Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: lcd tv

Default Re: lcd tv

I was there today and saw a 499$ set of monster cables. I almost was going to ask one of the sales guys if these were made with gold cores instead of copper...

Something you should also check with any type of tv is the viewing angle. Stand in front of it, then walk away to one side while you keep watching the picture. You will notice the colors will start to shift and edges get blurry.

I also noticed certain types have more noise in the picture than others. It's not always the most expensive one that looks the best either.
    i5 2500K at 4.9 Ghz, H100, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition, 2 x 8GB Hyper X Fury, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Asus PB278Q 2560x1440

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPY View Post
    You are an idiot (j/k) just as a lot of us are because I went to Future Shop to see what they had. The says man asked what I was looking for so I told him something from 32 to 40 inches but it had to have an excellent picture to which he replied that it didn't make a difference what brand I bought as they were all the same and the only thing that affected the picture quality was if you were with Bell or Shaw and then he mentioned that I'd be much better off with a digital box that they had on special for $99 however they didn't come with that good of a set of cables but for around $50 I could buy a great set. I then started to check out other sets and asked about the power consumption of the various sets and he then informed me that plasmas were the worst for power consumption then lcds but within each type they were all the same. That is when I left as I had reached my threshold of BS. Now that I have exposed myself to all that sleaze I am ready to go out and shop. I guess sadly that there are those who will swallow that crap. Thanks for the info though, most of the time I go with which looks best as I don't care for whys and how comes just the end product.
    That man was an idiot. Samsung are leading the pack right now. I'm a sony guy and I have to admit Samsung is much better this year. LED is you best picture but $$$$$$$$$

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0121233&catid=

This tv is amazing, my Gram got the 37" model and the shows on her HD box look brilliant

Banned

I love it when they try to tell you that you are mistaken and that you really need these cables.
    cables do matter its like having a fast car with cheap plugs

i beg to differ, my 20 dollar HDMI cable, and my 15 dollar optical cable produce identical results to those of my idiot friend who spend 135 on an hdmi cable and 90 on an optical cable. Now there are a lot of cheap ones that use very brittle and thin copper lines. But to say that the high end cables are better just because of a name and price is a bold statement.
    i7 970 @ 4.4ghz | Gigabyte x58a UD5 | 6 x 2gb Kingston HyperX 1600mhz| Corasir HX1000w PSU | 2 x 40gb Intel SSD + 1TB WD Green | Zotac GTX 480 | Corsair Obsidian 700D
    EK Supreme | MCP655 | XSPC RX360 | DD Dual 5.25" Resvoir | EK GTX480 Nickle | 3 x Sflex 3000rpm 120 x 38mm |

Quote Originally Posted by TheManInBlack View Post
    haha...where are your sources to back that up? futureshop sales associate?

GRUMPY

links, links, show me the links.

I know its what you told your customers but too bad you never looked into it yourself.

Banned

links, links, show me the links.

I know its what you told your customers but too bad you never looked into it yourself.
    We had it set up in the store showing. We had the tv's on picture in picture. One hooked up with a 10 bucks cable the other with a monster. same dvd player for both sides and there was a noticable difference. It's just like speaker cable. Hook one side up with a 18g and the other with an 8 guage you will hear a difference. Any expert website you go too that doesn't have a vested interest in selling will tell you the same thing.

What you have to take into consideration is the source. if your running an antenna the cables not going to matter cause the amount of signal is weak and the cheap cord can handle the traffic. But you have an HD source there is alot more information traveling through the cord. think of it like a road, a four lane street can handle alot more traffic than a 2 lane road.

Banned

What you have to make sure of though when you buy a cable is that you getting what you are paying for. I buy all my cable from this company

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/index.htm?source=overture

very inexpensive and they make you cable to order

Bigger wire is not always better.
    The skin effect, which increases the resistance and signal loss increases when the frequency increases. For signal wiring small wire consisting of many strands is the best way to go. The higher the frequency the bigger the skin effect.

Next time ask them if they use Litz braided cable. I am assured they will not have a clue what it is.
    i5 2500K at 4.9 Ghz, H100, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition, 2 x 8GB Hyper X Fury, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Asus PB278Q 2560x1440

We had it set up in the store showing. We had the tv's on picture in picture. One hooked up with a 10 bucks cable the other with a monster. same dvd player for both sides and there was a noticable difference. It's just like speaker cable. Hook one side up with a 18g and the other with an 8 guage you will hear a difference. Any expert website you go too that doesn't have a vested interest in selling will tell you the same thing.

