | Corsair H80 | 8 GB OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2-1066 | Radeon HD7970 |Auzentech X-Fi Prelude | 2 x 640GB Blacks in Raid 0 | Silverstone DA750 | Logitech G51 Surround Sound Speakers | Tritton 5.1 Headhones | 3 x 22" monitors Eyefinity | Tt Element G**

Quote Originally Posted by NoCasa View Post
    Yup - you're absolutely right. As a practical test just go into future shop and tell the guys you don't need help thanks. Go to where the 32" TV's are and you can compare them side by side. Best brands are going to be Sony, Sharp, Samsung, Panasonic and Toshiba. Now, check who will repair them. I know for a fact that Toshibas are repaired in town (Soo Video). Panasonics too (Muntz). Not sure about the rest of them. That'd say something important to me. But what says more is, given the side by side comparison, which one do you like the best? That's the one to go with! Forget all the stats and specs - just make sure all the TV's you check out are set to their best settings and decide from there.
    To add to the list Sharp is repaired by John's TV repair....if it is worth repairing flat screen TVs....most of the time it makes more sense to buy a new TV....

Quote Originally Posted by NetDawg View Post
    In my living room I have a 42" Samsung plasma tv. In my bedroom I have a 32" LG lcd.

Personally, I prefer the picture on the plasma as it is brighter, and sharper.

Either way, make sure to stick with the big name companies as previously mentioned. Don't fall for the cheap prices of the store brand crap.

I also purchase my cables from monoprice.com, the choice is easy to see there. Under $10 shipping included for a 6 foot hdmi cable, versus $50+ in stores.

I went with a buddy of mine to help him choose a 42" tv a couple weeks ago. I knew what the sales guy would do with the hdmi cable pitch, so I brough one with me that I paid a total of $4, shipping included for. The sales guys last words of the sale were " oh yes, if you want to connect your PS3 to the tv, you will want one of these hdmi cables, they are $69."

That's when I said it was ok, I brought one for him that cost me $4.00 shipping included. The sales guy jaw dropped to the floor.
    I am surprised the sales guy didn't say "yea but those $4 cables won't last as long as the $69 cables"....I don't know how many arguements I got into with Futurshop staff in The home theatre section pushing $150 nitrogen filled gold plated super dupper Monster cables with a life time warranty saying you absolutely need these cable for HD experience....I usually end up walking away saying my $4 HDMI cable from monoprice works just as well (or better)......yea...they sure try to make you drink the kool-aid in those box stores....and why not...the mark up on Monster cables is crazy......The best was a 20 foot Monster Cat5 patch cable for $75.......maybe your packets travel faster down that patch cable??......LOLO...more kool-aid anyone??

GRUMPY

I love it when they try to tell you that you are mistaken and that you really need these cables.

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPY View Post
    I love it when they try to tell you that you are mistaken and that you really need these cables.
    That's because they don't understand what a digital signal is and how it works... now if it was analog on the other hand I would be buying those $100 cables... They are just told what to say and never really research what they are selling because they know if they follow company training they will make money.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2008/0...king_the_deal/

Here is the video from market place http://www.cbc.ca/mrl3/8752/marketpl...g_the_deal.wmv

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information