Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: H1n1

Angry H1n1

Okay, so my son has been sick since oct 10, it started with a sore throat, cramping in his stomach, cough. I take him to see his Dr 4 days later who listens to his chest, asks him a few questions, and says he has a virus. Not much we can do, go home. He stays home from school because he is coughing so much and says his throat feels like it is on fire. I get my son all kinds of throat lozenges and halls for the cough, nothing is working, he's still hacking up a lung and his throat is still on fire. He is now at the point he can't get any rest cause he's coughing so much it's with every breath. He starts taking Buckleys, and we all know what that tastes like, but it's still giving him any relief from the cough. I head back to his Dr on the 22nd, Dr listens to his chest, says it's pretty clear and gives him a narcotic cough medicine. He takes it, and still no relief, what kind of a virus is this. I ask the Dr if he has Swine flu and the response is, I think so, but there was no blood work done or swab taken to verify it. So, we go home and on Friday the 23rd he spikes a fever of 103.0 -104.0 I call the Dr again and tell of the fever and ask for something as this kid can't sleep cause of the cough. Dr prescribes Zithromax. My son's coughing has been reduced significantly and he can now get a decent nites sleep. His fever is now a low grade 99.0 - 100.0 . Tell me people, what is your take on this whole H1N1, do you think the Dr should have taken blood work to confirm H1N1 or is the health system too cheap to do the test. there fore people not getting the help they may need or that the health system does not want us to know how many people ACTUALLY have the H1N1?
    t

Default Re: H1n1

they probably figure that doing a blood test isn't going to make a differance so why waste money on it? sounds like what we've had here for the last couple weeks. everyone is better now except me and the baby. H1N1 I'm sure has been here since the outbreak started, since everyone coming back from the resorts in mexico was exposed to it and then they catch their direct flight back to sault ste marie to infect us all.

your son probably has strep throat though. do a quick google search. Zithromax is used to treat strep throat and other bacterial infections. h1n1 is a virus so i don't think that medication would work on it all that well.
    "Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really wanna get tough, grow a v****a... Those things take a pounding." -- Betty White..

If he even thought it might be the H1N1 he should have ordered the bloodwork, IMO.

But on the other side of the coin he's probably seeing many many cases everyday where people are coming in with the same symptoms and demanding antibiotics for their kids as well. Schools attendance rates are extremely low lately as people have clued into the fact that if your kid is sick keep them home.

If it was my child I'd too be frustrated watching and listening to them suffer with this nasty virus. Too bad he couldn't have gotten the better antibiotic first off and avoided suffering so long.

Scary part is that I don't think we've seen the worst of this yet.
    ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸❤¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸❤¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪♪♫•*¨*•. ¸¸❤¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

They won't test specifically for pH1N1 likely because it is the only flu really going around. You can figure he has it. Watch for the waves of exhaustion. I'm online buds with a number of people in Canada and the US who have come down with it since mid-August, and the cough, secondary lung infections (ie. pneumonia), and the exhaustion are the worst parts. You can figure it will be a good while before he's back to 100%.

Incidentally, there are two good herbals you could have on hand for illness in your house. Elderberry extract (berry juice) is really good for slowing the replication of the virus, and allows the body to get a slow handle on it, instead of the immune system going hog wild...it's the immune system in overdrive that causes the fevers, aches, pains, etc. Oil of Oregano, while icky tasting (not any worse than Buckley's cough syrup), is excellent for bacterial infections (ie. Strep throat). It is REAL oregano, not what is sold in the grocery stores as oregano. We've lived by these two herbal aids for about 6 winters now, and boy, is the illness time and suffering reduced dramatically. My 14 year old has been suffering the sore throat for about 24 hours, so she's on the oil of oregano, I suspect strep, since there are no other symptoms, and apparently it's going around.

Another I haven't tried, but have heard of kids that recently/currently have the flu are having good success with is mullein for coughing. If interested, google it, I have never used it.

These things are nice and handy to have in a medicine cabinet, just like you would Tylenol or ibuprofen. That way these can be tried before having to go to the doc. We don't go to the doc anymore for these kinds of things after using them.

Hope your son gets over it all very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by XZAVIA View Post
    If he even thought it might be the H1N1 he should have ordered the bloodwork, IMO.

But on the other side of the coin he's probably seeing many many cases everyday where people are coming in with the same symptoms and demanding antibiotics for their kids as well. Schools attendance rates are extremely low lately as people have clued into the fact that if your kid is sick keep them home.

If it was my child I'd too be frustrated watching and listening to them suffer with this nasty virus. Too bad he couldn't have gotten the better antibiotic first off and avoided suffering so long.

Scary part is that I don't think we've seen the worst of this yet.
    Why? So he can sit in the lab waiting room and infect 20 or 30 more people? Confirming that it is H1N1 will not change the treatment of recovery. A virus cannot be treated with antibiotics. Antibiotics are for bacterial infections. If antibiotics helped, he probably had strep throat (which is running rampant right now, too).
    “Teachers are expected to reach unattainable goals with inadequate tools. The miracle is that at times they accomplish this impossible task.”
    Haim Ginott

Strep throat doesn't cause a persistant cough. Antibiotics are often needed after coming down with a virus, as bacteria floating around takes the opportunity of a weakened immune system (fighting the virus), thereby causing a secondary infection...this time bacterial. That's why some develop pneumonia after getting the flu.

IMHO

If you ALL get the h1n1 shot...I won't have to. Many i talk to are not taking the chance on this rapidly produced shot. Gov has to use what they orederd from the chemical companies..so thus the big push.

