Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question for those who own a Ford Ranger. Please read !!

Arrow Question for those who own a Ford Ranger. Please read !!

I have just purchased a 2009 Ford Ranger FX4. It has the 4.0 V6 in it and the gas mileage is just horrible. To a 19 gallon tank i am getting 400 kilometers or 248 miles at its best and that works out to 13 Miles per gallon, and again this is at its best. I took a trip to Sudbury early this week and used the cruise control set to 100 KM/H and got 535 kilometers or 332 miles to the 19 gallon tank and this works out to 17.5 miles to the gallon. What I want to know is this normal ?? What are others with the same truck getting ?? The truck was advertised as getting 18 in town and 25 miles per gallon on the high way. There is a huge difference in what I am getting to what ford say's the truck gets. I have questioned the dealer ship and basically was told if the check engine light is not on everything is ok and it will get better once it past the 20 000 KM mark. I can't see getting to 20 000 km making that big of a difference. Please share if you have any info.

Thank You
    Last edited by gtman2000; 10-21-2009 at 03:44 PM.

Default Re: Question for those who own a Ford Ranger. Please read !!

http://www.edmunds.com/ford/ranger/2...merreview.html

You're welcome! And yes it will improve as the motor breaks in.
    It's time to pay

we have n 06 ford ranger at work with the 3.0l.. it gets about the same mileage as you stated

I have to wonder just how one determines how far a vehicle will go on a tank of gas.

You'd have to run out.
    Religion doesn't save you, change you. heal you or set you free. Jesus does.

"if you could lose your salvation, you would!" John Macarthur

I promise to always post sober.

Exactly beary. I'm betting if the person was to divide the miles by the amount of gas pumped in (as opposed to the fuel tank capacity) they would find an instant improvement in mpg!
    It's time to pay

Quote Originally Posted by Soundbear View Post
    I have to wonder just how one determines how far a vehicle will go on a tank of gas.

You'd have to run out.

that I did with the ranger from work, it was 451.3km or around that

all city driving km's with different people driving.. some take off fast

AH yes......a nother satisfied customer (not) with gas mileage from a ranger....

I have owned a 4.0 92 4x4 ranger for about 6 years now....ALWAYS had gas mileage problems....the 4.0 is a great engine, powerful and a good workhorse, but it will drink gas more then you would imagine, all because ford put the 4.10 gears in it...I would never give up my ranger because I love it that much, but if I had to get a daily driver the F150 is just the same on gas and you get that much more truck....

but ya, once an engine breaks in, the gas mileage will get better good luck with your awesome truck

I don't own a ranger but I do know that the driver has alot to do with the gas mileage. On my car if it is strictly me driving it then I get around 300 km and that is with 1/4 of a tank left. I have a 25 gallon tank. If my s/o drives the car he gets around 450 km to 3/4 of a tank. I get around 600 highway with the cruise set. I always fill up at 1/4 of a tank left. Don't let it get any lower then that.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam, which means "Either I will find a way or I will make one."

gtman,

I have an '09 4.0 V6 Ranger with 3500 kms on the clock and am averaging 14.5 miles per US gallon [16.2L/100kms] in town. That's an average from 7 fill ups. I let it get down to the low fuel light each time (~60 liters to fill). I'm trying not to drive with a heavy foot.

It's a thirsty engine for sure. You'd think it'd get better mileage. Sheesh! My 5.0 Mustang, with all sorts of engine mods and a pro tune, used to get 12-14 miles per gallon, although I could easily make it get less [read: couldn't pour it on the ground faster]. I had to tell myself it was not miles per gallon, but SMILES per gallon. No such justification with a plain truck.

How are you calculating you mileage? Are you estimating using tank size or using the actual amount you pump?

I own an 05 Ranger.
    Bought it in SSM prior to moving out here & pulled out an old, heavy 12 foot trailer to boot.
    Not pleased with the gas mileage as well but no other problems except the inertia switch.
    It is not a safety feature when you consider everything shutting down & you're on Hwy 2 to Calgary at 120 km/h.
    Cut out the failing inertia switch & joined the wires.
    If I want, I could put a toggle in there & use it an anti-theft device by shutting off the electric fuel pump.
    How Bout Them Cowgirls?

Quote Originally Posted by wildswing View Post
    My 5.0 Mustang, with all sorts of engine mods and a pro tune, used to get 12-14 miles per gallon, although I could easily make it get less [read: couldn't pour it on the ground faster]. I had to tell myself it was not miles per gallon, but SMILES per gallon.

told ya you shouldn't have sold it lol

but maybe I just might let you drive mine buddy :P

Quote Originally Posted by Timbit View Post
    told ya you shouldn't have sold it lol
    Ha Ha! Ya, but my insurance company didn't give me much of a choice. New owner's already had the car out on a track. He's driving it like it was meant to be driven!

It works like that on the other Mid size brands as well, such as the Dodge Dakota and chevy Colorado not much better gas milage then a Full size RAM or Silverado.

The whole idea of the mid size truck is it can do a fair amount of work such as towing and hauling yet not be a gas guzzies when just running daily around town,but it does not seem to work out like that.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information