What you have to take into consideration is the source. if your running an antenna the cables not going to matter cause the amount of signal is weak and the cheap cord can handle the traffic. But you have an HD source there is alot more information traveling through the cord. think of it like a road, a four lane street can handle alot more traffic than a 2 lane road.
    That sounds like futureshop BS to me... If the source is analog I would have to say you are correct, better cable matters... Digital is nothing more than 1 and 0's... it either works or it doesn't. Colours will not be distorted with a digital signal... either you get a picture or you don't.

In your "test" you admit to using a dvd player, which has analog outputs I am assuming (no HDMI) which would be why you saw a difference. Put 2 digital sources to the test and you won't see any difference. Those monster cable booths you see setup sometimes do this to deceive customers... they use hdmi for their cable which is digital... and then use an analog cable for the competitors cable which is why you see a difference.

Now when you talk about a 2 lane vs 4 lane... I will agree you have to size your cable correctly... you are not going to use a 30 gauge wire for something that requires a 20 gauge wire... but as long as you use the minimum size recommended by the manufacture you should not have a problem with a digital signal. I myself usually use a couple of gauge bigger when buying longer cables to help with any interference issues.

I am wondering why Monster does not sell 10/100/1000 network cables.
    I mean, it would be so much faster with the Monster version!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    That sounds like futureshop BS to me... If the source is analog I would have to say you are correct, better cable matters... Digital is nothing more than 1 and 0's... it either works or it doesn't. Colours will not be distorted with a digital signal... either you get a picture or you don't.

In your "test" you admit to using a dvd player, which has analog outputs I am assuming (no HDMI) which would be why you saw a difference. Put 2 digital sources to the test and you won't see any difference. Those monster cable booths you see setup sometimes do this to deceive customers... they use hdmi for their cable which is digital... and then use an analog cable for the competitors cable which is why you see a difference.

Now when you talk about a 2 lane vs 4 lane... I will agree you have to size your cable correctly... you are not going to use a 30 gauge wire for something that requires a 20 gauge wire... but as long as you use the minimum size recommended by the manufacture you should not have a problem with a digital signal. I myself usually use a couple of gauge bigger when buying longer cables to help with any interference issues.

LOL I'll stick with my bluejeans cables. You can keep buying your cables at zellers.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/buying-...cables-matter/

LOL I'll stick with my bluejeans cables. You can keep buying your cables at zellers.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/buying-...cables-matter/
    I never said bluejeans cables were bad, and no I don't buy from zellers, but the site you posted backs up most of what I said if you read the site you posted carefully.

He confirms what I said about the cable quality helping out with analog sources, they confirm the fact that there is a difference when comparing a digital to analog signal... Hell they even confirmed where I was saying a higher gauge when running longer distances to keep from getting interference...

The one thing that he does not explain is that with a digital signal its all 1's and 0's, its not like analog where if the wave gets distorted then you loose sound or miss out on things like he describes. Digital with either recognize the wave as a 1 or a 0... If you are loosing information then yes you will loose picture, but you will not just distort the colours or quality of the picture simply do to the quality of the cable. The reds, blues and greens will look the same as the source material on the destination with a digital signal, it does not matter if its a $20 cable or a $200 cable provided you are using the correct gauge recommended by the manufacture. External factors may play into it like interference, so if you want to keep from loosing signal then get a better shielded cable... but your colours are not going to look any better, nor will the picture just by buying a more expensive cable on a digital connection.

Banned

The difference between high-quality and midrange video cables can be a bit harder to discern. Using lower-quality cables can result in more video noise and edge damage, detail and color loss, and a general lack of definition.

that quote from the article says it all

It's no different then a network cable. 1 and 0, they either get there or they don't. I don't use high quality cables for my network connection and my internet has no noise and edge damage, detail and color loss, and a general lack of definition.

GRUMPY

interesting reading but I doubt it or anything else will change people's views on this.

http://consumerist.com/353938/monste...off-80-markups
    http://consumerist.com/358006/monste...monster-ripoff
    Last edited by GRUMPY; 11-09-2009 at 11:26 AM.

Banned

I know Grumpy. the sky's always blue unless your colour blind

Banned

interesting reading but I doubt it or anything else will change people's views on this.

http://consumerist.com/353938/monste...off-80-markups
    http://consumerist.com/358006/monste...monster-ripoff
    Yeah definatly stay away from monster cable they are a ripoff. The monsters they sell for 90 bucks are worth about 20

GRUMPY

I know Grumpy. the sky's always blue unless your colour blind
    or like some too stupid to open their eyes

Banned

or like some too stupid to open their eyes
    I'll tell you I wont spend 100 bucks on a video cable but I wont stick a 20 buck cable on my 2000 buck tv. I've got alot of my cables from EBAY too. The speaker cable I have on my 2 channel audio set up were $500 retail and I got them for $90 and they are nice pure copper 6 guage

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information