Quote Originally Posted by puppypower View Post
    Okay, so my son has been sick since oct 10, it started with a sore throat, cramping in his stomach, cough. I take him to see his Dr 4 days later who listens to his chest, asks him a few questions, and says he has a virus. Not much we can do, go home. He stays home from school because he is coughing so much and says his throat feels like it is on fire. I get my son all kinds of throat lozenges and halls for the cough, nothing is working, he's still hacking up a lung and his throat is still on fire. He is now at the point he can't get any rest cause he's coughing so much it's with every breath. He starts taking Buckleys, and we all know what that tastes like, but it's still giving him any relief from the cough. I head back to his Dr on the 22nd, Dr listens to his chest, says it's pretty clear and gives him a narcotic cough medicine. He takes it, and still no relief, what kind of a virus is this. I ask the Dr if he has Swine flu and the response is, I think so, but there was no blood work done or swab taken to verify it. So, we go home and on Friday the 23rd he spikes a fever of 103.0 -104.0 I call the Dr again and tell of the fever and ask for something as this kid can't sleep cause of the cough. Dr prescribes Zithromax. My son's coughing has been reduced significantly and he can now get a decent nites sleep. His fever is now a low grade 99.0 - 100.0 . Tell me people, what is your take on this whole H1N1, do you think the Dr should have taken blood work to confirm H1N1 or is the health system too cheap to do the test. there fore people not getting the help they may need or that the health system does not want us to know how many people ACTUALLY have the H1N1?
    t
    The correct test for H1N1 flu and seasonal flu is a nasopharyngeal swab. This is a swab that goes up the nose and into the back of the throat. Saliva is not an accurate test, and a blood test is not considered the "gold standard" in testing either. Once swabbed your sample will go to the lab where it will be processed to see if it is positive for Influenza A. If your sample is positive for Influenza A, it will then go on to be tested for H1N1 swine flu. Keep in mind that seasonal flu is beginning to circulate, and there are many subtypes of seasonal flu as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 7UP View Post
    If you ALL get the h1n1 shot...I won't have to. Many i talk to are not taking the chance on this rapidly produced shot. Gov has to use what they orederd from the chemical companies..so thus the big push.
    they said on the news that it's made the exact same way as the regular flu shot.
    "Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really wanna get tough, grow a v****a... Those things take a pounding." -- Betty White..

well my hubby's been sick...doc says go to hospital hospital says go to docs....argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! High fevers bad chest cough...sweats cold spells...been a week...i'm keeping him hydrated and fed...hoping we can get into someone on MONDAY!
    As long as there's still life in me
    No matter what...remember
    You know I'll always come for you

spent the afternoon at the Walk-In-Clinic today..both my girls had fevers, sore throat, body aches, headache and fatigue..lots of kids there with those symptoms..
    they both have strep.
    Dr said H1N1 is nothing to worry about uless you are an infant or if your immune system is supressed..

H1N1 is overrated. The government is doing exactly what it did back in the 70's when the swine flu broke out back then. Scaring the public for no reason. People survived the swine flu in the 70's and we will get through with the 2009 swine flu. Is there any reason why they have to use mercury in the flu vaccines? Something that is totally poisonous to our bodies? It never really made sense to me.

they have a single dose vial of the vaccines available that doesn't contain the mercury. only the multi-dosage vials have it in them.

h1n1 --fever comes on suddenly...
    anyway i had that respiratory infection--i guess im going on 4 weeks now
    im just getting better now....
    just drink that danactive yogurt with l caseis defensis in it lol

I hope your son is ok and I feel your stress as I find myself now worring about my family members ever sniffle or what ever and thinking it's the onset of this flu. This being said I have to tell you about my night. Around 11 my better half began complaining about a sore stomach and she went off to bed. Basically for two hours she would have to get up to go to the bathroom every 20 minutes or so. AFter a couple hrs she began vommiting also. So at 3 I listen as she gets up again and I hear her in the washroom followed by a loud thud! I jump out of bed and there she is sprawled out, eyes wide open with a million mile away stare on the floor. I go into panic mode and lift her limp body back to the bed and head for the phone. As I grab it I hear her call my name and shes wondering where she is. Basically she pleads with me to not call 911 and I watched over her the rest of the night. As of this morning she is much better with no upset stomach but just weak feeling. She never had a fever or resperatory symptoms either. I'm making her drink lots of fluids and will keep a close eye on her all day. I called the hospital last night and the person on the phone suggested I call tella health. What a mistake that was, put on hold and told they are all busy and call back in 2 hrs. I felt that going to emerge would be a waste. The tella health did say that h1n1 is always associated with sore throat/ coughing and a fever. I think she has/had picked up something along the lines of food poisening. I will watch close toay.

ultra she could have been dehydrated when she fell and had a blank stare..dehydration messes u up!!!!
    keep on making sure she drinks....gatorade too

her blood pressure may of been low as well and may of contributed to her passing out. When you have low blood pressure, when you lay down and dont move you are ok but as soon as you go to stand up or move you will drop and black out. She should go to emerg if she is still like that today.

The SAH has been flooded with these types for a week now. Its going around

I suspect you are right and I went out and bought some gatorade. You mentioned that maybe the dehidration caused the passing out and I agree but after 1 minute she was back. It is wild when someone goes into that state. Her body was but a shell of herself and you could tell her mind was detached and it wasn't my wife I was carrying. Then within a minute she was back and I could see it in her eyes.
    Last edited by Ultra54; 10-25-2009 at 05:39 PM.

Same thing just happened last week to my mom. Abdominal pain, etc... she was in the bathroom when my dad heard a thump. He ran to her and she was on the floor, she'd passed out between the bathroom and the chair she was heading to.

It took my mom about 3 or 4 days to feel like herself again.
    Its a nasty gastro-intestinal virus - I'd say.
    Attitude is contagious - is your's worth catching?
    The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..
    Make peace with your past, so it wont spoil the present

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information